Anyone have feedback on Balfe's bikes?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,576
edited October 2021 in Road buying advice
Online reviews seem in the main very positive.

Looking to buy through the C2W scheme, likely for home delivery - current comms are fast, polite and thorough, the woman replying clearly knows her subject which is encouraging.
She's currently speaking to their buyers to get prices for a couple of extras I have asked for.

25% refundable deposit to secure the bike until the voucher appears.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    They seem to have grown really quickly, taking over 2 of my nearest bike shops (Finch's in Reigate and Pearson Sutton) in the last couple of years, but don't really have any dealings with them. FInch's used to be a great shop, not sure what it's like now, but it looks busy!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    elbowloh said:

They seem to have grown really quickly, taking over 2 of my nearest bike shops (Finch's in Reigate and Pearson Sutton) in the last couple of years, but don't really have any dealings with them. FInch's used to be a great shop, not sure what it's like now, but it looks busy!

Thanks for that, I did see a post on here somewhere (Might have been the GB Cycles closing down thread) mentioning them, as had never heard of them prior to that.
    The poster was on the opinion they had high aspirations and were looking to become the next Evans.

I think it's fair to say (Well in my opinion) that since ashley took ownership, Evans are not going to be a consideration for any serious purchase, so there is a void to fill.

She has come back with a quote already, like literally within minutes, and it falls under the threshold by £1.02!

I'll ponder for a day or two, and if anyone fancies replying to my other 'Gravel bike' thread on this same forum that might well help me :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited October 2021
    I bought a trek Marin from them for my other half about a year ago, and everything was good. I sensed that they would prefer to deal with real customers in person, and home delivery wasn't their preferred business model, but the bike arrived well packaged and I had a good experience.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    daniel_b said:

elbowloh said:

Thanks for that, I did see a post on here somewhere (Might have been the GB Cycles closing down thread) mentioning them, as had never heard of them prior to that.
    The poster was on the opinion they had high aspirations and were looking to become the next Evans.

I think it's fair to say (Well in my opinion) that since ashley took ownership, Evans are not going to be a consideration for any serious purchase, so there is a void to fill.

She has come back with a quote already, like literally within minutes, and it falls under the threshold by £1.02!

I'll ponder for a day or two, and if anyone fancies replying to my other 'Gravel bike' thread on this same forum that might well help me :-)
    why would Ashley's (or anybody in fact) ownership make any difference?

if Evans have the bike you want, in the colour, size, availabilty, they will give the warranty, etc etc and do your deal, just buy it from them.

or am I missing something?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    They've opened a shop a few doors down from the Evans in Kingston, I've been in a couple of times and they seem very helpful. A colleague bought a bike from them on cycle to work scheme and was happy.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    @Matthewfalle I like to spend my money with people who in my opinion are either decent human beings, or there's no evidence to the contrary.
    Not saying everyone should or must do that, but it's what I choose to do.

As an aside, have you checked out the breadth of choice they now stock?
    They are a pale shadow of what they used to be, and if course he's shoehorned in all the crappy sports direct makes in there as well.

The same thought process means I'll never visit a wetherspoons again.

No great loss for me in avoiding either of those two shops.

They've opened a shop a few doors down from the Evans in Kingston, I've been in a couple of times and they seem very helpful. A colleague bought a bike from them on cycle to work scheme and was happy.

Thankyou, that all bodes pretty well.
    This specific bike isn't due til May, but no issue for me.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    You his family background, ya?

But cool, respect your opinion totally - good to see someone with morals.
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2021
    MattFalle said:

You his family background, ya?

But cool, respect your opinion totally - good to see someone with morals.

I know nothing about his family background (if that's what you were askung?) but know he treats staff much in the same way as the red faced tim martin does, fills his stores full of cheap, ummm, stuff, lots of it with brand names that were once revered, but he just buys up the rights once they go bust.
    Muddy Fox, Slazenger and Karimor to name but 3.

When I first found Karimor on there I hadn't clocked what the business model was, and I wonder how many people buy thinking it is the same products and quality they remember from the past.
    Perfectly legal, but to me it seems a bit underhand.

Additionally he has a legal, but irritating in store policy of not issuing refunds, (say you buy a few sizes of something to try on at home) only credit notes.
    So once he has your money, he's not letting it go.

I didn't used to have morals such as these, it has come on as I've gotten older :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    No - Balfe's background.

We all know about Ashley.
  • daniel_b
    MattFalle said:

No - Balfe's background.

We all know about Ashley.

Ah, misunderstood - no not at all, is there a story to be told?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18