9sp to 11sp for Smart Trainer

parmos
parmos Posts: 100
edited May 2021 in The workshop
Right Guys,

i have a Kickrcore Smart trainer at home which i has a 105 11sp cassette on question is i have a old Hybrid bike which i am going to use on the Kickr instead of my 11sp roadie but its only a 9sp obv i don't require the rear wheel only the front crank and chain is this just a case of changing the front chainrings over with a new chain to a another shimano 11sp

Cheers

Comments

• Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    If you are just popping on the 9 speed hybrid with nothing removed but the rear wheel, all you need to do is to install a 9speed cassette on your smart trainer.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    If you're planning to use the hybrid instead of the road bike on the Kickr, the easiest thing to do is just to get a 9 speed cassette and fit it onto the Kickr. If you're planning to have the hybrid on there permanently, you could just use the cassette currently fitted to the rear wheel. You'll need a 1.85mm spacer on the freehub. The Kickr may have come with this, if not they're readily available, like this one: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-hub-cassette-spacer-11-speed-to-10-speed
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    edited May 2021
    Onegear said:

If you are just popping on the 9 speed hybrid with nothing removed but the rear wheel, all you need to do is to install a 9speed cassette on your smart trainer.

If you're planning to use the hybrid instead of the road bike on the Kickr, the easiest thing to do is just to get a 9 speed cassette and fit it onto the Kickr. If you're planning to have the hybrid on there permanently, you could just use the cassette currently fitted to the rear wheel. You'll need a 1.85mm spacer on the freehub. The Kickr may have come with this, if not they're readily available, like this one: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-hub-cassette-spacer-11-speed-to-10-speed

i have got a spare 9sp cassette anyways just ideally wanted a 11sp on it as that's what i've been used too, i have got spanners etc to swap them over just wanted to know whether it was worth changing the front chain rings that's all but by the sounds of it, it isn't

Cheers
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    To get the hybrid shifting correctly on an 11 speed cassette, you'll need a new rear shifter and a new rear mech, and an 11 speed chain to mesh with the cassette properly. The front isn't really relevant. You can't just use 9 gears from the 11 speed cassette, the spacing between cogs is different.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2021
    front chain rings will be fine but as above you'll need a new shifter and rear mech and chain.

just use the 9 speed stuff.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Onegear
    Onegear Posts: 76
    The constraint is the shifters and derailleurs. You may be able to get by with chainring compatibility but at the core you will need to change nearly the whole groupset for 2 more speeds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    2 more speeds that don't really make a difference on a turbo or, some may, on the road....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.