Flying to outer space

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited July 2021

Look at their faces Chasey, they aren't consumed by negativity. They are partaking in history!
  • focuszing723

• focuszing723
    NASA’s highly anticipated mission to explore Jupiter’s largest moon, Europa, has officially booked its ride to space.

According to NASA officials, the $4.25bn Europa Clipper spacecraft will launch atop a SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket as part of a contract worth about $178m.

https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2021/7/26/jupiter-rising-spacex-just-scored-another-major-nasa-contract
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jul/26/jeff-bezos-nasa-blue-origin-space

If I was Bezos, I'd want to go to the moon. Or at least into orbit. That sitting on top of a big firework thing he did wouldn't cut it.
  • focuszing723
    Yeah, both Bezos and Branson's experiences were a bit bloody quick too, really an experience that can be obtained on a zero-g flight.
  • focuszing723
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9oEc0wCQDE

If you have some time watch this non-bias impartial interview with one of the greatest humans humanity has had the pleasure to call it's own. Rockets, EVs, solar, Neuralink...

Greatness.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036

<

When you look at the breakdown of where they are making profits, bizarrely, it is often not the selling of cars that accounts for the profit, but weird FX calls or bitcoin investments or all sorts.

Sounds like most car companies over the last 20 years. GM was a finance company pimping dodgy loans, until the financial crisis hit them.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    davidof said:

<

When you look at the breakdown of where they are making profits, bizarrely, it is often not the selling of cars that accounts for the profit, but weird FX calls or bitcoin investments or all sorts.

Sounds like most car companies over the last 20 years. GM was a finance company pimping dodgy loans, until the financial crisis hit them.
    Sure, Telsa is currently valued at roughly the same as the next 8 biggest car manufacturers *combined* .
  • focuszing723
    That's not Musks/Teslas fault though. He's rubbished the companies valuation on many occasions.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

That's not Musks/Teslas fault though. He's rubbished the companies valuation on many occasions.

Is that why the SEC fined him $20m and forced him to step down as Chairman?
  • focuszing723

"I think some critical mass of the market has concluded that Tesla will win, I guess. I mean I've gone on record already saying I think the stock price is a bit high, and that was well before the current level," the Tesla CEO said. "But also if you ask me, do I think if Tesla will be worth more than this in five years? I think the answer is yes."

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-stock-price-elon-musk-ceo-higher-valuation-overvalued-5-years-2020-9
  • surrey_commuter

"I think some critical mass of the market has concluded that Tesla will win, I guess. I mean I've gone on record already saying I think the stock price is a bit high, and that was well before the current level," the Tesla CEO said. "But also if you ask me, do I think if Tesla will be worth more than this in five years? I think the answer is yes."

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-stock-price-elon-musk-ceo-higher-valuation-overvalued-5-years-2020-9
    Do you accept that the SEC fined him $20m and forced him to step down as Chairman?
  • focuszing723

Do you accept that the SEC fined him $20m and forced him to step down as Chairman?
    Can you please stop p1$$1ng on my chips?

...He might have.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Elon Musk.

He's just a bit of a tit isn't he?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    My point re the valuation of Tesla etc is that is how he has the money to do all this space stuff.

It's all a house of cards.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.ft.com/content/e5acc32d-7589-4f97-bfbc-380008a0fc28

So here is FT Alphaville who have been quite scathing of the mysterious numbers in the annual reports today about the most recent numbers.

his quarter, however, FT Alphaville’s inspection drew a blank. In fact, the financials were remarkably clean. There were no bitcoin sales to boost the bottom line, the amount of pure profit zero emission credits sold declined both year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter and, to boot, Tesla boasted record automative gross margins over a period with of rising raw material costs and widespread supply chain disruption.

You’d think with record revenues, record gross margins, and record profits investors would be giddy. And you’d be sort of right. In pre-market, Tesla’s shares are up. But a move of just 0.9 per cent feels particularly mute for a scrip that is widely renown for its manic volatility.

Just so you know i'm not totally unbalanced about all of this and I do actually read about it ;)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747

My point re the valuation of Tesla etc is that is how he has the money to do all this space stuff.

You sound an awful lot like me circa 2000 regarding the dot com boom.
    Cynicism can sometimes be warranted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,911

I think it's all a heady mix of modern capitalism, silicon valley's fail fast ways and a business leader that has managed to build a bit of a cult around himself.

I beleive his paypal money would have been enough for spacex (although I may be wrong) and that many suggest that spacex is already a money making scheme.

That John who is an apparent engineer of the forum, doesn't see that well publicised space exploration is a fantastic STEM outreach program is suprising.

Having worked on the early design stages of rocketry turbomachinery it's still a very difficult problem, even if they did put a man on the moon a few years back.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674

That is a pre-production research experimental prototype, yes? Paging the design team...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,592
    pblakeney said:

Amazon share price is now many multiples of its dot com boom share price.
  • surrey_commuter
    Jezyboy said:

I think it's all a heady mix of modern capitalism, silicon valley's fail fast ways and a business leader that has managed to build a bit of a cult around himself.

I beleive his paypal money would have been enough for spacex (although I may be wrong) and that many suggest that spacex is already a money making scheme.

That John who is an apparent engineer of the forum, doesn't see that well publicised space exploration is a fantastic STEM outreach program is suprising.

Having worked on the early design stages of rocketry turbomachinery it's still a very difficult problem, even if they did put a man on the moon a few years back.
    SpaceX is a private company so much less stringent reporting compliance. The start up costs must have been enormous so whilst it might be making a trading profit it must have colossal debts.

I believe Musk borrowed money for SpaceX using his Tesla shares as collateral which is why he is so interested in the share price as presumably if the price goes down he has to post more collateral.

He only made $165m on Paypal but has put it to good use since. Even so he only has $20-30bn which is more Chelsea FC money than funding exploration of Mars
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

An exception that proves the rule.
    Capitalism as a whole was a house of cards pre 2008. Remember what happened then?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,592
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Capitalism as a whole was a house of cards pre 2008. Remember what happened then?

There were other exceptions as well. The point is that the entire car industry is about to change and there is no guarantee that the current winners will continue to win. In the same way that Nokia lost the smart phone market, people are betting that Tesla will be the new iPhone.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

There were other exceptions as well. The point is that the entire car industry is about to change and there is no guarantee that the current winners will continue to win. In the same way that Nokia lost the smart phone market, people are betting that Tesla will be the new iPhone.
    The original point was that other people take a more cynical view.
    Some will win, more will lose.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    Rimac, the Croatian electric hypercar start-up, will take control of Volkswagen’s Bugatti brand in a deal that cements its position as an established automotive force.

The new company will be called Bugatti Rimac and be led by Mate Rimac, who founded the eponymous group in 2009 in his garage and has grown it to become one of the industry’s most called-upon technology providers.

https://www.ft.com/content/56be5f08-fe6e-481f-ba6d-71ef49d2cfc4

I can't see how anybody can argue what Tesla has achieved in eighteen years is incredible. Talking of Elon Musk, Mate Rimac is pretty damn impressive as an induvial too. They've both had bloody tough times when they are on the brink financially with their companies.
  • surrey_commuter

Rimac, the Croatian electric hypercar start-up, will take control of Volkswagen’s Bugatti brand in a deal that cements its position as an established automotive force.

The new company will be called Bugatti Rimac and be led by Mate Rimac, who founded the eponymous group in 2009 in his garage and has grown it to become one of the industry’s most called-upon technology providers.

I can't see how anybody can argue what Tesla has achieved in eighteen years is incredible. Talking of Elon Musk, Mate Rimac is pretty damn impressive as an induvial too. They've both had bloody tough times when they are on the brink financially with their companies.
    This is not a snide question.

What has Tesla achieved in eighteen years?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,911
    Been the driver behind electric cars turning from milk floats and curiosities like the g wizz to serious vehicles?
  • focuszing723

This is not a snide question.

What has Tesla achieved in eighteen years?
    Ummmm, creating and mass producing a car. Let alone being semi autonomous, electric with a good range and having a charging network which is currently considered better than any other company has been able to muster.

18 years!
  • focuszing723
    18!