TDF 2021: Stage 16 Pas de la Case > Saint-Gaudens 169 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Weird thing to do. Drive the top 10 hard the last 7 km then lead out a sprint. Guess Vingegaard wasn't lying when he said he wanted the race harder

WvA is training for the Olympics. That is the main objective (for him).
    Who is he going to be leading out at the Olympics?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132

Rather slow day today. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Brad Wiggins called it boring.
    The headwind didn't help but really, that profile says it all: breakaway day, GC boys to take a casual day.

Have I missed a law being passed that means men's sport must be presented by a woman?
    Who is Orla's replacement?
    Laura Winter - she's presented plenty of cycling before.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Have I missed a law being passed that means men's sport must be presented by a woman?

Why not? It's not like sport hasn't been dominated by dudes for a looooooong time.

As a woman I like to see the sport reflect the fact that not everyone who watches and is a fan are male and if that comes through the choices of who fronts shows like the Breakaway then great - ITV4's coverage could take note.

Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited July 2021
    andyrac said:

The headwind didn't help but really, that profile says it all: breakaway day, GC boys to take a casual day.

Never heard of her tbh.
    Missing Orla already.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles

Why not? It's not like sport hasn't been dominated by dudes for a looooooong time.

As a woman I like to see the sport reflect the fact that not everyone who watches and is a fan are male and if that comes through the choices of who fronts shows like the Breakaway then great - ITV4's coverage could take note.

Get rid of Gary Imlach and all those memories?
    Ageism!
    No wonder Rick Chasey has liked your post. (it's a cake stop running joke ;) )

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    It seems Ineos have finally found a way to beat Pogacar.

"One, two, three, four - I declare a thumb war..."

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Just caught the highlights. Great ride by Konrad in that wind and very good performances from Colbrelli and Matthews. I'm surprised DQS didn't stick someone to sit on the break and kill it with those two there. Perichon probably won't be on Cav's Christmas card list after that finish, the group did 200m in the same time he did 100m but a brave effort and that headwind plus slope took its toll.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847

Weird thing to do. Drive the top 10 hard the last 7 km then lead out a sprint. Guess Vingegaard wasn't lying when he said he wanted the race harder

Might be something to this .. he is riding God mode at the moment
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Decent tussle up front but had potential for a ambush
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Just caught the highlights. Great ride by Konrad in that wind and very good performances from Colbrelli and Matthews. I'm surprised DQS didn't stick someone to sit on the break and kill it with those two there. Perichon probably won't be on Cav's Christmas card list after that finish, the group did 200m in the same time he did 100m but a brave effort and that headwind plus slope took its toll.

They tried to get cattaneo and asgreen down the road but failed
  • Pross
    edited July 2021
    I liked Kuss doing the high tech version of me losing the wheel on a club run "knock it off a bit Wout a few of the others are struggling, not me honest but there's a few starting to grovel".
  • blazing_saddles

Pross said:

They tried to get cattaneo and asgreen down the road but failed
    To be fair, Asgreen was up the road for quite a number of kms and at one point had a lead of over 2 minutes.
    The trouble was that he was alone and there were too many interested parties.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

Ageism!

Wow Gary is in his sixties now! Also, what does he do for the rest of the year when he's not doing cycling for ITV4?
  • Pross

Domestique for the reigning champ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    r0bh said:

Wow Gary is in his sixties now! Also, what does he do for the rest of the year when he's not doing cycling for ITV4?

He's Banksy
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Pross said:

Domestique for the reigning champ?
    Please, anything but another four years of the golden helmet...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    r0bh said:

Ageism!

Delivering food to the homeless (I spotted him in the street doing this)
  • RichN95.
    At this point in the race I would say that anyone from 6th to 12th, apart from maybe Guillaume Martin, can claim the Zubeldia award.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447

Equality innit. If you’ve watched any other sports over the last year or so, nearly all of them have female presenters or analysts now.

• Pross

Surely it should also be the case that the person is capable irrespective of gender? It may be that Orla's replacement is perfectly capable (I didn't see today's coverage to judge). Orla herself is excellent in the role and is there on merit as far as I can tell. I think GCN / ES are actually doing a good job all round with getting female pundits, commentators and presenters who know their stuff rather than just as tokenism though.

Would you honestly like to see ITV ditch Imlach, who has been excellent for decades, just to get their lineup to be more diverse?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583

andyrac said:

Never heard of her tbh.
    Missing Orla already.
    Never heard of her either, wasn't sure about her at the start, but starting to warm to her - guess it will take her a while to settle in.

Looks like she has done a ton of work, but I don't recall seeing her before:
    https://lauracwinter.com/about

I had assumed they would just shoe horn Lloyd into the role.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    I always find it fun that when a cycling journalist on socials goes on about diversity in the peloton to ask them if they can name a non-white European cycling journalist. I've never got a reply. It's the most white, middle aged, straight male job going.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Right then. Bastille Day is here. The day when, traditionally, great French hope turns to great French disappointment.

Alaphilippe is probably bearing much of the burden today, though Gaudu will also have a share. Guillame Martin got slapped back into place by Van Aert yesterday and is most likely licking his wounds. Anyone else feeling the weight of a nation today?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross said:

Surely it should also be the case that the person is capable irrespective of gender? It may be that Orla's replacement is perfectly capable (I didn't see today's coverage to judge). Orla herself is excellent in the role and is there on merit as far as I can tell. I think GCN / ES are actually doing a good job all round with getting female pundits, commentators and presenters who know their stuff rather than just as tokenism though.

Would you honestly like to see ITV ditch Imlach, who has been excellent for decades, just to get their lineup to be more diverse?
    Part of the problem is that as soon as a woman gets any gig like this it's assumed to be tokenism, despite the fact that we have a seemingly immortal thread of thousands of posts dedicated to exactly how cr@p one of the commentators is. Often this is without any knowledge of who the woman is or what previous work she's done or what qualifications she has. People see a woman first and assume. The call to employ people on their merits is being made by people who judge based on gender first.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2021

Right then. Bastille Day is here. The day when, traditionally, great French hope turns to great French disappointment.

Alaphilippe is probably bearing much of the burden today, though Gaudu will also have a share. Guillame Martin got slapped back into place by Van Aert yesterday and is most likely licking his wounds. Anyone else feeling the weight of a nation today?

My Prediciton: Anyone going for the win on this stage today, French or otherwise, has zero chance. ;)
  • Pross
    edited July 2021

Pross said:

Part of the problem is that as soon as a woman gets any gig like this it's assumed to be tokenism, despite the fact that we have a seemingly immortal thread of thousands of posts dedicated to exactly how cr@p one of the commentators is. Often this is without any knowledge of who the woman is or what previous work she's done or what qualifications she has. People see a woman first and assume. The call to employ people on their merits is being made by people who judge based on gender first.
    I can only speak for myself but the first time I saw Orla presenting (I'd never heard of her) it was obvious she was very good at her job. The same applies with many others such as Gabby Logan. At the other end of the scale you have Sonja McLaughlin who has asked inane questions from day one and shows no understanding of the sport, usually rugby, she is covering. I haven't seen Laura yet and have no preconceptions but I'd be a bit annoyed if the new presenter turned out to be a male sports version of Richard Madeley.

CK is terrible and I suspect he has a job because he is a relic of the days when ES were scraping around for someone to commentate on niche sports. I assume he has some language skills. To flip it around would you want to see say Dan Lloyd replaced by a female version of CK?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    I just assume all pundits and commentators are useless until there is evidence to the contrary. Some sports have a higher standard than others due to the nature of the sport. Cricket, for example, has a much higher standard than football. I put this down to cricket players spending a lot of time thinking about strategy while playing whereas footballers don't tend to.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645

My Prediciton: Anyone going for the win on this stage today, French or otherwise, has zero chance. ;)
    Well someone has to win
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,922

Well someone has to win
    Except the stage (16) was held yesterday! :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Well someone has to win
    Except the stage (16) was held yesterday! :D
    Dammit! Mea Culpa. Sorry.