Winter bidon

2»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would comment further but I haven’t got the bidon for an argument with you lot.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,563
    Don't bidon it up.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

womack said:

Tomorrow, I will ride by bicyclette, while wearing my casque and maybe some thermal gants, depending on the temperature. I won't be taking any bidons though...

Presumably you have never bought a souvenir either.
    Let's not get into a debate on the wider origins of the English language (although it actually appears to be too late for that).

Using 'bidon' when there is a perfectly acceptable and already widely-used 'English' alternative just seems to be an unnecessary affectation, IMO. Anyway, carry on...

So when someone challenges you for being the bully that you are you want to forget it.

Sounds about right.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    womack said:

womack said:

Tomorrow, I will ride by bicyclette, while wearing my casque and maybe some thermal gants, depending on the temperature. I won't be taking any bidons though...

Presumably you have never bought a souvenir either.
    Let's not get into a debate on the wider origins of the English language (although it actually appears to be too late for that).

Using 'bidon' when there is a perfectly acceptable and already widely-used 'English' alternative just seems to be an unnecessary affectation, IMO. Anyway, carry on...

So when someone challenges you for being the bully that you are you want to forget it.

Sounds about right.
    I puzzled how you get to being bullied about anything on this thread.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    womack said:

Sounds about right.

Forget what? Help me out here - who is it you think I am bullying? And how exactly am I supposed to be bullying them?

I just think people should call a bottle a bottle - and not a 'bidon' - it's only my opinion, but it's something which you earlier said you agreed with.

So either I'm missing something, or you are directing your sanctimony in the wrong direction....

• js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    The Elite Iceberg can be used with either hot water (up to 75°C) in winter or chilled water in summer.

On a three and a half hour ride yesterday with temperatures hovering around 6 or 7°C, my drink went from warmish to chilled at the end. It would probably have stayed warmer for longer if I had started with a hot drink. Overall though, it's a good idea as you won't drink enough water if your bottle is freezing cold on a winter ride.

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    js14 said:

The Elite Iceberg can be used with either hot water (up to 75°C) in winter or chilled water in summer.

On a three and a half hour ride yesterday with temperatures hovering around 6 or 7°C, my drink went from warmish to chilled at the end. It would probably have stayed warmer for longer if I had started with a hot drink. Overall though, it's a good idea as you won't drink enough water if your bottle is freezing cold on a winter ride.

Elite do a few of these thermal bottles.

I've been thinking about trying one to see what it's like.
  • js14 said:

Thanks, sounds like what I'm after. I realise it doesn't bother some people, but ice cold drinks on a ride set off sensitive teeth.

As for bidon/bottle. I don't take offence at someone I don't know getting upset by my use of a commonly accepted word in cycling circles. I don't really have any strong feelings either way. I don't think I would have wasted my time posting on a forum just to make that point though if I did.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Munsford0 said:

If the ride is up to 90 minutes then I just fill the bottle with hot water / squash. Longer than that it's a saddlebag and proper thermos flask for me.

Not sure where you ride but here in Scotland a hot fill is down to ambient temperature much more quickly than that.
  • womack said:

I suppose someone somewhere is as we speak inventing a thermos flask cage !!

Been done long ago: https://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/ (as you can tell from the website design).

As for bidons/bottles, it's too late to object now; bidon has already passed into common English usage.
    It's done so because there isn't any other English word that has the same meaning. "Bidon" means a bottle designed to fit in the bottle cage on your bike, whilst "bottle" has a far more general meaning, and you'd often have to add extra description to make it clear what sort of bottle you meant.

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

It's done so because there isn't any other English word that has the same meaning. "Bidon" means a bottle designed to fit in the bottle cage on your bike, whilst "bottle" has a far more general meaning, and you'd often have to add extra description to make it clear what sort of bottle you meant.

It doesn't mean anything of the sort. 'Bidon' is the French word for 'bottle', 'can', 'water container', etc and has roughly the same range of meanings as the English word 'bottle'. It has no specific meaning in relation to cycling.

• webboo said:

I wonder how many people go in to a bike shop and say “What sort of bidons have you got”.
    Or at home do you get “ Will you stop leaving your bidons on the draining board”

I had to Google it.
  • webboo said:

Imposter does have a point unless jimmycrates is French. Next thing folk will be asking for recommendations for thermal musettes, instead of wooly bonk bags.

I had to Google those as well.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited December 2021
    I’ve got a Costa Coffee flask which has the same o/d as a water bottle. Fits perfectly.