sunday aboard the catbus

'ning

another soggy day looms

cafe, mince pie, hibernate
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Comments

  • After a dreary start yesterday, has turned into a fairly fine weekend of long lunches, predicated on the flimsy excuse of it’s-my-birthday-today.

    Pizzas and wine at local fancy vineyard yesterday, noting the proprietor’s GT3 in the garage. Posh wine pays well it seems. Today fish and chips at a nice little cafe on a marina down the river in glorious sunshine.

    Onwards to filling in application forms for Discounts For The Decrepit card.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,326

    After a dreary start yesterday, has turned into a fairly fine weekend of long lunches, predicated on the flimsy excuse of it’s-my-birthday-today.

    Pizzas and wine at local fancy vineyard yesterday, noting the proprietor’s GT3 in the garage. Posh wine pays well it seems. Today fish and chips at a nice little cafe on a marina down the river in glorious sunshine.

    Onwards to filling in application forms for Discounts For The Decrepit card.

    happy birthday ws!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,297

    After a dreary start yesterday, has turned into a fairly fine weekend of long lunches, predicated on the flimsy excuse of it’s-my-birthday-today.

    Pizzas and wine at local fancy vineyard yesterday, noting the proprietor’s GT3 in the garage. Posh wine pays well it seems. Today fish and chips at a nice little cafe on a marina down the river in glorious sunshine.

    Onwards to filling in application forms for Discounts For The Decrepit card.

    Happy birthday!!! 🥳🥳🥳🎂🎂🎂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Happy birthday WS - hope you have a great day 🎂🎂💯
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,536
    Enjoy it WS. What is this 'glorious sunshine' of which you speak?

    Blustery and grey; need to sort it out to get the tailwind back.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    Felicitations to the man from Taz.

    Lovely clear sky and sunshine today. A bit brrr but beautiful.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Bore da pawb.

    Suspect today will be shopping shortly followed by trying to finish setting the bike up, bit of work, then booster jab for me and first jab for teen GTi now that he’s waited long enough post covid. Possibly dodgy evening depending on side effects.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 57,800
    Morning All.

    Happy birthday WS B)

    Good night out down the pub with the neighbours and the other who live on our little close - had a bit of a lie in as a result. 'Orrible outside so not much doing apart from maybe putting together the new bed for the spare room.

    Leg seems to be nicely on the mend now which is good, but need to be patient before getting back on the bike.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,536
    That went well. 4 degrees, with the north wind the 'feels like' showing 0C. Layered up, 4 of, facebuff, winter gloves, feel like a Michelin Man from days of yore.

    First ride on graveller since LBS serviced it while I was away last weekend. New chain, cassette, etc. Got as far in as 300m, first real press, chain pops. Xxxx it. Do I have a quicklink that fits this chain? No I don't. Double xxxx it. Well done LBS. Gonna have words tomorrow.

    Erse. Going to head to the gym instead, release some frustration. Grrrrrrrr.

    (60 is the new 40, WS)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    KMC = sh1t.
    Wipperman Connex = A1

    I have popped KMC quick links and no longer trust them. Mainly because the engagement is not affirmative and in the process of connecting them, the tapered edges get damaged.
    The engagement of the Connex connectors is much better and you do no need tools to remove which means:
    No pinching skin trying to remove it with long nose pliers and then dropping it on the floor or pinging across the kitchen/garage/workshop/verge*.
    Or placing it doubled up on a chain ring and tapping it with something heavy. This release method means that the rear mech spring is pulling on it and when you do disconnect, the chain goes off at 100mph wrapping itself around the chain stay or feeds itself through leaving scars.
    Connex - No doubts about it's engagement or removal.

    *Delete where applicable.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363466947722?epid=1739790580&hash=item54a0517c8a:g:Ak4AAOSwRY5g7ToO
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,297

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,795
    Happy birthday WS

    About to go for the third (short) ride of the day. I’m loving the gravel bike, it seems to behave in decent mud.

    Third ride is to a welsh pub but it’s just over the border and the landlord is English, so that’s ok

    Later is the Grand Prix
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,536
    edited December 2021
    Could have been worse. Had planned doing a 50km out and back gravel ride, at least the chain popped straightaway, else it could have been rather awkward 25km away along the Ridgeway in the middle of nothing.

    Need to dig out the paperwork and check what components LBS used. Didn't fit the chain properly (likely) or the brand is utter keerap (less likely). [edit, it is listed as Shimano HG95 chain]

    Have some 9sp links, but the graveller is a 2x10. Never thought about getting more quicklinks, to be rectified pronto. Thought could fit back down the scale, e.g. use an 11sp q-link on a 10-speed chain, but not a 9sp on a 10sp chain. But what do I know?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    orraloon said:

    Could have been worse. Had planned doing a 50km out and back gravel ride, at least the chain popped straightaway, else it could have been rather awkward 25km away along the Ridgeway in the middle of nothing.

    Need to dig out the paperwork and check what components LBS used. Didn't fit the chain properly (likely) or the brand is utter keerap (less likely). [edit, it is listed as Shimano HG95 chain]

    Have some 9sp links, but the graveller is a 2x10. Never thought about getting more quicklinks, to be rectified pronto. Thought could fit back down the scale, e.g. use an 11sp q-link on a 10-speed chain, but not a 9sp on a 10sp chain. But what do I know?

    Don't be silly, buy the right link for the right chain.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,536
    pinno said:

    orraloon said:

    Could have been worse. Had planned doing a 50km out and back gravel ride, at least the chain popped straightaway, else it could have been rather awkward 25km away along the Ridgeway in the middle of nothing.

    Need to dig out the paperwork and check what components LBS used. Didn't fit the chain properly (likely) or the brand is utter keerap (less likely). [edit, it is listed as Shimano HG95 chain]

    Have some 9sp links, but the graveller is a 2x10. Never thought about getting more quicklinks, to be rectified pronto. Thought could fit back down the scale, e.g. use an 11sp q-link on a 10-speed chain, but not a 9sp on a 10sp chain. But what do I know?

    Don't be silly, buy the right link for the right chain.
    Is the plan. But I was just thinking over what could I have done had I been stranded miles away, had I had the 9sp links with me and the chain driver tool thing to remove the broken link. Btw both latter were in a box in the garage so...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,795

    Nice out on the bike 😎
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,190
    Evening folks,
    Busy weekend but quite enjoyed it. Took the EPO to Gloucester to see her family for a pre-christmas get together yesterday, that was followed by drinks in a Surrey pub with a few mates from school. Went to Wombledon to see friends and daughter with the baby. Looks like they've finally found her a place of her own so next weekend will involve helping her and the baby move in.
    Happy birthday Spinner, 60 doesn't sound as old as it used to for some reason 😂
  • seanoconn said:

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Feels like it most days.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    seanoconn said:

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Nice aren't you?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,297
    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Nice aren't you?
    Simple maths Pinno, If you bothered to read, WS had the spine wear of a 60 year old, 30 years ago.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Nice aren't you?
    Simple maths Pinno, If you bothered to read, WS had the spine wear of a 60 year old, 30 years ago.
    It's a pity you don't cycle as quickly as the speed stuff goes over your head.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,297
    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Nice aren't you?
    Simple maths Pinno, If you bothered to read, WS had the spine wear of a 60 year old, 30 years ago.
    It's a pity you don't cycle as quickly as the speed stuff goes over your head.
    Yeah nice try you g!t. Haven’t you got a Christmas quiz you should be preparing?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    Thank you, all.

    30 years ago when I first shuffled into the office of a neurosurgeon, he remarked that he'd thought his receptionist had got the patient details form and associated x-ray and CT film images mixed up. Told me the pictures looked like I had the spine wear and damage typical of a 60 year old.

    Well, the calendar has finally caught up.

    60

    Phark.

    With the spine wear of a 90 year old?
    Nice aren't you?
    Simple maths Pinno, If you bothered to read, WS had the spine wear of a 60 year old, 30 years ago.
    It's a pity you don't cycle as quickly as the speed stuff goes over your head.
    Yeah nice try you g!t. Haven’t you got a Christmas quiz you should be preparing?
    Why have you got to lurk around? Why can't you post on the daily blah blah blah like a normal person?

    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    Oh yes, I forgot. You haven't got MF to hold your hand.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    Monday hey Seano?
    Cheer up.

    Last I heard, MF is handing out Hello Kitty plasters in San Salvador.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,297
    pinno said:

    Oh yes, I forgot. You haven't got MF to hold your hand.

    Hey, don’t be like that. You know you complete me and are one of the few worthy of my attention.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    Oh yes, I forgot. You haven't got MF to hold your hand.

    Hey, don’t be like that. You know you complete me and are one of the few worthy of my attention.
    Wassup anyway? In the office early and bored?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,297
    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    Oh yes, I forgot. You haven't got MF to hold your hand.

    Hey, don’t be like that. You know you complete me and are one of the few worthy of my attention.
    Wassup anyway? In the office early and bored?
    pinno said:

    seanoconn said:

    pinno said:

    Oh yes, I forgot. You haven't got MF to hold your hand.

    Hey, don’t be like that. You know you complete me and are one of the few worthy of my attention.
    Wassup anyway? In the office early and bored?
    It’s not easy being an enigmatic private investigator whose cases are pushing me into the realm of supernatural.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,106
    edited December 2021
    ...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!