Omega Latest-est

pieinthesky
pieinthesky Posts: 417
edited December 1969 in Pro race
Have just come back after a weekend away and find 30 new posts on the Omega thread but no Omega thread.

Can anyone fill me in on what was said as I do have a vested interest.

Thankyou

Comments

• The post de-generated into some pointless and juvenile accusations and name calling and was removed by the moderator.
  • Nothing new or of note then.

Thanks
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    Actually it was new, but irrelevant and with an unpleasant edge beyond those relating to business misdemeanours. Ben from Omega also confirmed that Mark Reilly is an employee (frame designer) of Jim Walker now and has no financial stake in Enigma.

Take care,

Steve.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • It is very disappointing that the Omega thread was hijacked by(and removed because of) a contributor making detestable accusations that have no place on this forum.

I hope that the person involved realises that they have simply embarrassed themselves. This person's actions have also led to the removal of a forum thread that was shining a light on an operator who by his disresputable business practices is performing a grave disservice to and on behalf of the UK bike industry and who has left a number of fellow forum members substantially out of pocket.

It would be a shame if the inglorious actions of one forum contributor were to distract from this message.

The Greg
    The Greg

"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he 'rubbed' you. And rubbin', son, is racin'!"

FCN 4
  • While I agree that the tone of the postings was not always appropriate, surely, it would be a bit cynic to think that maybe C+ did not want the name of a potential new advertiser being adversely affected because what was posted on its forum?

=====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
    =====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
  • Mark_U
    Mark_U Posts: 2,452
    I didn't see anything in the Mark Reilly thread that justified it's removal . I'm getting a bit sick of the moderators actually . People who lose money aren't going to be very happy about it are they ?
  • Why can't they just hide the post itself rather than the whole thread ala what happens on the BBC Forum site.

Surely a better idea?

The only place success comes before work, is in the dictionary

Vive les All Blacks!!! [:D]
  • Dinner lady didnt help, nor did the gay stuff
  • tstegers
    tstegers Posts: 300
    <font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">I was disappointed not to be able to find the Omega threads this morning...

The value of small depoits was illustrated to me in the early 80's. Two people I knew bought kitchens from Mob*n, a company that might have been bust more often than companies associated with Mark Reilly, nee Joynt. The first of the kitchen buyers paid in cash and in full, as he ordered. A friend whom he recommended paid a 5% deposit with his order some months later. Mob*n went bust. Within two weeks of this event the customer who had paid a 5% deposit had his kitchen fitted. The person who had paid in full was predictably annoyed to hear about this and contacted the receiver/liquidator: he had been waiting longer and had paid in full. It was explained to him that the supply of his kitchen represented a loss to the company in liquidation because it already had all his money. The supply of the kitchen on which they only had a 5% deposit however represented an unrealised profit...

I met Joynt - Reilly to be (did he get married?) in 2001 at the Manse Parade premises in Swanley. I wanted a Ti frame and struggle with stock frames because I do not have stock dimensions. I thought the person I dealt with was suspect but still paid a œ300 deposit on my credit card. Subsequent contact marked the people of Omega as r-soles. I could have had my œ300 back via the credit card company. I decided I deserved to pay the fees of experience for being an r-sole for knowingly dealing with r-soles and walked away. For anyone tempted to deal with any company even remotely associated with verbally double Joynted Reilly I would suggest you lie down until the feeling goes away or only pay a very small deposit...

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tstegers</i>

<font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">. I could have had my œ300 back via the credit card company. I decided I deserved to pay the fees of experience for being an r-sole for knowingly dealing with r-soles and walked away.
    Theo Stegers
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Have I read this right? YOU thought YOU needed to be taught a lesson so decided AGAINST getting your money back via the CC Company!!? [:0]

Put your hand up if you have too much money!!

• stelvio
    stelvio Posts: 1,422
    very grateful that this has been discussed openly as i have been saving for that "special bike" and Omega was on the short list.
  • I doubt very much that it was due to C+ being worried about offending a (potential) advertiser; rather it would be more likely to avoid repeating (potential) libels. Even a revamped/rebooted Omega/Enigma isn't going to mean thousands of quid flooding into the Future Publishing coffers every month.

It seems that every time a thread is pulled Future is accused of being in the pocket of advertisers; it's much more likely that they're pulled for very good legal reasons.

While there is advertising on the C+ website, my guess (I'm not privy to such info) is that it's small beans, and wouldn't cover the cost of any legal action (or even getting paying for external legal advice). If that's the case, then Future is surely right to pull questionable threads/posts whenever even potentially dodgy statements are made. And, let's face it, we haven't got time to check every single statement made on this website...
  • I did see Mark on the Enigma stand at the Cycleshow on Friday, along with all the other people I have seen when dealing (successfully) with Omega. The bikes look just the same.
  • tstegers
    tstegers Posts: 300
    <font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">4T's,

As it happens I was in financial shi** at the time. But you can not be picky with "caveat emptor", you either subscribe to it or not. I had read Robert Millar's report on Omega frames in ProCycling before I went to Manse Parade. If the language Millar used to rubbish them - "frog on a matchbox" is one comment I recall - had not been so extreme I'd have been more inclined to believe him. I saw a so called Chinese proverb that summed up my feelings at the time: Money lost - nothing lost. Humour lost - something lost. Reputation lost - everything lost.

I would be surprised if the Joynted one sleeps well, I doubt he really does anything well. By the sound of things - "a premises full of boxes of frames" witnessed by one of the posters to the thread that was taken down - he buys his frames in. The person he damages most is himself, though I doubt Jim Walker will come away unscathed if he persists in his association. What was Omega's reputation really built on? As far as I could see one apparently favourable comment from Sean Yates.

Theo Stegers
    Theo Stegers
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tstegers</i>

<font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">4T's,

What was Omega's reputation really built on? As far as I could see one apparently favourable comment from Sean Yates.

Theo Stegers

Boll*cks!

The reputation was built on excellent bikes ....... which they are were. Sean's comments certainly increased their profile, but the bikes stood up to review on their own.

• The review from Marcel Wurst in Procycling was extremely positive also. Thought everyone was in agreement that the product was never at fault during all the problems.
  • We are in agreement. This bloke's comments seem a little off the wall. Also, given he never actually received his bike (and for that I feel sorry for him) I don't think he's in a position to comment on how good they are.

I did, so feel like I can. Ditto for a friend who recommended them to me.

• I never recieved mine but the Alchemy I test rode was awesome and it's worse because I know what I'm missing! :-(
  • You could always get an Enigma - same bike, different name that's all.

I know that comment will seem shocking to other people but if you look at this with no emotion then you will realise that Mark is not running the company, Jim is. It's Jim's capital on the line, Mark is merely the designer and it's Jim who is funding the business so you are dealing with a different business altogether.

Why did it fail last time? Because Mark was undercapitalised and ran the operations poorly. Jim seems to have a longer history of running a successful business so therefore you'd expect a more businesslike turn around time from order to delivery.

Have some frank and upfront discussions with the company and Jim if he is available (isn't he wanting to help sort out a deal for those that didn't get bikes?) and expect some definite realistic timeframes and pay by credit card.

If it goes pear shaped then we'll all scream from the rafters about this failing again and I'm sure that will have a larger knock on effect for the rest of Jim's business as well.

Of course I wouldn't blame you for going "screw him, hope it fails, he's not getting a penny of my hard earned cash" either.

• ludwig
    ludwig Posts: 926
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Dinner lady didnt help, nor did the gay stuff<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Is The Dinner Lady gay then?
    I didn't know that.

I had a chat with Mark on Sunday and he seemed very positive and not at all despondent about Omega.
    I asked him if it would all get resolved and he said it would...then added rather critically 'one way or another'.
    I got the feeling that he's washed his hands of the Omega debacle and wants to move on.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    So that's a NO then by the sounds of it? What else could we expect?

Argon 18 Platinum - Campagnolo Record - Mavic Ksyrium SSC SLs
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Withers</i>

it would be more likely to avoid repeating (potential) libels.

What was potentially libellous?

'Son of Tisander,' he cried, 'you have danced away your marriage.' 'Hippocleides doesn't care,' was the reply. Hence the common saying, 'Hippocleides doesn't care.'

'Son of Tisander,' he cried, 'you have danced away your marriage.' 'Hippocleides doesn't care,' was the reply. Hence the common saying, 'Hippocleides doesn't care.'
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ludwig</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Dinner lady didnt help, nor did the gay stuff<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Is The Dinner Lady gay then?
    I didn't know that.

No, I've been happily married to my husband, Richard for 15 years.

Dinner Lady loves Dick.
  • Here are the pictures of the new Enigma bikes...

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/artic ... 03/v/1/sp/
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I wonder if they'll get the custom frame which they ordered [:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AngryNortherner</i>

Here are the pictures of the new Enigma bikes...

• <font color="red">'...every Enigma has been fashioned to imbue prodigous <font color="blue">[sic]</font id="blue"> power transfer and sublime comfort, every detail tweaked to reach cycling nirvana.'</font id="red">

FFS [V]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Top_Bhoy</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AngryNortherner</i>

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gran E. Gear</i>

<font color="red">'...every Enigma has been fashioned to imbue prodigous <font color="blue">[sic]</font id="blue"> power transfer and sublime comfort, every detail tweaked to reach cycling nirvana.'</font id="red">

FFS [V]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Top_Bhoy</i>

It did cross my mind to email the author to ask if he knew that there was nothing 'new' about these bikes.

Then I had a re-think because as I've preached before, it's a new company so let's not drag Jim down the same path as Omega so I did. Rather, give it a chance and let it flourish. That way others like AngryNortherner may get their Alchemy (or whatever it's called now) and be a little happier.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I wouldn't buy any product connected with Mark Reilly after the way he has lied repeatedly over the Omega affair - I don't think anyone else should either whether he owns the company or not. Plenty of other good titanium frames to choose from and companies like Litespeed have more chance of being around to honour any warranty they offer.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Dear Bin and Mork and Jam (I know you read this)

Reading the Road Cycling article from the show makes me want to vomit. To think how much money and effort was put into your display and how you have discarded your used customers is thoroughly sickening. Were they our bikes on display? You know, the ones WE paid for! Can we have them now or have you sold them again?

Please can you tell us your definition of "Cycling Nirvana" It would be interesting to compare it with our experiences!
  • To Mark Reilly or Ben Wright.

Mark said in his letter dated 2nd Oct that he would contact me soon to "discuss options".

He has not contacted me and I cannot get hold of either of you by any other means. Hence using this forum.

I would appreciate some contact to know what is going on?

Regards

Mike

PS Anyone know their number or and e-mail which will get a response?