Bianchi Oltre XR4 (trying to keep moving on, literally and metaphorically, when bereaved)

MrsR
MrsR Posts: 81
edited March 2021 in Road buying advice
Having only ever owned one road bike (a very old Bianchi Veloce 928), I am now looking at upgrading and wondered if anyone had any experience with the above bike? I see they come with either Dura Ace or the Ultegra Di2 set up. I am not a big build (am an endurance runner) so am after a light and fast bike with discs and have enjoyed the Bianchi experience. Bikes seem to have come on a long way since I bought mine in the noughties and I don't expect I will be buying another one for a long time (if at all, as I am mostly a runner who rides).

Also, when I look for distributors, it seems they are largely out of stock. If you could advise how to go about trying to find one to trial and purchase I would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Hi and welcome.

A lot of people seem to have bought bikes over the past 12 months or so, and availability is a real issue. To begin with it reduced the numbers of deals you could find, then even list prices seemed to start to creep up a bit, and now it's a challenge to find a bike in the right size - let alone the specific spec or colour that you want.

If you want a specific spec bike, then you could try contacting Bianchi and asking them if they know of anyone with stock.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    @dish_dash does.
  • s2_dpd
    s2_dpd Posts: 46
    It's a premium bike and priced that way both fully built and frame only. Start Cycles in Newcastle have XR3 and XR4s in stock sized 53.

Oltre is quite and aggressive front end, and needs lots of set-up for the cockpit when using the steerer/stem with internal cable routing. A mate has one but his back is troubling him so he's looking to swap out.

Another cheaper option to consider is the Infinito CV, slightly more relaxed for long spells on the saddle but still light/quick. I bought my Infinito CV frame from Start last spring before the pricing/availability madness began.
  • MrsR
    Thanks for the welcome and tip singleton. I have sent Bianchi a message.

Appreciate the insights ss2_dpd.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Where are you based Northern Ride in Malton usually have quite a lot of Bianchi’s in stock.
  • MrsR
    edited March 2021
    webboo said:

Where are you based Northern Ride in Malton usually have quite a lot of Bianchi’s in stock.

I'm a softy southerner sadly. Too far for Malton but appreciate the steer.
    (Alliteration not intentional)

Edited: Just sent them an enquiry in case they can work magic.
    Edited again: They replied and have stock as you suggested! Am in communication with them. :)
    Edited yet again: Bike ordered. Mr R managed to chat to the Bianchi UK central distributor who confirmed that if our local distributor placed an order, they could arrange this from Italy. It turns out the availability Northern Ride has is due to the fact they order direct from Italy. So bike is on order with my local shop where I will head to for a fitting when I collect. Many thanks for the response. Very excited.

• brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited March 2021
    Enjoy. They’re great bikes. They do have a very aggressive geo, relative to most other ‘off the shelf’ manufacturer’s frames, and it does take a while to adjust to it, if you’re not used to it. However, they are well worth the effort. I went for the V4 Campag Super record EPS 12 speed Groupset, which really compliments the rest of the bike.
  • MrsR
    Thanks for the advice @brundonbianchi :) Just had a peek at your steer which looks even more amazing. I ended up going for the Ultegra Di2 with disc brakes which will be a huge step up from my current (only!) bike. I'm guessing that in terms of comfort, good fit and core strength is important. Hoping the bike shop can help with the first element and as an endurance runner, the second is covered. Will monitor it and build up time in the (Fiziik) saddle. My husband suffers from back pain on rides but I suspect it is due to weakness and a longer torso (longer levers needing more relative strength to maintain form over time).
  • Thanks for the advice @brundonbianchi :) Just had a peek at your steer which looks even more amazing. I ended up going for the Ultegra Di2 with disc brakes which will be a huge step up from my current (only!) bike. I'm guessing that in terms of comfort, good fit and core strength is important. Hoping the bike shop can help with the first element and as an endurance runner, the second is covered. Will monitor it and build up time in the (Fiziik) saddle. My husband suffers from back pain on rides but I suspect it is due to weakness and a longer torso (longer levers needing more relative strength to maintain form over time).

Yep, that’s all spot on.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Apparently very easy to adjust the geometry to suit whichever ride you're planning, too.
  • MrsR
    Thanks for the tip @gethinceri :) I will ask the bike shop about this when I collect it.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    They will look at you quizzically, as if to say, "where on earth did you get that idea?"
  • MrsR
    edited March 2021

They will look at you quizzically, as if to say, "where on earth did you get that idea?"

:) Then what do I say?!

On another note, is anyone able to advise on the relative merits of the Vittoria Rubino Pro Graphene tyres that come as standard on the Bianchi Oltre XR4? I saw a recommendation for the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres and they seem to have much better reviews. I am contemplating whether it is worth asking the bike shop to switch them as part of the build.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The Rubino pro are the only tyre I use on my Felt. I love them.

I've tried many others, but not found I like better for all round performance (including puncture resistance).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • webboo

On another note, is anyone able to advise on the relative merits of the Vittoria Rubino Pro Graphene tyres that come as standard on the Bianchi Oltre XR4? I saw a recommendation for the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres and they seem to have much better reviews. I am contemplating whether it is worth asking the bike shop to switch them as part of the build.
    It a dig at Banchimuncher who’s bike to some appears the wrong size, too small. However he claims he alters the set up depending on the type of ride he’s doing.
    (He has a lot of spacers under the stem and the seat pin seems at its maximum height.)
  • MrsR
    webboo said:

It a dig at Banchimuncher who’s bike to some appears the wrong size, too small. However he claims he alters the set up depending on the type of ride he’s doing.
    (He has a lot of spacers under the stem and the seat pin seems at its maximum height.)
    Oh, is @gethinceri not being helpful after all?

Thank you for pointing out that my thread is being used for someone else's personal amusement @webboo Some people never fail to disappoint on social media. Maybe I should stop asking for advice here after all. I'm only trying to cheer myself up following my mum's funeral this week but I'm not really up for trying to decipher personal jokes.

• MrsR
    elbowloh said:

I've tried many others, but not found I like better for all round performance (including puncture resistance).

elbowloh said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence @elbowloh :)
  • webboo
    edited March 2021
    Brundonbianchi was milemuncher but got banned for being abusive amongst other things. He rode a Btwin in those days which he claimed was the best thing since sliced bread.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

webboo said:

Thank you for pointing out that my thread is being used for someone else's personal amusement @webboo Some people never fail to disappoint on social media. Maybe I should stop asking for advice here after all. I'm only trying to cheer myself up following my mum's funeral this week but I'm not really up for trying to decipher personal jokes.

It's just that brudonbianchi has a reputation for giving duff advice, so you may want to get a second opinion. For sure however you cannot just keep changing the setup depending on what type of ride you intend to do that day.... particularly if youve already cut a steerer tube or seat post (for some bikes).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MrsR
    elbowloh said:

webboo said:

It's just that brudonbianchi has a reputation for giving duff advice, so you may want to get a second opinion. For sure however you cannot just keep changing the setup depending on what type of ride you intend to do that day.... particularly if youve already cut a steerer tube or seat post (for some bikes).
    I don't think anyone said anything about changing the set up until @gethinceri suggested it though. I rather feel I have been used for people to have digs at each other based on historic disagreements.

Well, I doubt I will do anything other than ride it once it is adjusted by the bike shop. I've ridden the same bike in the same setting for 15 years.

Thank you for clarifying the matter.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's a superb bike and you'll thoroughhly enjoy it.

Tyres are a personal thing - i have gp4000s II on one bike and schwalbe ultremo on the other and have never really suffered with punctures.
  • webboo
    You might struggle get gp4000s as they don’t make them anymore.
  • They will look at you quizzically, as if to say, "where on earth did you get that idea?"

Probably someone with lots of experience of the particular bike, and that very clever headset, would be my guess.
  • brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited March 2021

As someone with the actual bike, on those tyres, I can confirm that they are very good, however, if you ride on poor surfaces, they can be a little bit fragile. They are still better than the Continental numbers though. The Michelins are very good as well.
  • elbowloh said:

webboo said:

You’ve clearly never used the Vision Metron ACR system then.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Hahahahahahahaa
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2021

I've used both, I actually prefer the Rubino's as I find they have better grip in the wet. On those cold days with wet roads we've had plenty of recently I'm definitely less confident on the Michelins.

I'd be amazed if you could tell any difference in the rolling resistance between the two.

Last punctures I had were on the Michelins although to be fair it was a huge bit of glass that basically ripped a chunk out of them.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    edited March 2021
    You lot have clearly not realised that this new member 'therobertscollection' is yet another fu*king alter ego of bianchibellend and barmuncher?
  • MrsR
    edited March 2021

You lot have clearly not realised that this new member 'therobertscollection' is yet another fu*king alter ego of bianchibellend and barmuncher?

I beg your pardon?

I have to say coming from a running background, my first impression of cycling forums is not great.

Coming here because I have been able to spend my mum's legacy on a new bike I would never otherwise contemplate buying, and then seeing this really does astonish me. Shame on you.

(edited: of the three posts I have added to this forum as a new member, this is the only one that has such incredible rudeness - trolling and swearing. An expensive once-in-a-lifetime purchase, as opposed to discussion of a component or your wellbeing, seems to have brought the worst out of some members.)
  • MrsR
    For the sensible people here, can I ask whether the width of the bars will work for me? My current bike measures 36 and I am concerned by this comment "While the Metron 5D creates a super clean front end, the trouble with integrated cockpits is if you don't like the stem length, angle or bar shape, you’re looking at an expensive bill to replace it."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-road-handlebars/