A bonailie, Nicola

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    Go away now, please.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Did someone join the forum just to wail on the SNP..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    ddraver said:

No I've been here ages.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    to be fair, she lasted longer than any of may, johnson, truss and, so far, sunak, and didn't comprehensively trash the country and gloat after stripping it's citizens of their rights

not all bad
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • First.Aspect
    sungod said:

to be fair, she lasted longer than any of may, johnson, truss and, so far, sunak, and didn't comprehensively trash the country and gloat after stripping it's citizens of their rights

not all bad

Thanks to the Supreme Court for preventing that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    edited February 2023
    ddraver said:

Interesting. Joined in 2018 and has a grand total of 4 posts. All today, in this thread.
    The ultimate lurker?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    ddraver said:

It's a worthy cause, so what's the problem?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,716
    How many Scottish elections did she win?
  • pblakeney

I have found this thing called Google which will tell you such things.
    Your answer is 4. 2007, 2011, 2016 and 2021.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,716
    pblakeney said:

i couldnt get the AI to spell her name right
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

i couldnt get the AI to spell her name right
    Have a word with focuszing about that. AI clearly has a long way to go.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

I am genuinely interested in why you care.

Surely the SNP doing well is good for Tory election success?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

Eh? She was only leader for 8 years. From wiki:
    Nicola Sturgeon's term as first minister of Scotland began on 20 November 2014 when she was formally sworn into office at the Court of Session. It followed Alex Salmond's resignation following the defeat of the Yes campaign in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum.

So she won 2 elections as leader (2016 & 2021).
  • First.Aspect
    There are elections in Scotland as well, for this thing called the Scottish Parliament. You may have heard about it?
  • First.Aspect
    I'm finding it interesting that now she's resigned, the press generally seems able to actually voice what the SNP have actually done. Aside from cardboard baby boxes, not a lot.

And for once they aren't getting shouted down by team indignant and insulted, using the word Westminster a lot.

About bloody time.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023

There are elections in Scotland as well, for this thing called the Scottish Parliament. You may have heard about it?

Turns out my AI is as bad as Rick's 😉. 3 is the correct answer.
    How many elections are there of varying levels? #confusing
    PS - Labour is looking particularly poor there.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Who knows? Do we think Starmer would not have a change of heart and try for a coalition with the SNP after the next GE?

I am not a big fan of a party who seems to have disliking the English at the heart of their beliefs.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    pblakeney said:

2014, wasn't a Scottish general election (or whatever they call it). It was rubber stamping her taking over as First Minster from Salmond, so those votes are by the elected house, a rubber stamping exercise.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

2014, wasn't a Scottish general election (or whatever they call it). It was rubber stamping her taking over as First Minster from Salmond, so those votes are by the elected house, a rubber stamping exercise.
    Fair enough, they don't make it easy do they? Either way she has been in charge for over 8 consecutive years. During which we've had 5 tory leaders.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,567
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Who knows? Do we think Starmer would not have a change of heart and try for a coalition with the SNP after the next GE?

I am not a big fan of a party who seems to have disliking the English at the heart of their beliefs.
    Why? He’ll almost certainly have a huge parliamentary majority without them.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,919
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Stevo's more worried that the Nats will be the biggest opposition party after the next Westminster election.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

We'll see. Not sure you have a better crystal ball than me. Beware the shy tories...
  • Stevo_666
    Anyway, Sturgeon went into politics to deliver Scottish independence. Must be very galling for her to have failed completely. Hey ho.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Stevo_666 said:

Anyway, Sturgeon went into politics to deliver Scottish independence. Must be very galling for her to have failed completely. Hey ho.

At least they can take comfort in the fact that, as of the UK, they benefit from the roaring success of our recent independence.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    Stevo_666 said:

Indeed. Independence is a classic case of starting with what you don't like (the English) deciding what to do against what you don't like (independence from England) and then trying to justify why its a good idea (um...)

The main reason they haven't shifted the debate in the last decade despite an open goal, is because they don't really have anything they stand for, other than high taxation and high spending on trinkets to get people to vote for independence.

They truly are the yes party, because yes is the easy answer.
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

Indeed. Independence is a classic case of starting with what you don't like (the English) deciding what to do against what you don't like (independence from England) and then trying to justify why its a good idea (um...)

The main reason they haven't shifted the debate in the last decade despite an open goal, is because they don't really have anything they stand for, other than high taxation and high spending on trinkets to get people to vote for independence.

Sorry, is that the SNP you're talking about, or the Tories?

Oh, silly me, the Tories got Brexit 'done'.
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

The irony hasn't escaped those living in Scotland with triple digit IQs.

i.e. roughly 50%
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

i.e. roughly 50%
    I'd say 52%. Or 48%. Advisedly.
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

i.e. roughly 50%
    I'd say 52%. Or 48%. Advisedly.
    55%?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355

pblakeney said:

There have been rumours since she started travelling abroad on the public purse on what can only be described as personal marketing trips.

They are getting into problems with a number of silly policies.

I sincerely hope this is a prelude to some more balanced politics up here.

Unfortunately for you I think the SNP leadership will be much like the tory leadership.
    Losing one head to be replaced by a worse one. You may be happy one day, eventually.
    I think there is a natural gap for Scottish Labour to move into, if SNP support weakens. The way the parliament here works is fairly proportional, so would lead to coalition governance. At the moment it is with the greens because they only needed two seats, and the greens hold too much sway and have less common sense than even the SNP.
    Lead by Patrick Harvey whom i've had the 'pleasure' of meeting directly. on a couple of occasions.
    He was one of the Greens that took up the gay rights baton and his following clique put this at the top of the agenda of the then Green party.
    In the process, lost many members.

I have nothing against the pursuit of equality/gay rights issues but they lost their heads. I never did understand why this was top of their agenda for a long while.
    In what way is equality and gay rights a 'Green' issue (beyond a member/vote inducing policy)? It shouldn't dominate 3 years of party conferences but it did.

Oh and he doesn't have a sense of humour and he doesn't get satire. Miserable fcuker.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!