EF launches coaching service

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

Yeahbut EF don't actually have anything to sell.
    It is all supplied kit.

blimey. seriously?

if there is money to be made they will supply stuff to sell.

rapha sell to ef specifically for this.

ef sell to punter specifically for this.

ef and rapha have separate deal for team kit.

its called business.
    Go to the EF website. Click on shopping. It takes you to the Rapha website.
    it really is like banging your head against a wall.....

if you supply it the people will buy it.

its two completely separate business models.

no one honestly thinks they will allow this to disrupt the pro team, yah?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Yeah, like banging your head against a wall.
    Rapha sell EF team kit that Rapha supply. EF supply and sell nothing but coaching.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I do think teams are missing a trick on making themselves a brand that can generate its own income in whatever way. I know it's not a popular view with some that people tend to support a particular cycling team but I'm pretty sure it happens and always has done. There's obviously not the market there is for top football clubs etc. but I do think that in the relatively low budget world of pro cycling it could add a decent percentage to their annual income.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    They need to keep the same name in order to be able to do that. You can't build a brand, let alone brand loyalty when constantly changing your name.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    m.r.m. said:

They need to keep the same name in order to be able to do that. You can't build a brand, let alone brand loyalty when constantly changing your name.

EF are unique in the cycling world though as they're not named after the sponsor of the team as EF actually owns the cycling team. As such, it's unlikely that their name will be changing any time soon.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    edited July 2021
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/road.cc/content/news/270629-cycling-world-reacts-lance-armstrongs-30k-ride?amp

$30k for 7 days cycling with Lance . It sold out within a couple of days

Teams need to shift income from a couple of wealthy sponsors to a broader income pipeline of numerous individuals who are happy to part with £5k a year plus- it’s a more stable and secure foundation for the team- or it’s extra profit on an existing cost base. Salaries of coach’s , nutritionists, chefs etc are already accounted for .

And if you could why wouldn’t you? Either professional teams, individual riders or the paying public?

The coaching model is limited contacts per month and the offer in question isn’t even their premium offer. As with everything professional teams do, everything is effectively managed to be sustainable and max out the performance of the team. In this case “performance” is team wide within the context of financial performance balanced with the cycling performance of the team.

Lots of eyes in the industry will be on this.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    BBC News - 'Luxury' race will be among most expensive on earth
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57975285

Not just in cycling!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited July 2021
    The house price rise in Chamonix is being driven by Trail Runners at the moment. Skiers and Mountainers are out of luck.

It seems that a lot of techbros are into trail running (and then masterpodcasting about it)

(You can see why Colin O'Brady's schtick worked so well)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675

BBC News - 'Luxury' race will be among most expensive on earth
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57975285

Not just in cycling!

It's been a weird year but it's not April 1st is it?
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021
    @£4000/night DB&B Michelin food seems expensive to say the least.
    Bed being in a tent is ludicrous. 🤣🤣🤣 In Scotland? In the rain? Midges? 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    pblakeney said:

@£4000/night DB&B Michelin food seems expensive to say the least.
    Bed being in a tent is ludicrous. 🤣🤣🤣 In Scotland? In the rain? Midges? 🤣🤣🤣

I bet they will get rid of the midges with pesticide or something.

Bed in a tent covers quite a range of possibilities; I'm assuming this will not be a thermarest and a sleeping bag...
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021
    Best tell the Scots how this pesticide works as they've been plagued for centuries.
    Nice as far as tent "restaurants" go, but still...

Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    pblakeney said:

Best tell the Scots how this pesticide works as they've been plagued for centuries.

I doubt blanketing the highlands in pesticide would be acceptable to most people... Although I think they have experimented with it in Canada for other types of midge where they're invasive.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    They should release a load of midge-eating arachnids over Scotland
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 387
    edited July 2021
    Colby Pearce mentioned on his podcast that he is going to be head coach for this. I think he's great, but afaik is not part of the current EF setup. However, he is big mates with JV from way back and looks like he is being brought in to manage this. He only mentioned it in passing, but my sense was that they would be getting a load of new coaches to run this i.e. it won't be EF's pro-team coaches doing the coaching, but rather they will be using the branding (and possibly some faciities). Nothing wrong with that, but for that kind of moolah I'd want to be coached by the prop staff. Will be interesting to see how this goes, sustainable business models for pro cycling seem to be few and far between...

I guess he might also be trying to flog some Lore One shoes (something else he's involved with) once they've idientifed the wealthy clients. Fwiw whilst the prices for the EF coaching look silly from over here, given US salaries and current coaching rates per session it might not look that bad from over there on an annual basis...
  • bobmcstuff
    elbowloh said:

They should release a load of midge-eating arachnids over Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuiK7jcC1fY
  • bobmcstuff

I guess he might also be trying to flog some Lore One shoes (something else he's involved with) once they've idientifed the wealthy clients. Fwiw whilst the prices for the EF coaching look silly from over here, given US salaries and current coaching rates per session it might not look that bad from over there on an annual basis...

Yeah on the TR forum there was a debate about coaching rates, and actually they aren't as much more expensive than quality coaches as I might have expected. Still fairly pricey there though.
  • pblakeney

Fwiw whilst the prices for the EF coaching look silly from over here, given US salaries and current coaching rates per session it might not look that bad from over there on an annual basis...

This came up recently in an unrelated conversation. IME people in North America won't do anything without taking classes/coaching. Self learning is a foreign concept.
    Veronese68 wrote: