1235»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,353
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Is this the thread where everyone is in agreement essentially but there are a few protagonists who are desperately clinging on to the hope of a actual argument?

No it isn't.
    Yes it is.
    Keep your bloody nose out of this will you.
    You looking at my nose?
    Are you accusing me of looking at your nose?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Is this the thread where everyone is in agreement essentially but there are a few protagonists who are desperately clinging on to the hope of a actual argument?

No it isn't.
    Yes it is.
    You looking at my nose?
    Yeah. And?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,930
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

No it isn't.
    Yes it is.
    You looking at my nose?
    Someone can see that someone else has a bloody nose, so must have been looking at it.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

No it isn't.
    Yes it is.
    You looking at my nose?
    Someone can see that someone else has a bloody nose, so must have been looking at it.
    ...and you come wading into an argument without reading any of the previous posts and go sticking your nose in.
    Typical.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

No it isn't.
    Yes it is.
    You looking at my nose?
    Yeah. And?
    I don't know where to start. Someone should sort that damn nose of yours.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited June 2022
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

No it isn't.
    Yes it is.
    You looking at my nose?
    Yeah. And?
    I don't know where to start. Someone should sort that damn nose of yours.
    People have tried.
    What's it to you anyway?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I can't believe anyone still uses flid. What a joey.

Must admit I was surprised by its afterlife, and the pupil had no idea where it came from, and wasn't going to need any more persuasion not to use it again. I vividly remember going out from primary school in the 70s and meeting various thalidomide victims and seeing how they had to adapt. Thank goodness that was at the tail end of the scandal.

Must admit, I knew nothing about 'joey'. I do now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon
    Kids will be kids.

Where I grew up we had for some reason several of what were loosely termed in the 70s and 80s "mental hospitals". Meaning people with developmental problems. Mental, right?.

In the 80s under Thatch these transitioned to care in the community because its cheaper, for anyone who was ambulatory and could safely use a pedestrian crossing. So it became commonplace to see poorly dressed lost souls wandering around town with nothing to do.

Needless to say, all the kids came up with our own very particular jargon.

"Ebba" was one. As in, noun descriptive of a resident of, or with any attributes associated with a resident of, St Ebba's Hospital. This could be readily applied to one's hair, clothing, glasses or intelligence.

Oh how I loved UK back then.
    In case you grew up in Epsom and still wonder why there were several mental hospitals, it was because London County Council ran out of room in it’s asylums so bought a thousand acres in the outskirts and built several more.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631

I can't believe anyone still uses flid. What a joey.

Must admit I was surprised by its afterlife, and the pupil had no idea where it came from, and wasn't going to need any more persuasion not to use it again. I vividly remember going out from primary school in the 70s and meeting various thalidomide victims and seeing how they had to adapt. Thank goodness that was at the tail end of the scandal.

Must admit, I knew nothing about 'joey'. I do now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon
    Kids will be kids.

Where I grew up we had for some reason several of what were loosely termed in the 70s and 80s "mental hospitals". Meaning people with developmental problems. Mental, right?.

In the 80s under Thatch these transitioned to care in the community because its cheaper, for anyone who was ambulatory and could safely use a pedestrian crossing. So it became commonplace to see poorly dressed lost souls wandering around town with nothing to do.

Needless to say, all the kids came up with our own very particular jargon.

"Ebba" was one. As in, noun descriptive of a resident of, or with any attributes associated with a resident of, St Ebba's Hospital. This could be readily applied to one's hair, clothing, glasses or intelligence.

Oh how I loved UK back then.
    In case you grew up in Epsom and still wonder why there were several mental hospitals, it was because London County Council ran out of room in it’s asylums so bought a thousand acres in the outskirts and built several more.
    All houses now.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    Can’t believe we are referencing Life of Brian on a trans gender thread, without the men playing women pretending to be men…..

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Triathlon has been the first to announce the creation of an "open" category from 2023
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    Will still be deemed unfair to trans athletes with suppressed testosterone.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Just earwigged a bunch of kids (sea scouts, I think) chatting away whilst eating an ice cream about who or what they identify as.

Lesson learned - no one is going to care about this is 5 years...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    ddraver said:

Just earwigged a bunch of kids (sea scouts, I think) chatting away whilst eating an ice cream about who or what they identify as.

Lesson learned - no one is going to care about this is 5 years...

I think they will in a sporting sense. There isn't a solution that can keep everyone happy.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I suspect the issue will be settled by banning trans women from female sport. I don't think it's true young people don't care - I think it's true young people are generally more used to and accepting of trans people but they are also more aware of the rights of women to safe spaces and female only sport.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]