Specialized Toupe

Paul Burgess
Paul Burgess Posts: 36
edited May 2007 in Workshop
Does anyone know if the extra œ10 for the Toupe Gel saddle is worth it over the standard Toupe? Do you find the standard saddle comfortable enough for 3hr+ rides on the bike?
Cheers
Paul

Comments

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I rode the stanadard toupe for a 10 hr run around Majorca a couple of weeks ago - no problems at all. A comfy bum saddle.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I've got the gel version and it's fine as well. The standard toupe is very hard on the sit bones, the gel version is an attempt to soften it up a bit.
  • i think the gel version has been manufactured with southern jessies in mind [8D]

nil satis nisi optimum
    nil satis nisi optimum
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Paul - i have the standard toupe (got one start of 2006) and rode it through a slew of sportives last year with up to 9 hours in the saddle. very comfortable except that sides occaisionally caused friction sores, but using some chamois cream the problems dissappeared.
  • Kilroy
    Kilroy Posts: 64
    I just got a Toupe Gel and went out this morning and did 40+ miles, 20+ the other day. This morning when I came back my "Sit Bones' were giving me hell. Could hardly bend down to open my shoes or walk up or down the stairs.
    Is this normal? I know a new saddle will take a few spins to "Bed down" but I was in a fair bit of pain, getting less now but still there.

(Did adjust the position after first spin.)

Did get sit bone width measured in shop.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Ridden the non-gel Toupe for about year...for me ok until about 4 hours and then not too comfy, just switched to an Arione and it is a big improvement. Guess it all comes down to what works best for you. At about 80kg, i'm probably a bit too heavy for a the Toupe.
  • It is no good asking soneone else if a saddle you fancy is comfortable. I know this from bitter experience!

I wanted a "comfortable" perch and was impressed by the writeup for the Thoork - although the reviewers always say when pronouncing something comfortable that it may be just that this particular saddle suited them.

Anyway, bought the Thoork and my experience was similar to Kilroy. Went for several rides over a couple of weeks and at first it was a bit painful but thought it may bed in with use. It is a gel saddle but it was like sitting on a concrete slab. On the last (40m) ride I was in agony and rode most of the 20m home standing up.

Changed to a softer saddle that had come of a bike just bought by another family member and it has taken 4 weeks for the pain to subside.

The Thoork was quite expensive, like the Toupe, and I now have to try and recoup some of this by finding someone who wants one.

The saddle I am using is so so and I am still looking for a better one. The problem is how do you know if one is OK for you without trying it? I would be wary of spending this kind of dosh again.

Phil
  • It is no good asking soneone else if a saddle you fancy is comfortable. I know this from bitter experience!

I wanted a "comfortable" perch and was impressed by the writeup for the Thoork - although the reviewers always say when pronouncing something comfortable that it may be just that this particular saddle suited them.

Anyway, bought the Thoork and my experience was similar to Kilroy. Went for several rides over a couple of weeks and at first it was a bit painful but thought it may bed in with use. It is a gel saddle but it was like sitting on a concrete slab. On the last (40m) ride I was in agony and rode most of the 20m home standing up.

Changed to a softer saddle that had come of a bike just bought by another family member and it has taken 4 weeks for the pain to subside.

The Thoork was quite expensive, like the Toupe, and I now have to try and recoup some of this by finding someone who wants one.

The saddle I am using is so so and I am still looking for a better one. The problem is how do you know if one is OK for you without trying it? I would be wary of spending this kind of dosh again.

Phil
  • Kilroy
    Kilroy Posts: 64
    Went out this morning for 3 hours and not a problem. No John Wayne gait. Good. Happy.
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    well i used a standard toupe at flanders on the cobbles and no problems what so ever and have just bought another for my next build.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Not being a fan of gel saddles, i would plump for the normal foam model everytime.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the normal one is pretty sweet - looks like a torture device - but is actually really comfy.

if you really want to spend the extra tenner - why not go for the limited edition world champ colour toupe??

or just save a tenner and about 100g too!
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Normal/non gel perfectly comfortable for long rides, in fact one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever used. Looks fine as well and is none too weighty so highly recommended.