Understanding Downhill Tyres

• Its england and it's winter, so forget the minions. Also, assuming you don't do road miles to your track, a supertacky will last 6months plus unless you're a hamfisted brake grabber.

If you're running stickier tyres, there's no need to run such big tyres. So shelve the 2.5s and get some nice fast 2.35s. If you really must have a maxxpro, run it at the rear and have a super at the front. That way you'll stay upright over wet roots.

Highrollers will perform better than minions in the wintery stuff. Don't use anything but doublewall.

I think what i'm trying to say is:

Doublewall 42a 2.35" highroller, or equivalent.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,805
    Nice sig. Subtle.
  • There's a fair bit of raod involved in the riding too!
    So, does that mean go for the maxxpros?

How can you tell if it's a double wall, you got any links of where to buy from in the UK please?

Thanks for your help!
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 06
  • Yeah, go for the maxxpros, or better still, get a lift. There's not a lot of grip on the rooty stuff during winter if you're running 60a shoes.

Doublewalls are clearly marked by being 500g heavier than the singlewalls, it also says so on the packaging and sales blurb.

Maxxis tyres are available from pretty much everywhere, with Chain Reaction (online) and Descent-world (at races) being the cheapest.

As for you Matt, I can get the very subtle one out if you like, but I quite one that reflected the subtle way I was offloaded with no thanks for four years work.
  • lol, I'd like to get a lift, but it isn't possbile. But during Autum and Summer, the Minions would be fine, yeah?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4621

They're double wall aren't they? Thanks! :D
  • Also, sorry, what's the difference between the High Roller and the Minions?
  • Can anybody explain?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 82,097 Lives Here
    www.maxxis.com

tread pattern.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • There's a very extensive post from Alex on the first page of this topic explaining all this Kornowski.
  • Ok, sorry about that! Just looked at it, it was very helpfull.

Maxxis High Rollers, Maxxpro 2.5 for me then.
  • what would you recomend running for riding on slippery mud that covered in leaves? the underlying dirt is peaty n quite soft with some semi compacted stuff underneath it. There is also sum off-cambre rock gardens and a hell of a lot of roots etc. I weigh bout 12 n half stone n have 35/40 quid to spend on a pair?

anyhelp would be really appreciated.
  • grantwaygrantway Posts: 1,430
    Im using Swamp Things at the moment

42a tacky up front
    60a on the rear.

Swampys let me rip down has in the dry and the tacky up front
    grabs on the rocks and wet slimey roots.

Cant see the High Rollers holding out on the mud
    being the tread pattern has theres no tread between the
    centre and edge, so leaning to corner may bring many slide outs.

If wrong please let me know.
    Now Orange 5 AM
    Then Giant XTC 3
  • dagzindagzin Posts: 70
    i use swamp things 2.35 at the mo 2, wet, dry whatever had no worrys
  • wannwann Posts: 11
    i'm prepair for downtown race now i dont know which tyre must i'm used?...
    now i have kenda nevegal 2.35 and maxxis mobster 2.7 &2.5....
    which one bro?.......for your info cerdric gracia and steve peat also came to malaysia at 18-19 oct next week......so i need your help...thanks....
  • What would you people recommend for ~20% steep downhill firetrails..... mostly dry, sandy conditions with pine needles and plenty of volcanic rocks strewn about?

I haven't got a clue!

I do appreciate good tyres, but I have to set a limit of about £20-22/tyre. Excactly what is so good about tyres that cost 35 quid? Is it the tread design or that they're made of a softer rubber compund? :?
  • im running panaracer FR fire 2.4 just want to know what you think to them
  • Question for the tyre freaks.

I've just got a Demo 7, and there's no way on earth i'm carrying round those 1300gram Chunder Pro 2.3's things it comes with.

I run a Blur LT as my XC rig and run either Fire 1.9's or Tioga Factory Mud 1.85's in the wet. I can't get by with big tread.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent wet weather DH tyre, grippy and light, and i'm not likely to run them under 40psi to be honest.
  • BlackSpurBlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    sq225917 wrote:
    Question for the tyre freaks.

I've just got a Demo 7, and there's no way on earth i'm carrying round those 1300gram Chunder Pro 2.3's things it comes with.

I run a Blur LT as my XC rig and run either Fire 1.9's or Tioga Factory Mud 1.85's in the wet. I can't get by with big tread.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent wet weather DH tyre, grippy and light, and i'm not likely to run them under 40psi to be honest.

Have you looked at this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12598912
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Ive herd alot of people saying a hard compound tyre can be good in really muddy conditions as the knobbles digs in better to the harder soil below and finds grip. Any one got any views on this?
    Orange 222
  • kjlkjl Posts: 1
    Hi
    im going to åre in a week to do some downhill and suspect its going to rain. It did last year and the trail conditions were very mixed. Some parts were slippery roots with some mud. Other parts were semi-wet to dry hard packed dirt. What tyres should i run? The tyres im contemplating are the super tacky 42a highrollers or the swampthings, 2.5F and 2.35R. Any other suggestions? i prefer grip before low rolling resistance.
  • Yukon LadYukon Lad Posts: 423
    I currently run minions on my stab in super tacky, but only because they came with the bike, in any sort of mud they aren't any good at all, they just clag up and lose grip.

When i can get enough cash as i'm a bit skint then tyres are top of the list, dual-ply swampthings look like the way to go because i don't race i can't be bothered changing tyres all of the time

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Sir HCSir HC Posts: 20,148
    I'd stick with a set of high rollers, more than capable in the mud. But will also work in the dry, unlike the swampy's.
    Go for a 42a on the front and then for the rear a 42a (if you dont lock your brake that often) or a 60a if you lock the wheel.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • In my opinion,

soft/wet/muddy = hard compound, larger width, low/medium pressure, large well-spaced knobs.

hard/rocky/dry= soft compound, width N/A, medium to high pressure, small close-together knobs.

Also, don't go larger than 2.5", even that is quite excessive.

Have the same width front and rear, but with the cornering "issue" just get a different tyre with less grip, same width.

Pressure shouldn't go below 30 psi for anything other than DH.

MAXXIS IS THE WAY TO GO. NOTHING BEATS THEM!
  • Sir HCSir HC Posts: 20,148
    In my opinion,

soft/wet/muddy = hard compound, larger width, low/medium pressure, large well-spaced knobs.

hard/rocky/dry= soft compound, width N/A, medium to high pressure, small close-together knobs.

Have the same width front and rear, but with the cornering "issue" just get a different tyre with less grip, same width.

Softer compounds will mold to the ground better so will give more grip. Wider tyres wont work, as you want something a bitt narrower to cut through the mud, rather than a wide tyre which will float on top and provide less grip.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • In my opinion,

MAXXIS IS THE WAY TO GO. NOTHING BEATS THEM!

wheres best place to get maxxis?
    Speed is life12.gif
  • SiPatonSiPaton Posts: 99
    Tommy,

If your trackside at a race then there is only one Maxxis retailer.
    He sells them for £50 a pair for dual ply.

Cheers.

Si..
  • I've managed to avoid posting in any "what tyre?" threads so far, but now I've moved away from XC and more into DH I'm often finding myself a bit out of my depth with regards to parts.

Just managed to get my hands on a Schwalbe Muddy Mary (gooey gluey) and an Al Mighty (triple compound) for the commie (both 2.5). Just to clarify, the "correct" way to fit them would be Mary front, Al rear.

I know it's a bit late now I've got them, but does anyone have any experience with these tyres?
  • AlexAlex Posts: 2,224
    Grippy wide tyre at the front. Narrower fast rolling tyre to the rear.

But if you've got a grippy narrow tyre and a fast rolling wide tyre, put the grippier one on the front.
  • G3zzG3zz Posts: 38
    Hi guys, I've read through everything and must say it's all very helpful!
    I'm thinking of getting some swampthings and am wondering what size I should go for?
    I'm 6"1 and weigh about 11 stone. I dont really care if thinner tyres are less forgiving because Im a relative newbie to DH as surely I'd learn quicker?

Cheers guys
    G3zz :)
  • AlexAlex Posts: 2,224
    The thinner ones, they'll cut through the mud better.