Got hit by a scammer on EBay

bornagainbiker
bornagainbiker Posts: 127
edited December 1969 in Campaign
I've just gone through the utter ****ing hassle of selling my 20D Camera on ebay. Got a good price and was very pleased only to have this email sent by the 'winner'

thanks,i am happy to win your auction.i want you to know that i am buying this item as a surprise gift to my boyfriend ADEBAYO TAYO ,who his currently in africa nigeria for an industrial research as a gift of my heart.so kindly get back with an invoice of postage cost. which i have contacted royalmail and it should be up to 12 to 15 pounds,but i am adding 30 pounds to the item amount becos i want it ship on a sign for delivery.his address,p.o.box 510 badagry lagos state nigeria.pls send the invoive as soon as possible as i will make the paymnet as soon as i get the invoice, never worry as your money is secure. Am ready to pay you within 24hrs because i had log on paypal and i clicked send money and it asked me to filled a blank and type of currency i want to send and i choose pounds or is that not your choice? I copied your mail address in there and am very sure you will receive payment confirmation before today runs out or atleast tommorrow, because i want the item posted first thing tommorrow morning,thanx

I've also received some fake paypal emails telling me my money is waiting for me to collect once they get the camera.

I am so P*SSED [:(!] at this, I've contacted the other bidders and explained the situation and offered it at the bids they submitted. I've had to contact ebay and report it. It is alot of hassle and I'm really quite disolutioned with the whole 'EBay experience'.[:(!]

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    If you ask him nicely, he will throw in a Lottery win for you as well as the information that a wealthy relative has died and he can make you rich!!
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    You could maybe offer to tutor him in English?

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • splattcp
    splattcp Posts: 27
    This site is dedicated to revenge [}:)]
    Wont solve your problem but good reading

edit....link helps http://forum.419eater.com/forum/
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Honour this bid!

Send them a box containing something suitable!

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I sent them a nice email explaining that the ad only had the price to post within the UK and that I had checked the price to post to Lagos and it was alot more so I required a cheque from them for œ83 before I could post the camera to them.

Haven't had a reply as yet. [:D]
  • Did he also tell you that you are the sole beneficiary of the entire estate of a long lost relative?

<font size="1">'To be is to do' Jean-Paul Sartre

'Do Be Do Be Do' Frank Sinatra</font id="size1">
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had this a while back I was selling a pair of fins for œ45 I was send a cheque for œ2000 and I had to give then the change, took it to the police never heard anything after that

Non Omnis Moriar
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    Confuscious say: Only sell to Europe, US and Canada, only accept bids from people with Paypal accounts, if you sell with buy-it-now demand immediate payment, insist on postal insurance (do not make it optional), block bids from people with a feedback rating of -1 or with more than 3 non-paying notices logged in the last 30 days.

If only it were possible to block bids from people with less than a 100% feedback rating, and fewer than 100 fedback points...

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • With respect I've only got 8 feedbacks so you'd ban me?

Your being a bit harsh how the hell are you going to get any new mugs to pay over the odds for your items if you go down your route!!
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I have had my eBay account for about seven years and have been given bad feedback twice, both by total morons. According to you, I should be blocked from making any more bids desite the hundreds of good transactions. Nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Think Mill
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • I received an item bought on eBay that nowhere near matched the quality of the advertised goods. It also transpired that the seller had hijacked an eBay account with 100% rating to sell the items using Buy It Now.

No problem I thought, I paid via PayPal so I'm covered.

PayPal investigated and found in my favour within a few days.

Trouble is, PayPal will only refund me my money if the funds are in the offender's PayPal account. Seeing as the seller was a conman that's highly unlikely and as he would have emptied his account at the first opportunity.

The morale is, the PayPal protection policy isn't worth the paper it's written on.
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    Well, I'm not on eBay to make friends, or be nice, I'm there to make money, so apologies if it seems harsh. I just want to buy and sell with the minimum amount of hassle.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">how the hell are you going to get any new mugs to pay over the odds for your items if you go down your route!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Ah well, in the interests of hassle-free sales, I tend to sell decent things, fairly cheaply, and always with buy-it-now rather than auctions so nobody has to pay over the odds, new mugs or old [:D]

I've been on eBay for so long (since Jul 98, so my feedback sez) that I can't be bothered anymore with the faff of waiting weeks for payment, getting offered cheques when I've stated I only take Paypal, worrying that someone will get the item and then claim they didn't.. so I tend to be a bit mean and set my sales up so there's not much that can go wrong. If eBay ever does adopt my mean rules as a seller option, I'm sure there are plenty of other sellers who wouldn't be as mean as me.

ladyboy, if your Paypal account is credit-card funded, set the CC attack dogs on Paypal. Paypal may not agree to refund you, but Mastercard/Visa don't really care about that and should be able to yoink the money back, whether it's there or not.

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • Thanks dubnobass, I'll give it a try [:)]
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I agree with dubnobass. But there are those who can fake/inflate their 100% ratings by buying 1p items. Always look at what items a buyer has purchased.
    Use Paypal (with immediate payment), don't accept cheques (unless you know the buyer to be trustworthy). If you don't have a high buyer rating, then get one! You will find that once people read your feedback and see that your trustworthy you'll attract a better class of buyer. Also it shows that you have experience.

That's me out then! Got so sick of spoof Paypal mail clogging up my inbox that I caccelled my account over a year ago. Simply means that some sellers lose out cos if "Paypal Only", then I don't bid.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • Please don't take this the wrong way guys, but nigerians and Ebay have a bad history,

although these people could be throwing straight dice, why havent they thrown them the same way everyone on ebay does, i wouldn't risk it, they ve given you no money, all they can do is give you 1 negative feedback result...which you can then reply to telling the rest of the world what really happened

--

Insert stupid, possibly baby elephant realated, comment here......
  • Rigid Raider
    Rigid Raider Posts: 1,568
    Of all the Nigerian 419 scams I've read, this one actually rings true! She wants a camera for her boyfriend - apart from the possibility of losing the camera, what else is wrong with it? She hasn't offered to over-pay (yet) or to split 30 million dollars (yet).

Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
    Global TH1.5 Ti hardtail.
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    bornagainbiker - I take it you didn't actually send the camera at least??

<font size="1">For the first time.... my bike!!!</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • err, no.

Just reported it to ebay, and paypal.
  • then tell her the only way you will deal with her is the established ebay method.....

she can't really complain, and if she is genuine then no bother, but its that way round for a reason, my suspiscion is she ll recieve the camera but you ll never get a cheque back, or it will be for the wrong amount saying the camera was broken or something.

--

Insert stupid, possibly baby elephant realated, comment here......
  • Its a SCAMMER nothing more nothing less OK!

All this 'it could be genuine' b*ll*cks its going to Lagos Nigeria FFS. I can now see why they catch 'some' people out if you believe for a moment that this could be genuine.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    A friend of mine got caught in a similar scam after advertising his bike for sale in a local newspaper. They very generously offered to pay loads of money into his bank account!
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    Yes, it's a scam, but you haven't really been 'hit' by it. You recognised it for what it was, took appropriate action, and have simply been a bit inconvenienced. Life goes on. It's not worth thinking about giving up on ebay selling for!
  • my option would be to tell the bidder that they can have it to any uk address and have to pay by paypal or a UK cheque

they'll not aggree and you list it as an none paying bidder and get to re-list it for free.
  • whiskywheels
    whiskywheels Posts: 628
    e-bay and pay pal are unsound and unsafe. sell a bike easily and fro free on this site or http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/defaultGear.asp?sp=&v=2

www.whiskywheels.co.uk
  • rcuk (and bikemagic for mtb stuff) are quite good, but sellers have a tendency to price shall we say "optimistically"!

At least with ebay market is so large that the prices really do give a true "market value".

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"