Who voted for Margaret Thatcher?

Comments

• I think 87 would have been the first election I could vote in - can't actually remember voting but I'm pretty sure I would have as I was interested in politics and it would have been Labour.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Whoever it is doing the flagging, try saving your flags for what flags are meant for - trolling, abuse, etc. Putting on my teacher's voice "So you think that's funny, do you?"

Probably the latest head of the hydra after my post in the other thread (or Orraloon / FA making their point over my past mistakes in which case it's fair comment!).
    Eh not me mistah.

Suspect it was Mr SoC based on the first two likes and first two flags.
    Who?

See who liked the post of mine you quoted...
    I've never been able to work out how to view who has liked posts on my phone.
    People have liked your posts?
    I like quite a few of Pross' posts - he's gradually become the forum voice of reason.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Whoever it is doing the flagging, try saving your flags for what flags are meant for - trolling, abuse, etc. Putting on my teacher's voice "So you think that's funny, do you?"

Probably the latest head of the hydra after my post in the other thread (or Orraloon / FA making their point over my past mistakes in which case it's fair comment!).
    Eh not me mistah.

Who?

I like quite a few of Pross' posts - he's gradually become the forum voice of reason.
    Don’t give him a big head.

I’ve generally found you to be the forum voice of reason.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687

Too young, but I live in an ex coal mining area. The cold shock of mass unemployment in one place will take another couple of generations to work through. At least. Hey, half a century is not too bad is it?

I also had a sibling in long term care in the NHS throughout her tenure. I will never, ever vote Tory in my life as a result. Inhumane. Really.

I also went through state school during her tenure. I am largely self-taught.

There are still quite a few smarmy accolytes in the party now, who came up writing press releases or lobbying. They probably jack off in the gents to a commemorative photo of her. Basically the same sh!t different decade.

Is that clear enough?

Can i put you down as a maybe?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

orraloon said:

Pross said:

Eh not me mistah.

Who?

Don’t give him a big head.

I’ve generally found you to be the forum voice of reason.
    No, you are.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,639
    Based on the premise that not voting for Thatcher makes you a leftie, it seems that lefties are the majority and the most vocal.
  • Surely most people on here are in the middle around where Blair/ Cameron are on the political spectrum
  • Cameron is one of the fawning acolytes with a picture of her in his wallet. He is only moderate in the sense that he doesn't stand for anything.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,530
    I was too young to vote in '79 and '83, but I think some of you can guess who I voted for in '87 :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,731
    Did you frot one out before or after you went to the booth?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2021

Did you frot one out before or after you went to the booth?

Ooh you're such a b1tch Rick :)

Anyhow, kudos again to Mrs T for continuing to torment lefties from beyond the grave.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Cameron is one of the fawning acolytes with a picture of her in his wallet. He is only moderate in the sense that he doesn't stand for anything.

How unfortunate for him that news leaked that he carries a picture of Maggie in his wallet
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:
    After the last few elections it's been this one

https://youtu.be/04854XqcfCY

;)
  • I've voted but I'm wondering if there is a purpose or reason behind this poll.
  • jimmyjams said:

I've voted but I'm wondering if there is a purpose or reason behind this poll.

It is to try to shame people who voted for Thatch. And also flush out who is really, really old.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    I'm really, really old. And shameless. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dear Margaret’s leadership and victory (the first one at least in ‘79) in the general elections was virtually guaranteed by the 1974 general elections (both of them)
    The countries electret was split fairly evenly between Conservative and labour, with the Liberals coming a close third (as I remember).

In the second election it was a choice between Harold Wilson/Arthur Scargill (Labour) and Ted Heath (Conservative) – unfortunately the country choose the former, which meant the miners got their pay rise for supporting the Labour Party (35%) on top of that I believe they got another 35% rise the following year probably because the first rise had been eroded by inflation. To add insult to injury, the money for these pay rises came from the tax-payer, as the mines were losing money at this time.

Ordinary people (those not in the miners or transport unions) couldn’t keep up with this inflation. I was at school at the time (too young to vote), but I remember the HELL this created. I remember an inflation figure of 29% and my parents arguing about what we could and could not afford, no doubt this was repeated across the country. I never want to go there again!

Just as a footnote, if Margaret hadn’t taken over the leadership of the Conservative party from Ted Heath, Ted would have gone on to win the 1979 election IMHO
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I'm liking the swing on this thread.
  • Clearly some posters here enjoyed and appreciated the unions running (ruining) the country, rubbish not being collected for weeks, bodies not being buried, regular and frequent power cuts, the joke that was the British economy, the closed shop and restrictive practices, coal being cheaper to import from Australia than to get out the ground here, going cap in hand to the IMF for a bail out etc etc.

That's the pro brexit lobby right?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,921

Clearly some posters here enjoyed and appreciated the unions running (ruining) the country, rubbish not being collected for weeks, bodies not being buried, regular and frequent power cuts, the joke that was the British economy, the closed shop and restrictive practices, coal being cheaper to import from Australia than to get out the ground here, going cap in hand to the IMF for a bail out etc etc.

Meh given your understanding of why brexiters voted for brexit, I'm surprised you're this against those that don't like Thatcher...

• Honk!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    Jezyboy said:

Clearly some posters here enjoyed and appreciated the unions running (ruining) the country, rubbish not being collected for weeks, bodies not being buried, regular and frequent power cuts, the joke that was the British economy, the closed shop and restrictive practices, coal being cheaper to import from Australia than to get out the ground here, going cap in hand to the IMF for a bail out etc etc.

Meh given your understanding of why brexiters voted for brexit, I'm surprised you're this against those that don't like Thatcher...

Am I wrong to assume you didn't live through the latter part of the 1970s? It was fucking awful! The UK really was 'the sick man of Europe' - it was in intensive care.

Creating a flexible labour force (by breaking the power of the unions) allowed the UK economy to grow and allowed many people to determine their own destinies.
    Obviously there was a lot of pain in part of the country due to a massive shock to those local economies, and some people never recovered, others however prospered greatly.

Of course you can argue that some measures went too far, but it is pretty staggering that anyone could thing we'd overall have been better off if Labour had won the 1979 election.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Not old enough to have voted in the relevant elections.

Family were miners though - grandad a foreman and a union man - so you can guess how I’ve voted in every election since being old enough.

Those who lament the effects the strike had on the country as a whole are completely missing the point.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,731

Jezyboy said:

Am I wrong to assume you didn't live through the latter part of the 1970s? It was censored awful! The UK really was 'the sick man of Europe' - it was in intensive care.

Creating a flexible labour force (by breaking the power of the unions) allowed the UK economy to grow and allowed many people to determine their own destinies.
    Obviously there was a lot of pain in part of the country due to a massive shock to those local economies, and some people never recovered, others however prospered greatly.

Of course you can argue that some measures went too far, but it is pretty staggering that anyone could thing we'd overall have been better off if Labour had won the 1979 election.
    Aren’t you arguing that it’s the deeply poor left behind folk who thought life is so rough they would vote for any change including Brexit?

In which case, look at all the charts on page 10, 11, 13 on this doc on income inequality
    https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7484/CBP-7484.pdf

Or here:

What happens in 1981 that suddenly increases inequality?
  • Stevo_666

Jezyboy said:

Am I wrong to assume you didn't live through the latter part of the 1970s? It was censored awful! The UK really was 'the sick man of Europe' - it was in intensive care.

Spot on. I'm just about about old enough to remember all that crap in the late 70s under the then Labour govt.

Thatch turned it around and for that we should be grateful.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited September 2021
    I started work in 1970, worked during the 3 day week. I remember participating in some one day National strikes, but I’ve no idea what they were for. The late 70’s were quite good for me sign on dole on Tuesday, catch the bus down to the Peak District, climb, doss somewhere. Back home on Sunday, repeat again the following week swopping the Peak for Wales, the Lakes or Yorkshire. Even trips had to France and the USA.
    Get a job in the winter and save up for next summers climbing.