saturday renormalising the thirteen infinities of the quantum pineapple

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,348
    You see how fit they are Elbow - they are so fit, they can sit on the wall.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    pinno said:

You see how fit they are Elbow - they are so fit, they can sit on the wall.

Yay, spiderdogs.

Anyone remember this little practical joke?

https://youtu.be/YoB8t0B4jx4
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    MattFalle said:

More info on hot wax though would be v gratefully received

Been doing one of my chains (road bike) with the 'oz style' wax mix from last summer and now part way through the winter, re-lube every 200 miles. So far I'm 100% impressed with the results, chain wear, mess, overall time it takes are all winners. I started off the intention of giving it a years trial. At this rate I'll be converting all my other bikes to this method as they need new chains. image
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

Got some hair that needs removing?

https://www.boots.com/toiletries/skincare-female-hair-removal/wax-strips
    Nah - Veet it dude.

Waxy Becka used to hot wax me but even after 3 years of it it friggin' hurt, so never again.

Now, hot candle wax on certain bits..... thats another thread altogether.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207

MattFalle said:

Been doing one of my chains (road bike) with the 'oz style' wax mix from last summer and now part way through the winter, re-lube every 200 miles. So far I'm 100% impressed with the results, chain wear, mess, overall time it takes are all winners. I started off the intention of giving it a years trial. At this rate I'll be converting all my other bikes to this method as they need new chains. image
    I tried it on my winter bike for a bit but just couldn't get on with it. Didn't stand up well to commuting and sitting wet throughout the day in the work bike racks. Reverted back to white lightning wet lube for that bike but just being religious about removing excess and cleaning weekly to prevent issues with mess.

The dry bike though, works an absolute treat. Absolute convert. Like you I re-wax it every 200 miles. Whip the chain off, pour boiling water over it and wipe down, stick in melted wax in the slow cooker for 15 mins or so, take out and leave to dry, loosen it up a bit and pop back on the bike.
  • MattFalle
    What stuff do you use dude?
  • MattFalle
    For a turbo bike this could be a winner.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Hmmm, might have to investigate this wax malarkey further, but not for bikes used in wet wintery conditions then. Tried Squirt as Piña recommended which was great in summer but didn't cope well with winter commuting. I reverted to wet lube but come the imminent spring clean up I'll replace the chain and go back to it.
    Spider dogs cracked me up without having to press play, remember it well.
  • nibnob21
    Refined paraffin wax. You can get it in bead form on eBay and the like. For extra lube then add some very fine teflon powder but not essential, especially if you're just using on the turbo.

Most important thing is starting with an absolutely spotless sterile chain so the first application of wax holds properly.

Just Google 'oz cycle' and see his YouTube vids, explains it all there. If you like bike geekery then it's very interesting, may be a bit ott for some people though.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    nibnob21 said:

MattFalle said:

I tried it on my winter bike for a bit but just couldn't get on with it. Didn't stand up well to commuting and sitting wet throughout the day in the work bike racks. Reverted back to white lightning wet lube for that bike but just being religious about removing excess and cleaning weekly to prevent issues with mess.
    Interesting, I wasn’t sure about winter conditions here in the UK. The Utube videos in oz are nearly always sunny and dry. I wait until the chain is dry then simply wipe with a soft dry brush to remove any grit or dirt. If the chain doesn’t dry I squirt with COLD water (not pressure wash) but don’t touch it, same as when washing the bike. This seems to work fine.

I did have a couple of side plates show a little rust colour once, but now (winter time) I use the MTB method after re-lubing, that is to say, I don’t wipe the excess wax off. Leaving a thick layer on the outer plates to protect against salt n rain and the like. So far so good.
  • nibnob21
    To be fair the chain I tried the wax on for winter wasn't as well prepared as it could have been. But even using a decent wax based lube became more hassle than it was worth over winter, and despite being very religious with keeping it clean etc the chain still wore out quickly. This was on an old 5 speed though so the chain was far less refined in its construction compared to modern stuff, so the additional movement and slack in the chain may not have helped things.

On the modern summer bike though, fantastic. Wouldn't go back now. A year on and the chain and cassette still look brand new.

...anyway, this isn't really BB chat so it may deserve a thread of its own somewhere else.
  • MattFalle
    nibnob21 said:

To be fair the chain I tried the wax on for winter wasn't as well prepared as it could have been. But even using a decent wax based lube became more hassle than it was worth over winter, and despite being very religious with keeping it clean etc the chain still wore out quickly. This was on an old 5 speed though so the chain was far less refined in its construction compared to modern stuff, so the additional movement and slack in the chain may not have helped things.

On the modern summer bike though, fantastic. Wouldn't go back now. A year on and the chain and cassette still look brand new.

...anyway, this isn't really BB chat so it may deserve a thread of its own somewhere else.

incorrect - this is BB chat. BB is a haven of knowledge.
  • nibnob21
    In which case I'll settle myself in!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    MattFalle said:

starting c. a year ago i tried the old* ufo wax lube (dries completely dry like hot-dip wax)

through the summer it was great and even after a few weeks in lanzarote that usually leave the drivetrain coated in lava sludge things were still amazingly clean

for the soggy months i've switched back to the rocknroll gold chains, probably start the waxy ones again april-ish

indoors you'll probably find bits of excess wax being shed, assuming your turbo isn't on carpet that's no big deal

lot of comparison data here...

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Key-Learnings-from-Lubricant-Testing-Round-1.pdf

* there's a new version reportedly easier to apply and longer lasting, not tried it yet, the original version really needed the chain to be warm (it also needed decanting into a better bottle as the supplied one had a poor spout and didn't seal well either)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MattFalle
    nibnob21 said:

In which case I'll settle myself in!

so long as you are nice, then coolio.

#don'tbeadick
  • MattFalle
    sungod said:

MattFalle said:

starting c. a year ago i tried the old* ufo wax lube (dries completely dry like hot-dip wax)

through the summer it was great and even after a few weeks in lanzarote that usually leave the drivetrain coated in lava sludge things were still amazingly clean

for the soggy months i've switched back to the rocknroll gold chains, probably start the waxy ones again april-ish

indoors you'll probably find bits of excess wax being shed, assuming your turbo isn't on carpet that's no big deal

lot of comparison data here...

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Key-Learnings-from-Lubricant-Testing-Round-1.pdf

* there's a new version reportedly easier to apply and longer lasting, not tried it yet, the original version really needed the chain to be warm (it also needed decanting into a better bottle as the supplied one had a poor spout and didn't seal well either)
    grazie!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I only use lard on my chain.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Picked up some ebay bargain garden furniture from Hackbridge. One of those cube things with 4 chairs that slot into the space underneath when not in use.

Took dog and mini to V68's favourite stretch of muddy woodland, observed the same lack of golfists. Bought a sausage roll for me and a brownie for her. Hosed down the filthy mutt.

Went waitrose, got daffs for Mrs H³ from the kids. Wrapped up the present she wanted. Helped mini make a card. Got an embarrassing one for the boy to give his mother as he'll have forgotten.
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

I've got some green stuff I use at the moment. White lightning is it? Leaves hardly any gunky crap, doesn't squeak, lasts long enough in the wet, quick gt85 of the chain,.and a rub down then reapply every so often. Mind you, I've not done too much riding this last year.
  • nibnob21
    Ordered a new bike, wasn't asked at checkout if I was too heavy for it. Good job I'm a skinny bar steward and it's not a Giant.

Might even get delivered this side of Christmas :o
  • hopkinb
    oxoman said:

Looks like our friendly admin abuser is back it would seem.

Jeebus, who is that? Is it the shimano guy who posted some random shyte at 5 a.m. after a few hours hitting the pipe? Or that fantasist that Imposter always liked a ding dong with? Or someone different?
  • pinno
    sungod said:

I did do the hot wax + paraffin dip (but no Teflon) and it was fine until there was a wet day.
    I liked the way the dirt fell off the chain when you cleaned it by dipping in the wax.

Because of damp conditions, I switched to Squirt*. You simply have to allow to the transmission to dry and then re-lube, leave overnight after a wet ride.

*However, I got some UFO drip (way below RRP). The newer version SG.
    It's highly temperature sensitive i'e, it will come out like porage unless the ambient temp is quite high. To guarantee the consistency, it needs to be above 23 deg c. I actually put the tub in a bain marie. They do say that isn't so important but you can't even get it clean out of the nozzle - seems to be the runny participle only.

You're supposed to only puncture the seal in the centre with the nozzle and not remove it.

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    elbowloh said:

Beef dripping is where it’s at
  • sungod
    pinno said:

...However, I got some UFO drip (way below RRP). The newer version SG.
    It's highly temperature sensitive i'e, it will come out like porage unless the ambient temp is quite high. To guarantee the consistency, it needs to be above 23 deg c. I actually put the tub in a bain marie. They do say that isn't so important but you can't even get it clean out of the nozzle - seems to be the runny participle only.

You're supposed to only puncture the seal in the centre with the nozzle and not remove it.

hmm, sounds much like the original one

with new chains i dry them in the oven after cleaning then put the ufo on while still warm

once on the bike, in the uk i generally had to use a heat gun to warm up the chain etc., otherwise it just set on the outside, but in warmer climes it was ok

the nozzle cap on the old one isn't a tight seal, it leaks, certainly useless for travel, but even when stationary people were reporting the solvent evaporating, hence the decanting - the solvents in ufo mess up some plastics, need to use the same type as the ufo bottle

which reminds me, i need to search out mine, no idea where i left it, just looked in the two 'obvious' places and it's not there
  • sungod
    oxoman said:

Don't know, have asked him to be nice either way. Don't think its worked though as he's started spamming other peoples posts with his rant

he does seem rather sad and fragile

br hasn't had decent moderation for years, tbh it's surprising there isn't more such drivel
  • pinno
    sungod said:

pinno said:

...However, I got some UFO drip (way below RRP). The newer version SG.

hmm, sounds much like the original one

with new chains i dry them in the oven after cleaning then put the ufo on while still warm

once on the bike, in the uk i generally had to use a heat gun to warm up the chain etc., otherwise it just set on the outside, but in warmer climes it was ok

the nozzle cap on the old one isn't a tight seal, it leaks, certainly useless for travel, but even when stationary people were reporting the solvent evaporating, hence the decanting - the solvents in ufo mess up some plastics, need to use the same type as the ufo bottle

which reminds me, i need to search out mine, no idea where i left it, just looked in the two 'obvious' places and it's not there
    If I have already spilt some of the solvent, i've already wasted x amount.

Having to heat it up is a faff, which in Jockland would be... 51 weeks a year.

Can't believe you used a blow torch.

Haven't used it yet, so whether this is worth the bother over Squirt remains to be seen.
  • sungod
    pinno said:

Can't believe you used a blow torch.

electric heat gun, set to 'warm'
  • MattFalle
    errrr - whats going on around here today mecs?

first the mental TT'er then that woman and her Bianci with all her issues.

This is madder than a bag full of MFs....
  • sungod
    MattFalle said:

errrr - whats going on around here today mecs?

first the mental TT'er then that woman and her Bianci with all her issues.

This is madder than a bag full of MFs....

lockdown lunacy, the feeble minded are starting to crack

lack of moral fibre, send 'em to the jungle to get a sense of perspective
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    No seen the Bianchi wumman. Linky?

Anthony R Brown is a belter though.