13»

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Lap, prior to more wfh. A couple of you might recognise the venue.

Changed a lot since my day
    in colour?
    no horse and carts?
    no gas street lighting?
    No saw dust or horse droppings either.
    It's all 'orrible and contemporary innit.
    Rarely had horse drawn drays, even when Youngs still used them out of Wandsworth, as it's at the top of a hill.
    I'm sure that the Pig and Whistle in Earlsfield, well Wimbledon Park really I suppose, used to get its beer off a horse drawn dray when I first moved there. But I could be imagining that.
    I remember the horse drawn dray! My bedroom was on the main road a block down from the pig and whistle when I was a kid, many a happy drunk staggering home would wake me 😕
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    pinno said:

For a cyclist, you don't half post a lot of pics of the sea DHL.

It's the only stop on my local ride.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    tlw1 said:

Can we mark this day down ready to celebrate next year?

I’ve fixed something myself, the sliding window wasn’t opening on the van and with a razor blade, GT85 and a block of wood - it now works

Works, or you just smashed the window with the block of wood, while shaving with GT85 as a substitute for shaving cream cos your beard growth is so luxuriantly masculine?

If not, then I'm raising a glass of lilt zero in your general direction! Similarly shoite with handy tasks here.
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

in colour?
    no horse and carts?
    no gas street lighting?
    Rarely had horse drawn drays, even when Youngs still used them out of Wandsworth, as it's at the top of a hill.
    I'm sure that the Pig and Whistle in Earlsfield, well Wimbledon Park really I suppose, used to get its beer off a horse drawn dray when I first moved there. But I could be imagining that.
    I remember the horse drawn dray! My bedroom was on the main road a block down from the pig and whistle when I was a kid, many a happy drunk staggering home would wake me 😕
    Was my local from 2000-2006, I doubt I woke you up. If I did, I apologise. :)

Still not sure if I just saw the horse drawn thing in Wandsworth, and am making it into a local memory.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    edited July 2021
    Hook Norton brewery in that there Oxfordshire still use horse drawn dray for local deliveries. I have seen that in the (horse) flesh and thought I'd check if they still do... and lo, new cuddies.

https://www.hooky.co.uk/new-shire-horses/

Added: btw that brewery has a classic Victorian structure, well worth a visit if one is in the area.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

in colour?
    no horse and carts?
    no gas street lighting?
    Was my local from 2000-2006, I doubt I woke you up. If I did, I apologise. :)

Still not sure if I just saw the horse drawn thing in Wandsworth, and am making it into a local memory.
    No, Young's still used a horse drawn dray when they were in Wandsworth. When not doing shows and events they were put to work on the local routes, so Earlsfield would have got them.
    Saw Oliver Reed in the Hand, Gareth Hunt, Jimmy White and Ronnie Wood were regulars amongst others. Walked in there with my sister a couple of years back and one of aforementioned old gits shouted "bloody hell, it's like being back in the 80s again". Maybe I should worry we were so well known.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    oxoman said:

On a different note, been told the jobs mine so just waiting for the paperwork before handing notice in. Can we make it 2 sparkles in 7 days. Perhaps they might realise why the fuxxed up then. Currently looking for 2 sparkles soon to be 3 plus 2 fitters. oopsie daisy someone's going to be unhappy.

Sounds good Mr Oxo. Maybe hand your notice in over the radio so everyone can hear?
  • hopkinb
    It's a lovely pub still. Just not a pub so much. Better than next door.
  • veronese68
    thistle_ said:

oxoman said:

On a different note, been told the jobs mine so just waiting for the paperwork before handing notice in. Can we make it 2 sparkles in 7 days. Perhaps they might realise why the fuxxed up then. Currently looking for 2 sparkles soon to be 3 plus 2 fitters. oopsie daisy someone's going to be unhappy.

Sounds good Mr Oxo. Maybe hand your notice in over the radio so everyone can hear?
    Missed that, well done Oxo
  • veronese68
    hopkinb said:

It's a lovely pub still. Just not a pub so much. Better than next door.

Stopped going next door the day I turned 18
  • thistle_
    In other radio news, I finished work 30 mins early and went for a trek up an obscure hill away from all the crowds.
    This little b1tch invited herself along for the walk, much to the owner's unamusement when I brought her back 3 miles later, still full of beans.

Being a spaniel she made it very clear that sitting on top of the hill for 30 mins was not an option.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    thistle_ said:

Being a spaniel she made it very clear that sitting on top of the hill for 30 mins was not an option.

Mine did that to me 800m up in driving slow whilst I tried to get some shelter and a bite to eat.
    He barked at me constantly and I didn't have the inclination to fetch him, put his lead on and sit him down next to me.
    However, it was a white out and I told him 'home' repeatedly which he understood and took me the direct route back down the hill. Which was not how the meandering path went but we got back fine.
    6am next morning, he's nudging my elbow whilst I lay in bed 'cos he was mad for another adventure.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

Mine did that to me 800m up in driving slow whilst I tried to get some shelter and a bite to eat.
    He barked at me constantly and I didn't have the inclination to fetch him, put his lead on and sit him down next to me.
    However, it was a white out and I told him 'home' repeatedly which he understood and took me the direct route back down the hill. Which was not how the meandering path went but we got back fine.
    6am next morning, he's nudging my elbow whilst I lay in bed 'cos he was mad for another adventure.

Yeah this one seemed to know the exact route to and from the summit (which was handy because I didn't and the path wasn't obvious) even though apparently they'd never walked her that way before.
    I suspect it's not the first time she's tagged along on someone's walk.
  • hopkinb
    Are they gaiters thistle? Or are you having a shoite?
  • thistle_
    No and no?
    Just walking boots and amazing calfs.
  • hopkinb
    Gotcha, that's your heel/calf. Perspective restored.
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

Yeah this one seemed to know the exact route to and from the summit (which was handy because I didn't and the path wasn't obvious) even though apparently they'd never walked her that way before.
    I suspect it's not the first time she's tagged along on someone's walk.
    Fantastic 6th sense. Surprised that a dog that you had no connection with followed you. Good company.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Not long back from picking junior up from Euston. Bit tired now and have to get planned action sorted for dealing with the stuff in the surveyors report. We're going to have to chip a 'bit' off the price by the look of it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod said:

'ning

smidge hungover from a surfeit of billecart salmons and tawny ports, and far too little food and water

ride, cafe, cafe, webex, tdf, laze

It's puddy tat
  • pinno
    He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    pinno said:

He's right you know.

i know, it was artistic license
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    edited July 2021
    sungod said:

pinno said:

He's right you know.

i know, it was artistic license
    Like 'Sundog millionaire'?

Or would that be stretching it?
    I meant no offence with the 'dog' bit because I realise that would be highly offensive.