Injury rehab

mr.b-campag
mr.b-campag Posts: 387
edited November 2021 in Training, fitness and health
Had an off on a greasy descent a few weeks back. The usual scrapes but it didn't seem too bad. However, my left arm (I came off on that side) still hurts a bit and I struggle to put it out straight e.g. as if indicating left on the bike. I think it might have got slightly worse over time since the injury, though hard to say. I'll try and book in with the GP but I know that getting physio on the NHS is hard and I don't currently have a job (and the one I'm starting doesn't have health insurance). Any thoughts on what required? Is it just rest, or are there specific exercises that might help?

TIA

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If you landed on your left arm/ shoulder and as you mention it’s ard to lift it up. There’s a possibility you have damaged the tendons in your shoulder. So see your GP milk it abit and with luck you might get referred for a scan.
  • If you aren't seeing improvements with the left arm, as Webboo says, I would see your gp and ask for a scan to try and get a proper diagnosis.

IME you have to be a little insistent with your gp for a scan or physio treatment, the standard response I always get is rest it and take ibuprofen, which has led to at least one major nerve/muscle injury being completely missed by the doctor. The physio I saw correctly diagnosed it in 10mins. He wasn't being critical, but his experience (he had been an NHS physio for 15 years before private practice) was that many gp's just don't have extensive knowledge of musculoskeletal injuries.
  • webboo
    I forgot to say in most areas you can refer your self to the NHS physio service. Also another way of getting in to the system is your local minor injuries clinic.
  • Thanks everyone. I've got a GP appointment on Monday. Besides telling them this is way beyond take a couple of ibuprofen, any other thoughts/advice?
  • webboo
    Over egg it. Say you are struggling to work and might have to go sick, make it sound worse than it is. Don’t under any circumstances say “ well it hurts a bit but it’s not too bad”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Ham it up with the GP. Play the game.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,924
    Make sure you say you've been trying to rest it whilst talking iburoprofen and it hasn't improved, but actually got worse.
  • Ok thanks everyone. It is actually pretty damed painful at times, and it has got worse, so I won't feel too bad about hamming it up a bit.
  • Got given an exercise program for 6 weeks. GP had me do quite a few movements. I asked if I could have a torn ligament and they said not given what I was able to do. Apparently the pain is in my rotator cuff. They did ask me to go and get it x-rayed but I've had a few recently and flown as well so said I'd complete the exercises and see how it goes. They seemed pretty knowledgable - did I luck out and find someone with expertise in the area, or was I fobbed off? :smile:
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Got given an exercise program for 6 weeks. GP had me do quite a few movements. I asked if I could have a torn ligament and they said not given what I was able to do. Apparently the pain is in my rotator cuff. They did ask me to go and get it x-rayed but I've had a few recently and flown as well so said I'd complete the exercises and see how it goes. They seemed pretty knowledgable - did I luck out and find someone with expertise in the area, or was I fobbed off? :smile:

If they said get it x-rayed, I'd get it x-rayed.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 387
    edited November 2021
    I've had a couple of x-rays from something broken in the last 3 months (not related to falling off my bike). When I told them that they said to leave it until after the exercises.
  • webboo
    edited November 2021
    If you have damaged the tendons in your rotator cuff, I wouldn’t think they would show on an X-ray. My damaged shoulder tendons were diagnosed by a physio and confirmed by ultra sound. However this only picked the damage on one, it missed the damage on the other 2.
    Also whilst I had pain at times I could still manage to rock climb despite the damage.
  • Thanks webboo. If they are damaged what would the treatment be beyond a series of exercises? Would it just be a more specific set of exercises?
  • webboo
    I had surgery although I believe there is a conservative treatment option with exercise.
    I’m not sure how this works because as far as understand shoulder tendons don’t repair themselves.
    The surgeons view on it was if I was going to do nothing more strenuous than play bingo for the rest of my life, then I didn’t need to do anything.
    However……..