Ventoux times?

sancho_panza
sancho_panza Posts: 183
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Does anyone have any info on "good" or standard times for Ventoux? (Amateur and pro) I've come across a table of times and categories in the past and can't seem to find it anymore.

Cheers in advance

Sancho

Comments

• morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I did it in 2 hours a couple of years ago. I a reasonabally fit person but don't race or take it too seriously. I think the record is under an hour
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Have a look at my site, linked below.
    I have worked this out after talking to our guests over the last 4 seasons.
    Our best guest time was a chap from Ipswich from Elmy Cycles (Sorry forgot your name [B)]) 1h 18m.
    Just had 2 guys this morning under 1h 30m which is pretty quick.

Iban Mayo has the record, 55m 51s in the Dauphin‚ TT in 2004.
    But like it says on my site the prize must go to Charly Gaul, 1h 2m in 1958 using a 42 chainring [:p][:p]

Craig

www.montventouxwebcam.com
    www.veloventoux.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craigenty</i>

Have a look at my site, linked below.
    I have worked this out after talking to our guests over the last 4 seasons.
    Our best guest time was a chap from Ipswich from Elmy Cycles (Sorry forgot your name [B)]) 1h 18m.
    Just had 2 guys this morning under 1h 30m which is pretty quick.

Iban Mayo has the record, 55m 51s in the Dauphin‚ TT in 2004.
    But like it says on my site the prize must go to Charly Gaul, 1h 2m in 1958 using a 42 chainring [:p][:p]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes - it was on your site I saw the table I'd referred to - I can't seem to find it though. I climbed it last week in 1hr 34 after getting to Chalet Reynard in 1hr04 I was desperate to get under 1hr 30 but it didn't happen. Should've laid off the Cotes du Ventoux the night before!

Your website looks good - didn't seem to be many tourists around; which is good for the roads - I hope business is good for you chaps. The tarmac is the best I have ever ridden - gt back and did a 60km ride in Stirlingshire yesterday and thought my bike was going to disintegrate.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    About 1hr 30.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • craigenty
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KingstonWheeler</i>

Don't forget you have three climbs to the summit. I presume the times mentioned above are from B‚doin, that's the traditional side. As Sancho Panza says, the road surface has been relaid and rides like velvet. I did 1.14 from B‚doin for the Cingl‚s ride (Cingl‚ = mad in French), where you ride all three roads to the summit in ride, and was lucky to have the calmest of days with no wind on my first climb. By way of reference, I'm a 3rd cat road racer but I've done Alpe d'Huez in 45 minutes and usually get gold standard in cyclosportives.

If anyone's interested in the Cingl‚s challenge, read more here: http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/ventouxthree.shtml and http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org

Ace! 1h 14m is awesome. What do you weigh?

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craigenty</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KingstonWheeler</i>

Don't forget you have three climbs to the summit. I presume the times mentioned above are from B‚doin, that's the traditional side. As Sancho Panza says, the road surface has been relaid and rides like velvet. I did 1.14 from B‚doin for the Cingl‚s ride (Cingl‚ = mad in French), where you ride all three roads to the summit in ride, and was lucky to have the calmest of days with no wind on my first climb. By way of reference, I'm a 3rd cat road racer but I've done Alpe d'Huez in 45 minutes and usually get gold standard in cyclosportives.

If anyone's interested in the Cingl‚s challenge, read more here: http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/ventouxthree.shtml and http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org

Ace! 1h 14m is awesome. What do you weigh?

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Also 45 mins up alp d'huez is motoring,about what most pros do (mind you,they have done a stage and are finishing on the alp)
    For referance,my times are just under the hour on the alp,& just over 1hr30 up ventoux (from Bedoin)

so many cols,so little time!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    Nice to be reminded of Eros Poli's win at Ventoux, I'd pretty much forgotten that.
  • craigenty
    Great stuff KW!

My best is 1h 25m 05s for The Ventoux and 59m 58s for the Alpe to the top.
    As you can imagine I was pushing to beat the hour and yes I was almost sick at the top [xx(]
    Mind you I'm 82 kilos [:(]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • craigenty
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Back to the Ventoux, there are a few timed hill climbs every year, some organised by Belgian/Dutch tour groups but others are more accessible. These aren't so much time trials, for riders start together in a bunch but inevitably it splits up quickly. For some typical times, see here http://www.velo101.net/resultats/lavent ... se2005.xls and look the times for the Grimp‚e, aka hill climb. and remember for these results, it was very windy on the day.

That was my good year! 109th scratch in La Ventoux, 6h 19m [:)]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I did it in 1hr35mins last year. Although that was part of the Mount Ventoux Cyclo Spotive, and I was never pushing too hard, as I still had another 80 miles and an ascent from sault to chalet raynard to contend with!

My average HR for the climb was 165.
    Mañana
  • rholyoake
    rholyoake Posts: 2
    I was out with Craig from Veloventoux a couple of weekends back and managed 1 hour 49 from Bedoin. Not bad for 94 kilos I thought, especially with hailstone at the top? No one caught me down the other side....!!!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rholyoake</i>

I was out with Craig from Veloventoux a couple of weekends back and managed 1 hour 49 from Bedoin. Not bad for 94 kilos I thought, especially with hailstone at the top? No one caught me down the other side....!!!

At last someone near my time. Sitting at 90kgs and 1hr48mins I am pretty similar to you rholyoake. I had great weather though and was with Craig as well - I have some awsome photos of the Ventoux. Its a great climb from both main sides but did not do it from Sault.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • craigenty
    Good luck on Sunday to you and Richard! [;)]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I'm out with Craig at veloventoux on 21/22 July. I'm going to ride up ventoux on the Sunday - while my wife sits down in the sun and demolishes a bottle of wine, perfect holiday as both of us happy - I've put what I think will be my route on Bikely.com
    Maybe Craig can tell me if it's an ok route or whether I should alter it a bit.
    Although I've set the route to do Maulcene - Bedoin I will be checking the weather and if the wind is blowing from Bedoin I'll go that way.
    I've put a triple on the bike - 105 50/39/30 with a 12-29 cassette. Hopefully that'll be enough. I know I can do the gradient, I've done 16 and 17% in Yorkshire, the problem for me is doing it for so long, the longest hill near me (Watford) is 2km and even if I go into the Chilterns it doesn't get a lot longer.
    I'll probably have to stop to eat as I go up because I just can't seem to open wrappers and ride at the same time - my wife says it the Y Chromosome

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Now just 88kg
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by craigenty</i>

Good luck on Sunday to you and Richard! [;)]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com

Thanks Craig and same to you and George if you are riding yourself.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • craigenty
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

I'm out with Craig at veloventoux on 21/22 July. I'm going to ride up ventoux on the Sunday - while my wife sits down in the sun and demolishes a bottle of wine, perfect holiday as both of us happy - I've put what I think will be my route on Bikely.com
    Maybe Craig can tell me if it's an ok route or whether I should alter it a bit.
    Although I've set the route to do Maulcene - Bedoin I will be checking the weather and if the wind is blowing from Bedoin I'll go that way.
    I've put a triple on the bike - 105 50/39/30 with a 12-29 cassette. Hopefully that'll be enough. I know I can do the gradient, I've done 16 and 17% in Yorkshire, the problem for me is doing it for so long, the longest hill near me (Watford) is 2km and even if I go into the Chilterns it doesn't get a lot longer.
    I'll probably have to stop to eat as I go up because I just can't seem to open wrappers and ride at the same time - my wife says it the Y Chromosome

Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007

I looked at the map Mike and it is almost exactly the way we go to Malaucene and Bedoin avoiding the main roads. Slight detour round Entrechaux to avoid a little climb but nothing that will bother you.
    It's 12km from here to Malaucene then another 12km over the Col de la Madelaine to Bedoin. A really nice warm up ride.
    21.5km up, 21.5km down(ish)then 12km back.

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

I looked at the map Mike and it is almost exactly the way we go to Malaucene and Bedoin avoiding the main roads. Slight detour round Entrechaux to avoid a little climb but nothing that will bother you.
    It's 12km from here to Malaucene then another 12km over the Col de la Madelaine to Bedoin. A really nice warm up ride.
    21.5km up, 21.5km down(ish)then 12km back.

Craig

www.veloventoux.com

Craig

sounds far too easy when you say it like that, some how I don't think it will be. Ivinghoe Beacon is the best training I'm getting for hills at the moment. The week before I come to you I will be in Pezenas so hope to get some rides in up to the hills north of there; Bois du Boutouri and around the resevoir as a bit of practice. Last year when I was in Agde every ride for 6 days was head on into the Mistral so I hope I miss that this year.........

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • rholyoake
    rholyoake Posts: 2
    Changing the subject slightly, but still on Ventoux - when I was slogging up the thing a few weeks back I noticed a proper roadie flying down with a small webcam strapped to his helmet[:)] Has anyone out there tried this and posted the footage somewhere? Seemed like a good momento to keep after all that work..
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>
    [. The week before I come to you I will be in Pezenas so hope to get some rides in up to the hills north of there; Bois du Boutouri and around the resevoir as a bit of practice.

gorgeous riding in the Languedoc-and there is a very friendly cycling club in Pezenas, with at least 2 local British members

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • david_scp
    david_scp Posts: 55
    I managed 1 hour 39 minutes from Bedoin on a nice calm day in April but with some snow on the road and the barriers down just above Chalet R preventing traffic going any further.
    It was magic coming back down with no cars, I was laughing and shouting encouragement at all the others going up. Just a really special feeling to have completed such a famous climb in a decent time, I don't do much training over long distances so was really haapy with what I managed.
    Good luck and enjoy that last few meters to the top, you'll sprint up there no problems! Amazing views when you get up there.
    You're gearing seems good, similar to what I had my bike converted to for the purpose.
  • craigenty
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rholyoake</i>

Changing the subject slightly, but still on Ventoux - when I was slogging up the thing a few weeks back I noticed a proper roadie flying down with a small webcam strapped to his helmet[:)] Has anyone out there tried this and posted the footage somewhere? Seemed like a good momento to keep after all that work..

Watch this space [;)]

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Slightly off topic I know, but with reference to one of the above replies, there is the Club des Cingles de Mont Ventoux (or something of that nature) which roughly translates as the Madmen of Ventoux. However for those total lunatics that actually do the fourth way up (the forestiere route) there is another title - Galerien. Does anyone know what this translates to ?
  • craigenty
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dsoutar</i>

Slightly off topic I know, but with reference to one of the above replies, there is the Club des Cingles de Mont Ventoux (or something of that nature) which roughly translates as the Madmen of Ventoux. However for those total lunatics that actually do the fourth way up (the forestiere route) there is another title - Galerien. Does anyone know what this translates to ?

Galley Slave, from Roman times.

Craig

www.veloventoux.com
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Fab - cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well i'm not scared to let everyone know that my time going up from both Bedoin and Maulecene was just over the 2 hours mark....I know its probably the longest times shown on this thread but I reckon it more the norm time...as I passed loads going up the beast....I reckon if I were to push it I'd probably do a faster time from Maulecene as I found this an much easier climb than form the Bedoin side, but being honest most weekend warrior types should be over the moon at just getting up the thing in one shot, never mind a bloody fast time.
  • hevipedal
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ken Night</i>

[. The week before I come to you I will be in Pezenas so hope to get some rides in up to the hills north of there; Bois du Boutouri and around the resevoir as a bit of practice.

gorgeous riding in the Languedoc-and there is a very friendly cycling club in Pezenas, with at least 2 local British members

<font size="1">"I once prayed to God for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness"
    </font id="size1">

I'll keep an eye out for them.

Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
  • lmrt
    lmrt Posts: 935

I'm a 3rd cat road racer but I've done Alpe d'Huez in 45 minutes and usually get gold standard in cyclosportives.

45 mins up the Alpe and you're only a THIRD CAT!!?? You ought to be a first - enter some very hilly races! Well done fella.

My own times were 1:45 on Ventoux (Bedoin route) nice conditions & 1:08 on the Alpe. Had to hold back near the top of the Ventoux as hunger knock was coming on. Went up the Alpe as hard as I could. Also a 3rd cat.