Italian frame manufacturers?

doctwit
doctwit Posts: 7
edited June 2007 in Campaign
[:(!]ordered a Billato frame in january. 6 week delivery!
HA!
every single week since the end of february- 'oh its in the next delivery shipment'
Still no sign

is it cos i'm not Museew?

Comments

• Well Billato are a pretty big company, manufacturing for a variety of brands.

If it helps, the guy that ran the recently folded skinny wheels quoted Billato's constant bull**** about delivery times as being one of the frustrations in his business.

The cycle industry has traditionally been one of the most inefficient... the internet has pushed out some of the chaff in terms of retailers but I guess frame builders are still stuck in that vein. Just think back to the sorry Omega tale...

...don't hold your breath

<font size="1">'To be is to do' Jean-Paul Sartre

'Do Be Do Be Do' Frank Sinatra</font id="size1">
  • ynyswen24cp
    ynyswen24cp Posts: 37
    I remember the guy who runs FS Maestro telling me that he didn't stock Billato for just that reason, that was 10 years ago.
    mind you, I have one of their GAN period Lemonds and it still rides nicely after nearer 15 years so hopefully the wait will be worth it.
  • doctwit
    ah well, I did what every true british male does when truly angry- wrote a stiff letter. or in this case e-mail.
    it has been dispatched apparently.

possibly by flying pig

everyone tells me it will will be worth the wait.
    all i need now is the legs i had 15 years ago
  • doctwit
    ah well, I did what every true british male does when truly angry- wrote a stiff letter. or in this case e-mail.
    it has been dispatched apparently.

possibly by flying pig

everyone tells me it will will be worth the wait.
    all i need now is the legs i had 15 years ago
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I've ordered a Bianchi, the lbs says it'll be in mid next week (that'll be 2 weeks). However I was told that their other models are taking atleast 5 - 6 weeks.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    De Rosa, can't beat them whether its Ti, Alloy, Carbon or Steel.
  • dialforclown
    dialforclown Posts: 470
    I've just got a Bianchi Ti frame, the only size Evans had left in stock of the one I wanted. It's very nice though I have not spent emough time riding it. It's a lot better than the Al one I rode when investigating the last bike I bought.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lysander</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>
    But are they all made in Italy? Thats the question![:)]

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">They'll happily show you around the factory, unlike some other Italian manufacturers, which would suggest they haven't got anything to hide.

On both occasions I've visited they've been very busy building frames.
  • enigmajim
    enigmajim Posts: 32
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by giant man</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lysander</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Having been the UK De Rosa distributor for a number of years during my previous bike trade incarnation, I can confirm that all De Rosa frames are indeed made in Italy. The only exception is the Avant model which is made by Mizuno in Japan.
    Jim Walker
  • doctwit
    [xx(]
    latest update- frame arrived a week or so ago.

courier company put a fork-lift through the box
    TWICE
  • Sworkscp
    Sworkscp Posts: 113
    Ahhh De Rosa....Old Ugo and his son's will hopefully keep it real to the bitter end Jim,Can you confirm just one thing though...are the like Colango's definition of 'Italian' built....you'll know what I mean mate...tubes sourced,Italian glue n'all that stuff...?[:0][:I]

I hope not....I still have an SLX De Rosa hanging in the garage which was recently replace by and S-Works Tarmac...I still say that man hours aside,there is more passion and workmanship in the chainstays (Diamond shaped of course) in my De Rosa than there is in many of the modern frames made these days[xx(][;)][8D]

Dont you agree Jim[;)]

Id have a De Rosa anyday simply for the prestigious name which is second to none BUT my budget (even at trade[:X]) does not allow me to ride the Italian steed[:(][xx(][:I]
  • pgscp
    pgscp Posts: 1,102
    I bought a Colnago CT1 off the shelf, so no delivery issues, but it has been superb over years of quite hard use, I swear it has a brain, it certainly corrects wobble, and forgives rider error. It looks totally retro, could pass for a 50's bike at a distance, but the Titanium Carbon fibre mix and a traditional frame plus modern components make this a bike to keep. Many bikes are lighter, flashier, but for sheer comfort plus the joy of riding refined geometry this Italian bike is a gem.

I think Italian built Pinarello, De Rosa, Colnago and Bianchi are special, like Claudia Cardinale in her prime. As good a ride as you could get! Worth a wait I would say.

I could go for a Dino Ferrari in my wilder moments of fantasy as well.
  • Sworkscp
    Sworkscp Posts: 113
    "I think Italian built Pinarello[:D], De Rosa,[;)] Colnago(glued in Italy)[;)][:0] and Bianchi([?][:I])"

Carbon comes from a handfull of factorys in Taiwan....it can be sourced and glued elsewhere....its rarely what I would class as 'Italian' made like the 'brand' previously claimed...that said make no mistake it's NOT all the same quality[;)]
  • pgscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sworks</i>

"I think Italian built Pinarello[:D], De Rosa,[;)] Colnago(glued in Italy)[;)][:0] and Bianchi([?][:I])"

Carbon comes from a handfull of factorys in Taiwan....it can be sourced and glued elsewhere....its rarely what I would class as 'Italian' made like the 'brand' previously claimed...that said make no mistake it's NOT all the same quality[;)]
  • pgscp
    Sorry one click too many, my Colnago was definitely totally an Italian job. The design counts, and I see nothing wrong with Taiwanese manufacture nor quality control. Some good Colnagos are being produced at more competitive prices as a result.

Perhaps there is room for British road bikes to be built to the same standards as an off shoot of the car/aerospace industries ? A Tornado, a Mosquito, a Spitfire, might have marketing clout, especially if ludicrously expensive and made to exacting standards from exotic materials?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pgs</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sworks</i>

• doctwit
    [V] waaaah![:(]
    just want me bike!!
    it was all made worse by the fact i have seen the damaged frame.
    pretty.
    [:p]