Understanding Downhill Tyres

12346»

• G3zzG3zz Posts: 38
    Cheers Alex...looks like 2.35s it is then :D
  • joshtpjoshtp Posts: 4,329
    Alex wrote:
    You can't get the proper (named) maxxis tyres without dual plys, so i'm taking that as given.
    errr, WRONG! i have highroller 2.5 maxxpro 60a singleply's.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • i've found the swampthings on my mates bike to work alright in the dry once they're worn down a bit, but i live in cumbria so my local trails tend to stay damp or wet for much of the year so its not much of an issue

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • DibzDibz Posts: 12
    Anybody have an views on the contintental kaiser or rain king? Other than the £50 price tag... :lol:
  • All you need is a set of Maxxis Highrollers and Wetscreams in 2.5"- I rarely use the Wetscreams though, it doesn't get muddy enough!
  • Ok, I've read all the good advice above and want to see if you agree with what I'm thinking of buying.

I've got a Nomad with 2.4 Ardent 1 ply 60s. Great for general trail use and a bit of dry DH, not much good on wet slippy DHs though, plus prob lacking in strength for proper DH abuse. I want a tyre for DH in Scotland (not racing), Alps (Mega), Spain. Was thinking High Roller 2.35 or 2.5 2 ply 42F/60R. What do you think? Not sure about the width, I'm 12 stone.

Thanks in advance.
  • Mf-RacingMf-Racing Posts: 148
    Hi guys.

Looking for some advice on tyres for the Mega, doing it for the first time this year on my 2009 Remedy 8! Can’t wait!!

I thinking of going 2.5 on the front and 2.35 on the rear (as 2.5 looks like it;s goanna be tight on the chainstays) and thinking of going for a Minion (super soft) on the front and a High Roller (Med compound (60a?)) on the rear. Both Dual Ply and ruining with tubeless with Stans.

What do you guys think? The Mega looks pretty rocky, and I don’t mind the rear sliding, but what the front to be solid. O and I need them to last all week in the Alps.

Any Advice?

Cheers
    2009 Trek Remedy 9
    Megavalance 2010 - Done!
    Megavalance 2011 - In-training!
    www.mf-racing.co.uk
  • lochussielochussie Posts: 276
    Hope you get more replies than I did! A super tacky should last you a week, it does me. But it might be muddy, so maybe high roller on front too?
  • I too am just catching up re tyres for dh.
    I have a Whyte t129 which is obv not a dh bike, none the less Im riding mega on it next month. Trying to figure out which tyres to plump for. MAxxis minion dual ply 42 a maybe?