48x32 chainset?

My road bike came with a 52x36 chainset with a 30 cassette.

Ideally I'd like lower gears for riding in the hills over the summer.

My preferred set up would be a 50x34 with a 34 cassette. But that would require changing the chain rings (or chainset), the rear derailleur and chain.

Looking on the net, it seems to imply I could just replace the 52x36 rings with a 48x32 set-up and shorten the chain.

It would be good know if people think this would work. It's a bit unconventional. TIA

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Assuming you have a 110bcd chainset, then 34 is probably the lowest you can go. You could try an MTB chainset with a smaller bcd, which may give you more low options, but you may then struggle with finding an appropriate outer ring..
  • andyealing
    andyealing Posts: 34
    I should add I have a Cannondale One chainset with FSA rings.
  • I would go for a 34 cassette first and see what the gears are like , then look at the chainset, easy change.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Praxis Works do their Alba chainset with 48/32 rings https://praxiscycles.com/product/alba/
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    They will fit the OP's crank arm, but is he going to be able to drop the FD down low enough for it to work, if it is a braze-on FD, and will the FD work with that combination?
  • dj58
    They will fit the OP's crank arm, but is he going to be able to drop the FD down low enough for it to work, if it is a braze-on FD, and will the FD work with that combination?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited May 2021
    dj58 said:

Good point, even a 48/32 may not work with the FD. I'm with the other posters, look to have a bigger cassette instead.
  • dj58
    On the other hand, OP says he would like a 1:1 ratio, however his lowest gear is a 30T which may suggest the RD is a SS model, which may work with a 32T, though not a 34T without a wolf link derailluer extender. Cannot see a 48/32T combination of spiderings on the connondale website, they don't appear to offer that combination on their gravel bike range?