Honourable politicians.

13»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667

Lol what can science tell you about politics?

Quite the opposite: science is just as political as everything else.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    rjsterry said:

It isn't apolitical by any means, but there are too many people with autistic tendencies in scientific careers for this statement to be even close to being true.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    Not sure what you are getting at there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Not sure what you are getting at there.

Of course not. No science is just as political as... politics.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

Science isn't political, scientists can be.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Ffs. As much as politicians? Let's get past the absurd shall we.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 389
    Seems almost off topic at this point, but...Robin Cook?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Pross said:

The other thing to note on Scottish Independence is that Sturgeon is now saying it can wait until after the recovery which I assume is an admission they need the financial support of the UK Government to recover from the financial impact of Covid. It doesn't feel like a country ready for independence in that case.

Helpfully vague. But if you listen carefully, "the recovery" has to last until end 2023 at the latest, to fall within "first half of the parliament". How naive is that?

The SNP has not run the country in a way intended to set it up for independence, they've just been chasing votes. All of the free this, free that we were arguing about last week has not been paid for by much in the way of tax increase, but instead by starving local councils of money and by spending much, much more than the country can afford on things it doesn't really need.

Any rational assessment would be that independence is a bad idea. The "case" for independence is anti-English sentiment and that's about it.
    I've never understood the ongoing antipathy toward the English. Take football. In any World Cup where England have qualified, but Scotland haven't (ie most of them), Scottish football fans reportedly revel in cheering on whoever England are playing (even Germany). This attitude seems to be almost entirely one way. On the rare occasions when Scotland qualify but England don't, eg 1974 or 1978, I seem to remember the whole of the UK getting behind the Scotland team, even if there was a certain amount of amusement when Scotland failed to get out of the group stage from a seemingly unassailable position.

I am a Scot and I don't cheer on the other side. I do however get frustrated by England's lack of results even though they have had plenty of talent over the years.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    john80 said:

Pross said:

The other thing to note on Scottish Independence is that Sturgeon is now saying it can wait until after the recovery which I assume is an admission they need the financial support of the UK Government to recover from the financial impact of Covid. It doesn't feel like a country ready for independence in that case.

Helpfully vague. But if you listen carefully, "the recovery" has to last until end 2023 at the latest, to fall within "first half of the parliament". How naive is that?

The SNP has not run the country in a way intended to set it up for independence, they've just been chasing votes. All of the free this, free that we were arguing about last week has not been paid for by much in the way of tax increase, but instead by starving local councils of money and by spending much, much more than the country can afford on things it doesn't really need.

Any rational assessment would be that independence is a bad idea. The "case" for independence is anti-English sentiment and that's about it.
    I've never understood the ongoing antipathy toward the English. Take football. In any World Cup where England have qualified, but Scotland haven't (ie most of them), Scottish football fans reportedly revel in cheering on whoever England are playing (even Germany). This attitude seems to be almost entirely one way. On the rare occasions when Scotland qualify but England don't, eg 1974 or 1978, I seem to remember the whole of the UK getting behind the Scotland team, even if there was a certain amount of amusement when Scotland failed to get out of the group stage from a seemingly unassailable position.

I am a Scot and I don't cheer on the other side. I do however get frustrated by England's lack of results even though they have had plenty of talent over the years.
    Brian will have your guts for garters if you carry on.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

Ffs. As much as politicians? Let's get past the absurd shall we.
    No, of course not. That was just in response to others saying science is political. I was actually defending science.

Of course scientists can be political, it's more absurd not event countenance that they're not. They're human.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Scientists are not political in my view when doing technical based science however they are affected by society and peer pressure. They are also a lot of the time funded based on where people think the science is leading. Try getting money to debunk climate change for example versus some work in proving climate change is a problem and see what gets you money quicker. That is not to say I don't believe in climate change before you all go down that route. I am merely saying that science is often done with some social or political pressure behind it and not in a vacuum.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Chukka umman (sp?) Seemed genuine.

Thanks for mentioning Chukka.

When he pulled out of the Labour leadership race there were a lot of rumours of some deep dark secret - even horror of horrors - that he might be gay !

I did a bit of digging and pretty much nothing. It was just he realized that Labour is a basket case, at least as far as his leadership would have been concerned.

The worst thing he may have done is edited his own wikipedia page to claim that he is the new Obama.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think politicians get tarred as dishonest or dishonourable a little unfairly. I suspect most have fairly strong convictions that guide their actions - ok along with personal ambition but I don't think they are unique in that.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Trouble is they have three masters; their conscience, their constituents and the need to toe the party line.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    and you missed the most important one:

whoever is paying for their £840 each rolls of wall paper.....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021

Trouble is they have three masters; their conscience, their constituents and the need to toe the party line.

And the Eton tie or union network
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle said:

and you missed the most important one:

whoever is paying for their £840 each rolls of wall paper.....

elbowloh said:

Trouble is they have three masters; their conscience, their constituents and the need to toe the party line.

And the Eton tie or union network
    Quite right, just quoting the party line.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2