Etape Caledonian

Anybody entered this event yet? Looks like a cracking route

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/

Flying Scot? You must be joking!

Comments

• KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    It's also quite expensive! Up my neck of the woods so I'll have a go. The website has quite a few broken links for all it's fancy appearance.
    Before I spend œ49, I'd like to know it's better organised than their web presence.
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    Yeah, I thought œ49 was a bit steep. I fancy giving it a go although I'll just be back from a 2-week holiday in Rodes the Wednesday before. I wonder if 'her indoors' will let me take my bike on holiday?

• daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Yeah it does look good, I have the same view about the œ49 anyone would think we are all abit tight [;)]

But what do you get for your œ49 is there anything that you get when you finish the ride? How much gos to the official charities.

I see the website still has to be updated with this information.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by daowned</i>

But what do you get for your œ49 is there anything that you get when you finish the ride? How much gos to the official charities.

I see the website still has to be updated with this information.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Hmmm, reading it again I'm not sure weather any of your 49quid goes to the charity. If they're negotiating to partner with selected charities, I'm wondering if there's the charity has to share some of the expenses of the event for the priveledge of being associated with it.

Does anyone know how it works with the London Triathlon?

Only 2,500 places mind. Better get your entries in soon.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • 49-effing-quid! I'm glad I've already committed myself to riding the Dumb Run overnighter from Dumbarton to St Andrews then home on the same date...
  • Great route, great idea. But no thanks at œ49.
    Peter
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    There is a 204 km audax at Johnstone the same day. œ4.50 to you.

If you are fit, you don't need exercise. If you are unfit, the last thing you need is exercise.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks œ49 is a bit steep - at first I thought it was maybe just the combination of being a Yorkshireman living in Scotland!
    Yes, but apart from the elephants, what have the Romans ever done for us?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ghitchen</i>

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks œ49 is a bit steep - at first I thought it was maybe just the combination of being a Yorkshireman living in Scotland!
    G Hitchen. Will QUID49- cover a family meal at the new chippie when it opens?
  • WakeMalcolm - 49quid will buy me a meal for two + wine at La Potiniere and I can ride around Perthshire for free to work it off! Anyway, I can't see it being a chippie given that there's already one in Aberlady.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ghitchen</i>

WakeMalcolm - 49quid will buy me a meal for two + wine at La Potiniere.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Is that place any good since it lost its michelin star? What's the takeaway looking like it's going to be? An Undiun?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is that place any good since it lost its michelin star? What's the takeaway looking like it's going to be? An Undiun?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Have to admit I've only been once, in autumn of last year, and it was excellent. I would recommend it and I've never heard anything but good reports from anyone I know who has been.

No rumours on what the new place will be yet, other than the developer's ridiculous comment that it will "be upmarket, possibly offering pasta"! Bit of a trek from Ratho for a carry-out pizza though, I would have thought.
  • closed roads for whole 83 miles - that's why the entry fee is so steep (Traffic cops on overtime). Better treatment than the pro's get on the TOB.!!!! Will have a think about it at
  • ch64
    ch64 Posts: 13
    To me the money is not really the bone of contention....its the route!
    Compare it to the Etape du Tour route map and it seems a walk in the park!!! Now i am not the best climber in the world BUT if i were to pay œ49 (and i might anyway)i would want to feel that i got my moneys worth and pain, sweat and swearing. Does the route not look a bit flat to you? Maybe trying to appeal to the masses and not what may be regarded a 'real' sportive riders...whoever they are.

How much does the Etape du Tour cost? Cheaper i imagine BUT the culture towards cycling here in France and Italy is very different to the UK. I can image that Dept of health and safety (does that exist in France and Italy)is a real pain in the derriere and that insurance etc is not cheap.
    Cost aside i think it is great that someone has managed to organize it and i think it might be a right hoot.

See you there

Chris
  • Think about it. Once your 6 hours into the race and the fastest finished 2 hours earlier and you have still 2 hours plus to go. I guarantee you will not have closed roads.
    There is no way that the roads which although small are main access to local communities will be closed for 5 plus hours for the stragglers, i.e. me (if i were to do it).
    So, yes initially they will be closed but as the day goes on they will open despite cyclists still being on them.

Peter
  • can only go by what's in the comic this week - but they are reporting that it will be a series of closures and that the sections will be closed for up to 5 hours - which is presumably why they are stating that anyone entering the 83mile route has to average 12mph (so that they are within the boundaries/time limits for closed sections).

If they genuinly want it to succeed and become an annual event (despite the cost) then they would have to ensure that folks get what they paid for ie closed roads as per the 12mph restriction otherwise folk will simply not bother for subsequent years
  • I think if they genuinely want it to succeed they need to find a more interesting route. A lap of Loch Rannoch is a nice proposition if you forget to set your alarm clock on a sunny sunday but a classic route it is not. It's not as if they had nothing to go on in the area either. There's the access routes from the Loch Tay side to Glen Lyon and there's the south side of Loch Tay road too. Heading a wee bit further south there's Loch Katrine

I can't make it that date but I hope it's successful enough to make the organisers want to do it again but not so successful that they just apply the same template and copy and paste for 2008.
  • tombt
    tombt Posts: 121
    I could think of better ways to get rid of œ50.
    Ironic isn\'t it, that God gave the tortoise a drag factor of 0.03.
  • Well, I've entered it.

My brother really wanted to have another go at a cycle sportif event after doing the bealach last year and this was one of the few that was free in my time frames. I know its not going to be as hard as things like the bealach, but hey-ho , its another route to try. It looks as though they are marketing it more towards free to anyone to try rather than some of the other challenges which are more towards the medium to upper ranges of cycling ability.

œ49 is steep, but if the roads are really closed then I think it would possibly be worth it.

I think i'll be hurting though... Its sandwiched inbetween 2 endurance events i've put myself in for. I must be nuts.

MTB eijit
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Well, I've entered too, good day out and a great route, OK so it isn't the Galibier but it's still great roads and scenery.
    œ49 is a lot but I could spend that on a meal out for 2 and have forgotten it next week, hopefully the etape will be a pleasant memory years from now.
    The closure, btw, is a rolling one and the roads wont have to be closed for longer than the planned 2 hours which should separate the majority of the slower riders from the "winner". It's only an 83 mile and the time difference between 25mph average and 15 mph is only (hunts for calculator, can't find it...say 5.5 - 3.5) about 2 hours"!
  • According to Cycling Weakly the road closure cost a "five figure sum"!

Mind you, I remember riding the same route during foot and mouth. Not a single car passed me then!

www.stirlingcycling.org.uk
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crispin Bennett</i>

Mind you, I remember riding the same route during foot and mouth. Not a single car passed me then!
    The last time we were round the end of Loch Rannoch, we got passed by 0 cars but did get bitten by 1 dog.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Crispin Bennett</i>

According to Cycling Weakly the road closure cost a <b>"five figure sum"!</b>

www.stirlingcycling.org.uk

œ100.15 ? [;)]
  • I can understand that the road closures are very expensive. Looking at the papers at the weekend the reported cost of closing the roads for the Edinburgh Marathon last year was around œ140,000. If for instance the 'extra œ20' this event costs over a lot of other sportives goes towards road closures, then with 2,500 participants, it equates to œ50k.
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Road closures cost a fortune!

To close a 6km stretch of blackpool prom for 2hr cost over œ600 for the "ride the lights event" last year - so 83 miles for 6hours - I dread to think.

Don't get me wrong - someone is making some money, but not as much as you would think.

I quite fancy it actually and the fact that it isnt the same level of difficulty as the real etape is appealing.
  • 2Smart
    2Smart Posts: 105
    I'm interested. I rode all these roads in 2005 when I was on holiday and did not find the big Schiehallion climb too difficult from either direction. I think it will be a nice challenging route for an average rider but not overly difficult. Shame it doesn't go up to Rannock station but as you have to comeback the same way I can see the problem with that; but was also a bit surprised that the route doesn't go over Ben Lawers and Bridge of Balgie which I thought was one of the best routes around there.
  • I'll be giving it a burl too, my first organised event other than the pedal for scotland pantomime and looking forward to it - although with some trepidation I must admit, knowing neither the area nor my own real ability over that distance.

Ultimately my aim is to find and shake the hand of Fisha for commuting in that snow the other week. You, sir, are out of your mind.

"A man's decapitated body lying on the floor, next to his own severed head. The head, which at this time, has no name..." "I know his name"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Will it be treats with Pocket and Sweets? Is that where we should go?
  • muthas
    muthas Posts: 108
    Caveat emptor! - read the terms and conditions and make sure you can definetely make it. If you do enter and then have to withdraw as I have had to, after 7 days of booking you are not entitled to any of your money back. Also, you have to register in person the Saturday before (which is a pain if you don't live near the registration point or are planning to travel up on the Saturday).

Despite losing 50 quid however I think it looks like a good ride and am v peeved at having to miss it.
  • yeah - i saw that saturday reg thing . . . . bit strict, but making it on the day could be difficult if they do indeed get upto the 2500 riders.

Which brings another. I did the Bealach last year and 500 riders seemed a lot . Goodness knows what a rammy 2500 folk will be like.

MTB eijit
  • Fisha

They'll probably not have a 90 degree bend 100 yards from the start line. Either that or the back of the field will be able to start their breakfasts whilst watching the race start.

I've had the same genes on for 13774 days now.