Commute distance.

Swannyriver
Swannyriver Posts: 19
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
Hello everyone,
as you can see, I'm brand new to this forum.
Out interest, what sort of distances do you commute on your bikes?

If this has been covered....I'll get me coat, but before I do, point me in the right direction where this has been covered,

Cheers,
Simon.
1977 Claud Butler Majestic.

1994 Saracen Tufftrax

2006 Marin Hawk Hill

2008 Brompton

Raleigh Grifter Mk 2

Comments

• 10-11 km (6 miles) bout 25-35 mins depending on lights, traffic, hangover etc...

--

Insert stupid comment here......
  • It's been discussed many times Swanny, but don't worry, there's no proper archive here so everything goes round and round in endless loops.

Me, urban commute of 5 miles each way.

What happens now is that those people with monster commutes post their mileages and everyone else doesn't bother. So don't worry if the average looks a little high.

Welcome to the forum btw.

--
    <font color="red"><b>Basil W Brush</b></font id="red">
    --
    <font><b>Basil W Brush</b></font>
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Welcome to the forum Swanny. Before I moved to the city, I'd take the train in the morning and cycle home the 17.5 mls at night. I found this a bit long every night but really enjoyable other nights. Now I've moved to the city I only commute about 4 mls (oneway going the long way), although convenient some nights I generally find this too short.
  • Welcome!

Commute across the city every weekday about 6 miles each way, taking about half an hour at a steady pace. Most of the delays are due to traffic lights (8 sets but several at major junctions with long waits if you time it wrongly - this is not counting ped crossing lights and roadworks).

Occasionally take the scenic route which is about 15 miles each way. Some of the roads have been getting as busy as the urban ones though, so may need to find a better route soon.

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • About 8 miles each way, mostly flat, fast riding partly through Richmond Park (home of many a club and leisure cyclist) into Hammersmith.

Generally a pleasant ride, with not too much traffic compared to other possible London suburban routes.
    "Tyres down on your bicycle, your nose feels like an icicle"
  • Mine is about 5.5 miles each way.
  • I do Belvedere to Orpington which is 9.65 miles.

'Don't Walk, Don't Smoke, Don't Drink', Don't Think'

\'Don\'t Walk, Don\'t Smoke, Don\'t Drink\', Don\'t Think\'

'I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f****n' mouth'
    Bill Hicks
  • 25miles each way

I prefer going up to coming down.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
  • It used to be 2.5 miles each way - then I was made redundant . . .

I prefer going up to coming down.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
  • 9 miles in (+15 by train), 24 miles out. Avg 3 times per week.
    Yes, but apart from the elephants, what have the Romans ever done for us?
  • a poxy 2.4 miles. uphill all the way home though!
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> a poxy 2.4 miles. uphill all the way home though!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Thats Edinburgh alright [;)] I'm 3.5 or 4mls uphill to work (depending what route I take) and downhill all the way home.
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    2-3 times a week, 18.5 miles in (mainly flat, one very big hill), 15.5 miles back (4 big hills) - often cheat and get the train most of the way home, esp if windy.....

How about you swannyriver?
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Welcome

29.3 Km each way Watford - Kennington
    After the snow last week I went the long way round the road instead of a short cut I take along a footpath, I found out it only saves me 500 metres - but it does mean about a mile that's mostly no traffic.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <b><font color="blue">Act your shoe size, not your age </font id="blue"></b>
    50yrs old and Proud of it - 6 inches off the waist
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    They said there'd be snow at Christmas
    They said there'd be peace on earth
    Hallelujah noel be it heaven or hell
    The Christmas you get you deserve
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    Hi Swanny

My commute is 3.6 miles each way.

Helen

.`..`....`..`...
    <i>Cycle commuting since September 2005</i>
    .`..`....`..`...
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Initially 10 mile round trip, then 18 then 12 and finally 14 over the past 20 years of commuting.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Swannyriver</i>

Hello everyone,
    as you can see, I'm brand new to this forum.
    Out interest, what sort of distances do you commute on your bikes?

If this has been covered....I'll get me coat, but before I do, point me in the right direction where this has been covered,

Cheers,
    Simon.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

14.4 miles each way 4 days a week. Time depends on mood, weather, time of day etc but normally about the hour mark, give or take 10 minutes.

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • About 13 miles each way for me - never fail unless I am ill, working off-site or one day when it was windy (and I felt a real wimp about that too). It takes about 20 mins longer than driving, but is much nicer, better for the environment and it keeps my fitness at a reasonable level.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    My commute is currently 5 miles each way. But have just signed myself up for a 14 miles each way (moving house) and I hope to do this every day.
  • As below

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • 16 miles each way from surrey to Canary Wharf. When I started in December it nearly killed me but now its pretty easy most days - Also I've only had 3 punctures and being knocked off once!
  • In winter 6 miles each way (+ long train ride), In spring/Autumn 12.5 miles each way (+ shorter train ride). In summer 35 miles in (no train ride), 6/12.5 miles (+train) dependant on weather out

Fat people are so insensitive

Fat people are so insensitive
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    Has anyone noticed that if you use a trip computer and take the exact same route to and from work you will get two different distances. Usually varies by about half a mile for my 7 mile commute. Can this all be down to different side of the road, going round roundabouts etc.?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • magnatom
    magnatom Posts: 492
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Has anyone noticed that if you use a trip computer and take the exact same route to and from work you will get two different distances. Usually varies by about half a mile for my 7 mile commute. Can this all be down to different side of the road, going round roundabouts etc.?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not mine. I get distance variations of 4.47miles - 4.49 miles. I reckon the variation is down to the amount of air in my tyres [:D]
  • 2.96 miles in, same home but can stretch it to include a bigger loop that can take anything from 40-ish minutes to just over an hour in either direction.
  • 13 miles each way. I normally only do it 3 days a week as my legs don't recover well, and I like to leave them with something so that I can go out at the weekend if I fancy it.
  • 6 inches normal, 9 inches ere...oh sorry, we're talking commute distances. May have been covered a hundred times but still always generates lots of responses. Given the opportunity we do love talking about how long ours is don't we?
  • 13 miles each way (funnily enough). Only managing once or twice a week at present due to lack of time in the morning most days and still getting over flu, but hope to up that somehow. Relatively speaking that's a vast improvement on last year when all cycling activity ceased by Halloween for weather reasons. 2007 the first year of my life when I've commuted by bike in January.

ps welcome. Feel free to ask about anything you like as often as you like but if you want to buy a new roadbike post it in Beginners - usually about 3 posts a day for that, all priceranges covered!

pps steer clear of red light jumping posts - seems to attract the knobs.

"A man's decapitated body lying on the floor, next to his own severed head. The head, which at this time, has no name..." "I know his name"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
This discussion has been closed.