Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

One lucky dude

2»

• Ncovidius said:

That’s Leicester for you. I really have no love for the place at all ( sorry ).

Does this kind of thing only happen in Leicester then? Stupid comment.
    I think it's unlikely it only happens in Leicester as the crash happened in Ashby.
    That's the Midlands for you.
    Well East is East after all.

• oxoman said:

Thankfully Gashby is nearly 20 miles from that pile of 💩💩 called Leic. But sadly accidents like this seem to happen in most towns and cities. What made this worse was it was filmed and spread very quickly as it was spectacular. Not sure how the driver will get out of paying up. As an ex Ashby lad it never used to be to bad, sadly full of people who think their the dogs danglies now.

True, but it’s close enough to count.

• pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

...I don't think any car has ever not crossed the line while passing me...

You are doing well. I estimate 20% of cars passing me do so without crossing the white line, i.e. close passes. Usually "okay" but within 1.5m, but some bad.
    A "debate" following one bad example finished with her saying "I never cross the white line when overtaking cyclists.". They walk (drive) along us. 🤬
    Well, it's a narrow bit of road so there isn't enough room between me and any oncoming traffic for them to get through, ie, it's less than a car width....
    Likewise, which was my point.
    At pinch points I always ride in primary. Makes them think about it at least.
    You have to be immune to insults and gestures though. 😉
    Exactly. So do I, though in the case of that pinch point, there would be less than a car's width between me and any vehicle coming the other way even if I was six inches from the kerb. Though my original point was that when there isn't a car actually parallel with me, blocking the way, they always cross the line, even though that's illegal, and they can't see far enough ahead to be sure it's safe.

It still astonishes me how many people are prepared to take a chance like that just to save a few seconds. I think the mindset is that they've done it so often, and got away with it, they assume they always will. Until one day, they don't…

• pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 21,926
    edited September 2021

It still astonishes me how many people are prepared to take a chance like that just to save a few seconds. I think the mindset is that they've done it so often, and got away with it, they assume they always will. Until one day, they don't…

Thing is, that they will.
    They will simply veer left to avoid the oncoming car. Not ideal for the cyclist though...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Thing is, that they will.
    They will simply veer left to avoid the oncoming car. Not ideal for the cyclist though...
    That's true, in the sense that wearing their half ton, four wheeled body armour they will most likely emerge without a scratch. Maybe seriously injuring or killing someone isn't exactly getting away with it, but that isn't much consolation to the cyclist involved, ie you or me, potentially.
  • Dorset_BoyDorset_Boy Posts: 5,713
    If you are travelling at less than 10 mph on a bike it is NOT illegal for the car to cross the solid white line (S129 of the Highway Code).

That said, not sure many drivers could guage your speed.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,182
    Surely your not allowed to cross the line and go the wrong side of a roundabout. Especially on a double roundabout.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
    edited September 2021
    oxoman said:

Surely your not allowed to cross the line and go the wrong side of a roundabout. Especially on a double roundabout.

Of course not, but a number of posters had complained about being overtaken by cars crossing a solid white line.
    Driver in the original incident should lose their licence for a long time and their liberty for a period too.
    All drivers banned for more than 6 months should have to retake their driving test before getting their licence back.
  • mully79mully79 Posts: 835
    if they didnt want you to go over the middle of roundabouts they would put an object in the middle.

Lazy people arent going to steer around pretend corners following paint if no other road users are present.
    Yeah, and what is the point in stopping for red lights, or junctions, or.......
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mully79mully79 Posts: 835
    im not disagreeing. If they spent the extra money to make a roundabout a roundabout that accident wouldnt happen.
    Mini roundabouts are cheap lazy road design.
    That is a better worded point. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • If you are travelling at less than 10 mph on a bike it is NOT illegal for the car to cross the solid white line (S129 of the Highway Code).

10mph? Thanks. I didn't know that. It still shows a lack of patience, and dangerous if you can't see enough of the road ahead, though.

• webboowebboo Posts: 5,008

If you are travelling at less than 10 mph on a bike it is NOT illegal for the car to cross the solid white line (S129 of the Highway Code).

In my post I did mention I was riding 20 mph plus. If a driver can’t gauge those sort of speeds there’s something seriously wrong, also as they come up behind you on a blind bend. They would be slowing down :D so then they could judge your speed from their speedo.
  • oblongomaculatusoblongomaculatus Posts: 615
    edited September 2021
    webboo said:

In my post I did mention I was riding 20 mph plus. If a driver can’t gauge those sort of speeds there’s something seriously wrong, also as they come up behind you on a blind bend. They would be slowing down :D so then they could judge your speed from their speedo.
    Classic example up that hill yesterday, on the way to work (Don't think I was doing 20, but more than ten, for sure). Car pulls across, passes, another one appears round the bend/over the brow coming the other way, overtaking car cuts sharply in to avoid collision. Not an issue for me this time as it was already past, but it must have given the oncoming driver a nasty fright.

By the way, has anyone noticed the high incidence amongst motorists who do this sort of thing of personalised number plates? The ones where they've had to manipulate the numbers and letters to say what they want seem to be the worst.

webboo said:

Classic example up that hill yesterday, on the way to work (Don't think I was doing 20, but more than ten, for sure). Car pulls across, passes, another one appears round the bend/over the brow coming the other way, overtaking car cuts sharply in to avoid collision. Not an issue for me this time as it was already past, but it must have given the oncoming driver a nasty fright.

By the way, has anyone noticed the high incidence amongst motorists who do this sort of thing of personalised number plates? The ones where they've had to manipulate the numbers and letters to say what they want seem to be the worst.
    Audis, personalised plates, and large 'trucks' that the Aussies would call a ute. And the odd Range Rover.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,182
    You missed BMW,s as well.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.