Honourable politicians.

Comments

• Rather like his father, Hilary Benn-especially given his speech re Syria in December 2015.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • pblakeney said:

Example: "This is a once in a generation opportunity." Nicola Sturgeon, 2014.
    "We must have another referendum." Nicola Sturgeon, five minutes after the result didn't go the way she wanted.

Has anyone asked her, if there's another one, and it goes the same way, will she be calling for a third, and a fourth, until people vote for independence?

Fake news.

I always liked Tony Benn even if I disagreed with his politics he appeared to be honourable.
    How do you mean, fake news? I was paraphrasing her reaction to the independence referendum, but her attitude ever since has been to have another one as soon as possible, as far as I can see simply because she didn't agree with the result. Much as with the Brexit referendum. For months if not years after, there was frantic manoeuvring by those who didn't like the result, attempting to have it overturned. Politicians make much of their love of democracy - the will of the people and so on - but when the will of the people doesn't tally with what the politicians think, it tends to get trampled on.
    Someone asked whether a third referendum could be called by those who didn't like the result of indyref2 on r5 last night. As you might expect, it wasn't answered.

It seemed such an obvious question. I hadn't heard someone had asked it; good that they did. Who was it who didn't answer?

Given that Scotland leaving would affect England, Wales and Northern Ireland, has anyone suggested people there should be allowed to vote on Scottish Independence too? It would be worth it just to see Nicola Sturgeon splutter with indignation at the thought.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    MattFalle said:

If this isn't just recent politicians, I can't imagine Willie Whitelaw, Douglas Hurd, Lord Carrington or Geoffrey Howe would have been dishonourable. Nor Shirley Williams. Or Margaret Thatcher, come to that, however much she might have been disliked by some.

that evil witch Thatcher? If you class sending young lads and lasses to war to be wounded, suffer life changing injuries and bekilled and to kill other young lads in order to win an election as honourable then i think we may have a difference in opinion.
    If a PM has kids/husband of appropriate age then they should agree to go to the front line before war can be declared
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

pblakeney said:

"We must have another referendum." Nicola Sturgeon, five minutes after the result didn't go the way she wanted.

Has anyone asked her, if there's another one, and it goes the same way, will she be calling for a third, and a fourth, until people vote for independence?

Fake news.

I always liked Tony Benn even if I disagreed with his politics he appeared to be honourable.
    How do you mean, fake news? I was paraphrasing her reaction to the independence referendum, but her attitude ever since has been to have another one as soon as possible, as far as I can see simply because she didn't agree with the result. Much as with the Brexit referendum. For months if not years after, there was frantic manoeuvring by those who didn't like the result, attempting to have it overturned. Politicians make much of their love of democracy - the will of the people and so on - but when the will of the people doesn't tally with what the politicians think, it tends to get trampled on.
    Someone asked whether a third referendum could be called by those who didn't like the result of indyref2 on r5 last night. As you might expect, it wasn't answered.

It seemed such an obvious question. I hadn't heard someone had asked it; good that they did. Who was it who didn't answer?

Given that Scotland leaving would affect England, Wales and Northern Ireland, has anyone suggested people there should be allowed to vote on Scottish Independence too? It would be worth it just to see Nicola Sturgeon splutter with indignation at the thought.
    I didn't get who it was I'm afraid. Was out on my bike and my focus tends to drift in and out with the radio reception. Was during Stephen Nolan's prog last night, just after 8 I think. The usual shouty SNP person sounding like Mel Gibson.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    The other thing to note on Scottish Independence is that Sturgeon is now saying it can wait until after the recovery which I assume is an admission they need the financial support of the UK Government to recover from the financial impact of Covid. It doesn't feel like a country ready for independence in that case.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

MattFalle said:

If this isn't just recent politicians, I can't imagine Willie Whitelaw, Douglas Hurd, Lord Carrington or Geoffrey Howe would have been dishonourable. Nor Shirley Williams. Or Margaret Thatcher, come to that, however much she might have been disliked by some.

that evil witch Thatcher? If you class sending young lads and lasses to war to be wounded, suffer life changing injuries and bekilled and to kill other young lads in order to win an election as honourable then i think we may have a difference in opinion.
    If a PM has kids/husband of appropriate age then they should agree to go to the front line before war can be declared
    Can anyone identify a military conflict in which the decision to send troops wasn't at least partly political?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

The other thing to note on Scottish Independence is that Sturgeon is now saying it can wait until after the recovery which I assume is an admission they need the financial support of the UK Government to recover from the financial impact of Covid. It doesn't feel like a country ready for independence in that case.

Helpfully vague. But if you listen carefully, "the recovery" has to last until end 2023 at the latest, to fall within "first half of the parliament". How naive is that?

The SNP has not run the country in a way intended to set it up for independence, they've just been chasing votes. All of the free this, free that we were arguing about last week has not been paid for by much in the way of tax increase, but instead by starving local councils of money and by spending much, much more than the country can afford on things it doesn't really need.

Any rational assessment would be that independence is a bad idea. The "case" for independence is anti-English sentiment and that's about it.
  • rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Can anyone identify a military conflict in which the decision to send troops wasn't at least partly political?
    Now that is a real can of worms!
    Undoubtedly there have been occasions where the UK has sent 'advisers' ie Special Forces to conflicts but of course HMG never comments on such deployments but any PM with a majority will always win a vote on wether to go to war.
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited May 2021

pblakeney said:

Fake news.

Fake news as in she never said it. Find the quote if you don’t believe me.

I have no intention of going down the Indy rabbit hole.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

Now that is a real can of worms!
    Undoubtedly there have been occasions where the UK has sent 'advisers' ie Special Forces to conflicts but of course HMG never comments on such deployments but any PM with a majority will always win a vote on wether to go to war.
    That's kind of my point. Signing up is effectively putting yourself at the whim of the PM with relatively little parliamentary oversight.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Fake news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-24147303

She says it twice at about 4 minutes 50 into this clip. The clip itself is actually unintentionally hysterical in the sense that she makes some very bold claims about the state of the Scottish economy and how it will improve post independence which she must know are out and out falsehoods.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    shortfall said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Fake news.

She says it twice at about 4 minutes 50 into this clip. The clip itself is actually unintentionally hysterical in the sense that she makes some very bold claims about the state of the Scottish economy and how it will improve post independence which she must know are out and out falsehoods.
    Re the economy, it was all based on a high oil price at the time of the referendum.

Easy to get creative with the maths under those circumstances.

I guess opponents need to get back to the economic arguments and rework those numbers with actual oil revenues to show how in the toilet Scotland would be.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410

Quite hard to be honourable in the top job. You get given too many Sophie’s choices

This. The higher you climb the ladder the harder it becomes to be honest and honourable. And you can’t be honest with the media. They’ll rip you to shreds. Career politicians are the worst and shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near politics. Maybe people from certain professions could be forced to be politicians for a set period like jury service. Or we could be governed by scientists and robots or better still, robots programmed by scientists.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    seanoconn said:

Quite hard to be honourable in the top job. You get given too many Sophie’s choices

This. The higher you climb the ladder the harder it becomes to be honest and honourable. And you can’t be honest with the media. They’ll rip you to shreds. Career politicians are the worst and shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near politics. Maybe people from certain professions could be forced to be politicians for a set period like jury service. Or we could be governed by scientists and robots or better still, robots programmed by scientists.

I hate to say it, but scientists aren't necessarily the best at making political decisions or persuading a sceptical (or sometimes, stupid) public.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705
    Lol what can science tell you about politics?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410

There must be a chemical formula for good politics.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    shortfall said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Fake news.

It was made in 2013 which was unknown to me, but fair point, well made.
    Hands up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    seanoconn said:

There must be a chemical formula for good politics.
    There is a chemical formula for bull shit by it is very complicated.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    MattFalle said:

Paddy Ashdown

On a similar Lib Dem vibe, I'd add Charles Kennedy to the list as someone I've always respected.
    Being one of the few Lib Dem MP's to vote against the coalition as he could see it would be against the wishes of most of the Lib Dem voters was an honourable move in my opinion.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited May 2021
    Double Post
  • shortfall said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Fake news.

Thanks for finding that. I was pretty sure I remembered she was saying it, or variations of it, for a long time in the build up to the referendum; once in a generation, once in a lifetime, once and for all, etc, obviously not thinking for a second about the possibility of the vote not going the way she wanted. As soon as it did, she suddenly started looking for reasons to have another one. She seems a trifle obsessed, I think.

• oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited May 2021

Pross said:

Helpfully vague. But if you listen carefully, "the recovery" has to last until end 2023 at the latest, to fall within "first half of the parliament". How naive is that?

The SNP has not run the country in a way intended to set it up for independence, they've just been chasing votes. All of the free this, free that we were arguing about last week has not been paid for by much in the way of tax increase, but instead by starving local councils of money and by spending much, much more than the country can afford on things it doesn't really need.

Any rational assessment would be that independence is a bad idea. The "case" for independence is anti-English sentiment and that's about it.
    I've never understood the ongoing antipathy toward the English. Take football. In any World Cup where England have qualified, but Scotland haven't (ie most of them), Scottish football fans reportedly revel in cheering on whoever England are playing (even Germany). This attitude seems to be almost entirely one way. On the rare occasions when Scotland qualify but England don't, eg 1974 or 1978, I seem to remember the whole of the UK getting behind the Scotland team, even if there was a certain amount of amusement when Scotland failed to get out of the group stage from a seemingly unassailable position.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    edited May 2021
    ^ I take it you're English then.

Edited to add an example of a popular song for Scotland footie fans back in the day. To the tune of the chorus of 'Those Were the Days' by Mary Hopkin

"We xxxxin' hate England
    We xxxxin' hate England
    We xxxxin' hate, we xxxxin' hate England
    We xxxxin' hate...." and so on ad infinitum
  • First.Aspect
    orraloon said:

I've lived in Scotland most of my adult life. I still don't understand it.

It seems to originate from a misunderstanding of history, of atrocities inflicted upon Scotland after unification. But those were largely conducted by Scottish lords, sorry lairds, on their own tenants.

It is very little Britain now, to be honest. Casting Westminster as some distant evil, when it is easier to get there by far from Glasgow than it is to get to Lerwick.

I've said it before on this forum, but the SNP are basically racists.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

orraloon said:

I've lived in Scotland most of my adult life. I still don't understand it.

It seems to originate from a misunderstanding of history, of atrocities inflicted upon Scotland after unification. But those were largely conducted by Scottish lords, sorry lairds, on their own tenants.

It is very little Britain now, to be honest. Casting Westminster as some distant evil, when it is easier to get there by far from Glasgow than it is to get to Lerwick.

I've said it before on this forum, but the SNP are basically racists.
    👆
    What he says, in spades.
  • rick_chasey
    I hope you can see the parallels between Sturgeon and BoJo, short.

• First.Aspect

Yes. I called her a populist. He has more actual policies though.
  • orraloon said:

Yes, I was born there, but I don't feel English, or British, or European, or whatever. I have a long standing aversion to that "my gang is better than your gang" mentality, on which the whole of the political system is based.
  • rick_chasey

You recon?
  • First.Aspect

You recon?
    Yes. Absolutely. It is a race to the bottom though.