Make a Pledge for the Simpson Medal

treborb
treborb Posts: 986
edited April 2005 in Pro race
I've put up a page at http://www.widerworld.co.uk/simpson in response to this thread: http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... C_ID=62331 to see how much we can raise.

Of course, this will only work if you honour your pledges. If you have any problems, let me know at s b e n n e t t [at] widerworld.co.uk

Comments

• treborb
    ps, We have 5 days. How do we make a thread sticky?
  • Roadrash Dunc
    Roadrash Dunc Posts: 2,683
    And at the risk of not recieving as many pledges , please dont pledge wont you dont/cant intend on coughing up at a later date!
    Send a message to a mod treborb , or go and look in another part of the forum - they hang out in the 'Office' right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RRD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • treborb
    bump
  • cyclingnut
    cyclingnut Posts: 752
    I will pledge some cash (and will pay if it is won) but I honestly think it will go for a serious sum of money, between œ1200 & œ1500.

PS <bump>
  • Evilchuffycp
    Evilchuffycp Posts: 7,387
    Done!
    [:D]

Fleas wot go PING!!!

Fleas wot go PING!!!
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Maybe somebody should check that we're not bidding against the people we want to donate to?

Have pledged and have posted link elsewhere so my American forum chums can pledge too
  • Good point micron - when I looked earlier though, the current high bidder was someone called pantani454 or something like that....maybe Marco is bidding from beyond the grave!

It always hurts, but its worth it....
  • treborb
    Perhaps Future Publishing and/or C+ would like to help out?
  • treborb
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by micron</i>

Maybe somebody should check that we're not bidding against the people we want to donate to?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

OK. I emailed the bidders with the following question:

"Hi. I see you are bidding on the Simpson medal -- I'd just like to check whether you are bidding as a private buyer, or on behalf of a museum or organisation which intends to keep the medal in the 'public domain'."

I got this reply from blue_dougal:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    "I am bidding in a personal capacity and was planning (if successful) to donate the medal to the Tom Simpson museum in Haworth - since I agree strongly that this should remain in the public domain.

I am going to step down now as I understand that there are public bodies involved in the bidding and it clearly doesn't make sense to push up the price any higher than necessary!"

This from ormondroyd:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    "I was putting out a feeler with a view to buying privately but permanent loaning it somewhere public domain. As it happens, the previous bidder had set a higher maximum bid anyway, and I wouldn't be keen to bid higher without being more sure of its legitimacy.

I note though that on the cyclingplus forum something is being organised. I'm not likely to bid again, so will have a look into maybe donating to that."

And from graham03:

"Thanks for your email. I am bidding in a private capacity. As a matter of interest, let me pass on the fact that I have been contacted by a representative of the Tom Simpson museum who has said that it is not in fact the winner's medal but merely one of 2 participation medals that he brought back from the championships - the other is apparently in the hand's of one of his relatives. So, still a very interesting item but not quite as unique as the advertisement suggests."

It appears the medal is not all it's cracked up to be.

The inscription, "Campeonatos mundiales di cyclismo 1965/ San Sebastian Espagna" doesn't mention winning, it's a competitor's medal; but still an important one.
  • Should still be in the tom simpson museum IMHO, but perhaps not worth as much as people are bidding!

It always hurts, but its worth it....
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by treborb</i>

"Thanks for your email. I am bidding in a private capacity. As a matter of interest, let me pass on the fact that I have been contacted by a representative of the Tom Simpson museum who has said that it is not in fact the winner's medal but merely one of 2 participation medals that he brought back from the championships - the other is apparently in the hand's of one of his relatives. So, still a very interesting item but not quite as unique as the advertisement suggests."

It appears the medal is not all it's cracked up to be.

The inscription, "Campeonatos mundiales di cyclismo 1965/ San Sebastian Espagna" doesn't mention winning, it's a competitor's medal; but still an important one.

If it's 'only' a 'mere' competitors medal then of course it isn't as valuable as the actual winner's medal, but still it's worth something, a bit of Simpson's history that would ideally belong in a museum in the UK. But if it's being sold, perhaps innocently, as the "winner's" medal then that is a misdescription and the seller should really be asked to amend the listing or Ebay informed. It's not desirable that that piece of history should be allowed to be sold as something it's not, at a price it isn't worth, and which might prevent its acquistion by anyone wishing to bring it into the public domain at its 'true' value.
  • I've been speaking with sevearl cycling historians about this and all of us a VERY sceptical about it.

Just make sure you know what you're bidding for, unless it has Tom Simpson's name on it, it has little real value.

Roger the Hilldodger. Homer Simpson's body double.
    Cyclemagic - silver award winner in the transport section at the 2005 Green Life Awards
    www.cyclemagic.org.uk
    Roger the Hilldodger.

Cyclemagic - the UK\'s leading community cycling project www.cyclemagic.org.uk
  • treborb
    I've pulled the pledge page (www.widerworld.co.uk/simpson). Well done all for putting your pledges in -- I'll email everyone accordingly.

I've also notified all the bidders of the true nature of the medal, in case they weren't aware.
  • rgisme
    rgisme Posts: 1,598
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by treborb</i>

I've pulled the pledge page (www.widerworld.co.uk/simpson). Well done all for putting your pledges in -- I'll email everyone accordingly.

I've also notified all the bidders of the true nature of the medal, in case they weren't aware.
    Well, the seller should be asked to pull it himself, since he's misdescribed it and that should make all the bids invalid. If he won't then ebay should be asked to pull it for him. But of course, there's no reason why anyone of us has to take that particular responsibility upon ourselves - I guess it's up to any of the existing bidders and especially the top one, if they want to do anything about it now they've been told.
  • Roadrash Dunc
    Roadrash Dunc Posts: 2,683
    Thanks for organising it anyway treborb.Good work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RRD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~