Head stem spacers needed.

New to me trek emonda.
What spacers do I need to raise stem.
Cheers

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    If you haven't got any fork steerer left you can't. That looks max'd out tbh.

You'll also need to check cable/hose length.

Seems its the wrong bike/too small for you.

You could get one of those stems that you adjust huge amounts but you'll still have cable/hose issues.

Time to sell and get something that fits/works for you.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    edited May 2022
    I'd guess the stem is approx +/- 6 degrees, it looks like it might be pointing down (hard to tell with photo wrong way), flip it to raise bars a bit.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    You could flip the stem over in the first instance, as long as the cables allow it. But yeah looks like wrong size for you if that is still too low.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Cheers.
    Yes it is pointing down so will flip it.
    It's my 1st ever road bike having come from mtb then a trek fx 7.2.
    Only my 2nd ride on it so the position is all new to me.
  • It's a 58cm xl frame.
    I'm about 6ft 1
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    Especially when newish to road bike riding, a lot tend to lock their arms rigid on the hoods and in the drops, try and get a good 20+ degree bend in your elbows if your back will allow.

Set the saddle position for your legs, if the bars really are too far away you can reduce the stem to ~90mm without steering getting too twitchy.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo

• Previous bike.
  • MattFalle

It's a 58cm xl frame.
    I'm about 6ft 1

You should br fine on that - try and relax your position, hands on top of hoods, shoulders chilled.

Can you post a piccie of you sitting on it?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    If you're coming from MTB & flat bar hybrid, a road bike will initially feel very different. You're generally a bit more stretched out, but as above, you still need a bit of bend in your elbows when riding on the hoods. See how you get on with the stem flipped.
  • Thanks for advice,I need to adjust the seat too as its angled front up.
    I've checked some dimensions from the floor to various points on both bikes and the emonda is definitely smaller all round.
    I find myself trying to sit up on hill climbs on both bikes which is why I'm thinking higher handlebars.
    So hybrid bike is higher to top of stem from floor and also higher to where seat tube meats head tube.
    I need a few more rides to adjust find out if is or isn't too small.
  • Especially when newish to road bike riding, a lot tend to lock their arms rigid on the hoods and in the drops, try and get a good 20+ degree bend in your elbows if your back will allow.

Set the saddle position for your legs, if the bars really are too far away you can reduce the stem to ~90mm without steering getting too twitchy.

It's more that the seat feels so much higher than the handlebars.
    On the flat and downhill it feels fine but going up feels like I want to sit up a bit.
    Also my first 2 rides on new bike are slower average speed and top speed on strava than previous old aluminium hybrid.
    New bike feels faster/nimbler though
  • MattFalle
    Don't forget its completrly different geometries, frame sizing etc between the two.

I asked MF and he recommends sticking the hybrid in a shed and just using the Trek, tweaking as you go along to get solely used to it.

Re seat - level or just a tiny tad of nose down is recommended: none of the 25 degree pointing down malarkey
  • Yes matt,I'm not riding the hybrid as I've nicked the pedals for the trek.
    Yes the nose of seat is definitely up and was making me feel uncomfortable.
    And my hybrid is slightly pointing down which I remember doing myself.
    I'm 47 and never ridden a roadside so all new to me.
    I live in crystal Palace so wanted to join the road gang buts it's so hilly round here you're either going up or down.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

Especially when newish to road bike riding, a lot tend to lock their arms rigid on the hoods and in the drops, try and get a good 20+ degree bend in your elbows if your back will allow.

It's more that the seat feels so much higher than the handlebars.
    On the flat and downhill it feels fine but going up feels like I want to sit up a bit.
    Also my first 2 rides on new bike are slower average speed and top speed on strava than previous old aluminium hybrid.
    New bike feels faster/nimbler though
    A lot of people move their hands to the top of the bars when climbing. EG -

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

It's my 1st ever road bike having come from mtb then a trek fx 7.2.
    Only my 2nd ride on it so the position is all new to me.

In which case, leave it as it is and reconsider after you've ridden it some more. I would advise against trying replicate your MTB position on the road - the position may be different, but it doesn't mean it's incorrect.

• As said upthread, ride it and get used to the bike/position before doing any more to it. Your body will tell you if it is in the right position.

As MF mentioned, if you need that amount of spacers, it is indicative of a frame being too small. Personally, I think 2cm max under the stem, otherwise it tends to point towards the wrong size frame.

It may be that as you get used to the bike though, that you actually lower the front end, most cyclists do.
  • Well as suggested I left as is and just rode it some more.
    I did put saddle flat,about 10mm down and also 10mm slid back and it feels so much better.
    Cheers