New Bike Build (never done before!)

Comments

• Looks like I can sort the groupset from Condor at the same time as the frame, only issue is the frame requires deep drop brakes so they are throwing them in as well!

So now just need some nice 50mm rims in all black (Primes would be fine but I don't like the grey graphics). Unfortunately the extra budget for the chorus rules out the cycle clinic carbons.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Farsport do all black I think.

Tbh, I have Prime blacks and you can't see the logos.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    itboffin said:

bobones said:

What size frame? Buy one of these if your size is available. I’ve just built up a 55 with 105 and it looks and rides lovely. Easily under 9kg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-1-64KG-CLR6200-Reynolds-Materials/dp/B07HHT1CG1

That frame and fork weight is over 2kg i.e. porky what did you build it up with to keep it under 9kg?
    I suppose the wheels and tyres on mine at the moment are pretty light, but nothing special other than that. Wheels are 1470g and Vitoria Corsa Speed TLR are about 220g each and no inner tubes.
  • MattFalle said:

Farsport do all black I think.

Tbh, I have Prime blacks and you can't see the logos.

I was going for some Prime blacks on ebay, but lost out. The normal primes (VR3 I think) have the grey decals that I'm not sure can be removed.
  • MattFalle
    Ooooh - not sure about them, but tbh just go for the blacks direct from Wiggle so you get your warranty and everything.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304

Looks like I can sort the groupset from Condor at the same time as the frame, only issue is the frame requires deep drop brakes so they are throwing them in as well!

So now just need some nice 50mm rims in all black (Primes would be fine but I don't like the grey graphics). Unfortunately the extra budget for the chorus rules out the cycle clinic carbons.

Just bought a set of the Primes (v3?) the graphics are just stickers which peel off no bother if that's all that's putting you off.
    They aren't the lightest set of 50mm carbon wheels you can get but a saving of ~100g will probably cost you an extra £300 or so, maybe less from China but the last set I specced up from LightBicycle were coming in more expensive than the Primes by the time you put on shipping and tax.

Apart from being a little heavier than some they seem pretty good so far.
  • Update -

Fratello frame in the light blue ordered, along with Chorus groupset and Deda finishing kit.

Managed to bag some Miche SWR wheels nearly new for £600, so pretty chuffed.

Thanks to all who offered advice, hopefully everything will be here by the end of the month ready for me to feck it all up!

I'm sure I'll be posting again with stupid questions when I cant do something simple, and hope to put some pics up too

Thanks again all.
  • MattFalle
    GET IN MY SON!

Top work.

Keep us updated here so we can live our lives vicariously through you.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Sounds like it will be a nice bike. Good luck with the build. Let us know if you have any more questions...

Oh, have you thought about what tools you might need?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Cheers Elbowoh and the MFs, I reckon I have most of what I need from messing around with my current rides (torque wrench, chain whip, various spanners, hex/Allen keys, wire cutters etc) and have changed a few bits, but never done a full build, and the BB will definitely be a new adventure, but one to look forward to I'm sure.

Rather excited.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Were excited. Can we come over and watch it take shape. And shout advice.
  • Were excited. Can we come over and watch it take shape. And shout advice.

Probably be more like watch me get it wrong, I'll sit down open a beer and let y'all crack on....
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Is it a regular English BSA BB? Do you have a BB tool?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Yeah, English BSA, was planning on spending the time I wait for bits to turn up to work out what other tools I do need and viewing a lot of videos.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Were excited. Can we come over and watch it take shape. And shout advice.

Probably be more like watch me get it wrong, I'll sit down open a beer and let y'all crack on....
    Thats good enough for me. What's your address
  • MattFalle
    Theres an MF heading up into your loft as we speak....
  • Plenty of room for all/most of the MFs. Could be handy for build advice. Or, as per earlier post, to crack on whilst I caress a beer.
  • MattFalle
    Sounds like an invite - grazie.

I'll them dressed and the coach fuelled up asap.

Grazie!
  • It begins! Miche wheels have arrived, looking rather nice and subtle, should suit the frame nicely, didn't go massive deep, only the 36s but plenty enough to look tidy IMO.

Just have to wait for the frame, groupset etc hopefully at the end of the month to start things properly.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Excellent, post pictures as you go.
  • Excellent - looking forward to seeing it built up. Assume it's 12 speed Chorus.

Have Condor said that they will face and chase the BB for you? I've just got a steel frame off them and although the BB was faced it hadn't been chased and needed doing. I have the tools for that so was easy but something you may need to think about.

Ref tools - a few that you will need for Campag builds that you may not have

A long enough 10mm hex socket for the chainset plus +40Nm torque wrench 1/2" drive is best.
    Tx20 straight driver for the bar clamps is really handy to get under the hoods to prevent rounding the alu bolts.
    12 speed missing link for chain or correct chain tool for peening the connecting pin - Park Tool ct4.3 or the very expensive Campagnolo one.

Depending on whether or not you want to do everything yourself then it's well worth investing in a bearing puller and installation tool for the chainset bearings. You likely won't need these for a good few thousand miles so one to look out for used on ebay.

Happy building!
  • Excellent - looking forward to seeing it built up. Assume it's 12 speed Chorus.

Have Condor said that they will face and chase the BB for you? I've just got a steel frame off them and although the BB was faced it hadn't been chased and needed doing. I have the tools for that so was easy but something you may need to think about.

Ref tools - a few that you will need for Campag builds that you may not have

A long enough 10mm hex socket for the chainset plus +40Nm torque wrench 1/2" drive is best.
    Tx20 straight driver for the bar clamps is really handy to get under the hoods to prevent rounding the alu bolts.
    12 speed missing link for chain or correct chain tool for peening the connecting pin - Park Tool ct4.3 or the very expensive Campagnolo one.

Depending on whether or not you want to do everything yourself then it's well worth investing in a bearing puller and installation tool for the chainset bearings. You likely won't need these for a good few thousand miles so one to look out for used on ebay.

Happy building!

This is brilliant advice thank you!

Correct, I am going twelve speed chorus, so although the plan was to do the complete build myself, I've asked them to fit the BB for me as I thought it might be a good idea as I don't have the tools I think I'd need.

Everything else shall be by my own fair hand, so the heads up on the hex socket and straight driver is definitely useful (already got a suitable driver I think)

Also, I was aware of the chain requirements and had been searching out the 4.3 Park tool, it seems suitable but discontinued but think I found one rather than splashing out on the campag one, glad to hear it's the right bit of kit.

Thanks again! Very useful.

• domdom1980
    domdom1980 Posts: 79
    Just thought I'd stick an update on here about this. Unfortunately very slow progress! All I have are the wheels, stem and saddle! I've now been waiting 2 months for the frame, bars and gear set, apparently all caused by delays from campagnolo. Keep getting told it is coming, but still not arrived.... Slightly frustrated, but as the weather is sh*te its not so bad.

Last thing not purchased for when stuff actually turns up is pedals, I have shimano on my main bike, so would make sense to stay shimano, but as everything on the new build is Italian, I kinda fancy campag pedals too... Does mean a new pair of shoes though...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Just thought I'd stick an update on here about this. Unfortunately very slow progress! All I have are the wheels, stem and saddle! I've now been waiting 2 months for the frame, bars and gear set, apparently all caused by delays from campagnolo. Keep getting told it is coming, but still not arrived.... Slightly frustrated, but as the weather is sh*te its not so bad.

Last thing not purchased for when stuff actually turns up is pedals, I have shimano on my main bike, so would make sense to stay shimano, but as everything on the new build is Italian, I kinda fancy campag pedals too... Does mean a new pair of shoes though...

Quite right.
    A bike with a Campagnolo group set should never have anything shimano any where near it.
  • domdom1980

Finally got the frame and groupset from Condor and have started the build!

Obviously nowhere near finished, but damn pleased with the frame etc, it's cracking.

Next job is to cut down the steerer tube, all videos recommend a tool for this, is it best to get one?
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021
    some people swear by a pipe cutter, I'm sure there is a special pro bicycle mechanic pro pro tool out there that there club mechanic uses but I've always used measure 4 times and a Dremel with a b'strd file to take off the burrs.

Hacksaw with new blade also works absolutely perfectly.

if Dremel/hacksaw, mark on steerer where you want to cut, get an old stem, clamp at desired height, use it as cutting guide.

By the way - if carbon steerer no need for masks and goggles and breathing apparatus as I'm sure some people will pop in and say: just don't lick the thing or rub it in your eyes. if you want to, do it outside with the wind behind you. Hold your breath whilst doing it if you're really worried.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think you would be better of with one that isn't cracking. :)
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021
  • domdom1980
    I did see some fella use a hose clip as a guide which I thought was fairly nifty, but old stem seems a jolly good idea too.

Not carbon though, I think it is aluminium so not gonna die from carbon inhalation.
  • MattFalle
    jubilee clip does the same.

yeah, cut away - it'll be fine. tbh, you have to be doing sometime utterly ridiculously stupid to even get any particles close to your face no matter what material the steerer is.

you can also use a star nut in your ali steerer so a lit less hassle than bungs.