Things that don't stand the test of time

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

elbowloh said:

Yeah I've moved beyond laptops and life is better as a result.

Work windows laptop, rest of my life on ipads or iphones.

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

lol honestly, what's the difference between a laptop and a decent i pad with a keyboard?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

lol honestly, what's the difference between a laptop and a decent i pad with a keyboard?
    Full versions of productivity programs.

Believe me, I like lightweight computing and am a heavy adopter of cloud first but sometimes you just need windows.

But yes, 90% of what I do can be done on tablet (either breed).

I think Apple works if you buy into the whole ecosystem and apples preferred methodology. I fully see its place in the world but I personally find it quite restrictive in how it can be used. I can automate a heck of a lot more on android than on ios. IFTT and shortcuts have nowhere near the scope of what is possible on android or windows.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

Windows stuff is designed to do things, Apple stuff is designed not to do things.

You can do these things on Apple, you just have to use a different method.
    You don't like the method, fine. Use Windows.
    No I can't. As far as I know. Eg the text messages. Plenty of people on here could probably write the code to export my text messages to a text file. It would probably take them 5 minutes. But on an iphone you can't do it. Or at least I couldn't find out how. I would be absolutely delighted if you can prove to me that I'm wrong. Even if it implies that I'm an incompetent idiot in public!

I can't even synch photos effectively. Of course those are the only files that show up normally when I connect the phone to the pc. The synch app on the pc can see the photos on the phone but not actually move them across. I can copy and paste manually but despite trying with two iphones and two entirely different computers, it falls over continuously so a large synchronisation takes tens of minutes of copy, paste, recopy, repaste. If that is the method then I think that anyone with even low expectations would think the method is crap.
    rjsterry said:

rolf_f said:

I have to say, I am a bit befuddled when people get annoyed at apple for doing things an apple wasn't designed to do.

It's a bit like complaining your track bike is rubbish on gravel roads. Fine, then don't buy a track bike.

No, it's a bit like complaining your road bike doesn't have brakes because Apple decided that you had scrape your feet on the ground to stop. The point about Windows stuff is it is designed to allow you to do anything whereas with Apple the blindingly obvious things you might want to do turn out to be things that Apple won't let you do for absolutely no logical reason.
    pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

I knew what had happened as soon as the incident was reported. I once, through work, visited a turbine manufacturer in Leeds. They said you got exactly the same model of turbine blades on HEP sites in Alaska as you did on aircraft turbines. The only difference was that the best quality ones went to the power stations - because those had to run every day, largely unattended for 6 months at a time whereas the aircraft engines were being checked and overhauled all the time. Well, nearly all the time.......

That's a big ol fan blade. There wouldn't be one on an industrial gas turbine as it produces no thrust.

Conversation was over 20 years ago and I can't be relied on for the fine detail but the gist of the message was straightforward enough. I guess we'll soon find out that either the blade was faulty or it hadn't been maintained correctly.

iPhone. Work issue; can't use the cloud. Can't reactivate my Appleid because although I can access my account on a PC Apple requires you to use another Apple device which obviously I don't have. I have a stack of text messages I need to get off the phone which even Apple don't know will be recoverable if I reset the phone completely. Any other device would allow you to export the texts as a word document but all I've achieved so far is to screen shot each one; madness. iTunes is utter censored and any attempt to synchronise images falls over repeatedly despite trying on different computers with different OS. Probably fine if you are able to do things in the one, precise way that Apple want you to do it but if for any reason you can't, they do everything they can to make alternative approaches fail.
    As I see it, if a company treats me with contempt I won't want to use their products. It's an odd business model for Apple but they seem to get away with it. The IT support staff hate them too.

So, your work IT people issue you with an IPhone, with 2 factor authentication enabled, and iCloud *disabled*, without checking if you have another device to use for that 2 factor check, nor whether iOS really works great without the cloud function enabled and then somehow blame Apple as it’s their fault?

Really?
    Yeah, they are called Defra. But really, why should I have to use another devcice when I can log into my Apple account on my PC? So yes, it is Apples fault. Oh, and the AppleiD fell over due to an update - the IT folk have a lot of problem with iOS updates going wrong. I think that is probably Apples fault too.

I just find the company poor. For example, when I was touring in Norway my mate had an iPad for us to write our blog on. We downloaded photos onto the iPad which was fine for a while but we ran out of space on Photobucket. So we had to store photos on the tablet. But then we ran out of space on the tablet so we decided to upload the photos back onto a spare SD card. But, either nobody in Apple had thought that anyone might want to move data off the tablet (because who would want to do such a crazy wackaday thing?) or they deliberately decided to ban us from doing it because they are bastards. Of course, Apple had a solution; to put the photos on the cloud. But you try that somewhere between Tromso and the North Cape. Any other tablet would have allowed the data to go both ways. What on earth is the harm in that.

Wrong tools for the job.
    That is a prime example of why I use a laptop instead of a pad of any description.
    What tool would you recommend for writing blog entries whilst on a biking tour. Aside from a non-Apple tablet (lesson learned the hard way)

I must be missing something. You had mobile Internet access to upload to Photo bucket and post blogs, but somehow you couldn't upload to iCloud?
    Occasional Wifi at cafes. Fine for blog uploads, not fine for bulk file handling.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    edited February 2021
    rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

Windows stuff is designed to do things, Apple stuff is designed not to do things.

No I can't. As far as I know. Eg the text messages. Plenty of people on here could probably write the code to export my text messages to a text file. It would probably take them 5 minutes. But on an iphone you can't do it. Or at least I couldn't find out how. I would be absolutely delighted if you can prove to me that I'm wrong. Even if it implies that I'm an incompetent idiot in public!

I can't even synch photos effectively. Of course those are the only files that show up normally when I connect the phone to the pc. The synch app on the pc can see the photos on the phone but not actually move them across. I can copy and paste manually but despite trying with two iphones and two entirely different computers, it falls over continuously so a large synchronisation takes tens of minutes of copy, paste, recopy, repaste. If that is the method then I think that anyone with even low expectations would think the method is censored .
    rjsterry said:

rolf_f said:

I have to say, I am a bit befuddled when people get annoyed at apple for doing things an apple wasn't designed to do.

It's a bit like complaining your track bike is rubbish on gravel roads. Fine, then don't buy a track bike.

No, it's a bit like complaining your road bike doesn't have brakes because Apple decided that you had scrape your feet on the ground to stop. The point about Windows stuff is it is designed to allow you to do anything whereas with Apple the blindingly obvious things you might want to do turn out to be things that Apple won't let you do for absolutely no logical reason.
    pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

I knew what had happened as soon as the incident was reported. I once, through work, visited a turbine manufacturer in Leeds. They said you got exactly the same model of turbine blades on HEP sites in Alaska as you did on aircraft turbines. The only difference was that the best quality ones went to the power stations - because those had to run every day, largely unattended for 6 months at a time whereas the aircraft engines were being checked and overhauled all the time. Well, nearly all the time.......

That's a big ol fan blade. There wouldn't be one on an industrial gas turbine as it produces no thrust.

Conversation was over 20 years ago and I can't be relied on for the fine detail but the gist of the message was straightforward enough. I guess we'll soon find out that either the blade was faulty or it hadn't been maintained correctly.

iPhone. Work issue; can't use the cloud. Can't reactivate my Appleid because although I can access my account on a PC Apple requires you to use another Apple device which obviously I don't have. I have a stack of text messages I need to get off the phone which even Apple don't know will be recoverable if I reset the phone completely. Any other device would allow you to export the texts as a word document but all I've achieved so far is to screen shot each one; madness. iTunes is utter censored and any attempt to synchronise images falls over repeatedly despite trying on different computers with different OS. Probably fine if you are able to do things in the one, precise way that Apple want you to do it but if for any reason you can't, they do everything they can to make alternative approaches fail.
    As I see it, if a company treats me with contempt I won't want to use their products. It's an odd business model for Apple but they seem to get away with it. The IT support staff hate them too.

So, your work IT people issue you with an IPhone, with 2 factor authentication enabled, and iCloud *disabled*, without checking if you have another device to use for that 2 factor check, nor whether iOS really works great without the cloud function enabled and then somehow blame Apple as it’s their fault?

Really?
    Yeah, they are called Defra. But really, why should I have to use another devcice when I can log into my Apple account on my PC? So yes, it is Apples fault. Oh, and the AppleiD fell over due to an update - the IT folk have a lot of problem with iOS updates going wrong. I think that is probably Apples fault too.

I just find the company poor. For example, when I was touring in Norway my mate had an iPad for us to write our blog on. We downloaded photos onto the iPad which was fine for a while but we ran out of space on Photobucket. So we had to store photos on the tablet. But then we ran out of space on the tablet so we decided to upload the photos back onto a spare SD card. But, either nobody in Apple had thought that anyone might want to move data off the tablet (because who would want to do such a crazy wackaday thing?) or they deliberately decided to ban us from doing it because they are bastards. Of course, Apple had a solution; to put the photos on the cloud. But you try that somewhere between Tromso and the North Cape. Any other tablet would have allowed the data to go both ways. What on earth is the harm in that.

Wrong tools for the job.
    That is a prime example of why I use a laptop instead of a pad of any description.
    What tool would you recommend for writing blog entries whilst on a biking tour. Aside from a non-Apple tablet (lesson learned the hard way)

I must be missing something. You had mobile Internet access to upload to Photo bucket and post blogs, but somehow you couldn't upload to iCloud?
    Occasional Wifi at cafes. Fine for blog uploads, not fine for bulk file handling.
    A text from my wife - “ On my way now x” (Copy & paste).
    Use the Photos app and iCloud. Photos are instantly available on all devices.
    Use your phone for a hotspot connection.

All answered from my iPhone proving it can be done. Carry on ranting.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

Believe me, I like lightweight computing and am a heavy adopter of cloud first but sometimes you just need windows.

I think Apple works if you buy into the whole ecosystem and apples preferred methodology. I fully see its place in the world but I personally find it quite restrictive in how it can be used. I can automate a heck of a lot more on android than on ios. IFTT and shortcuts have nowhere near the scope of what is possible on android or windows.
    Yeah. Look I use microsoft for work but I don't know what you really need a pc for in your personal life unless it's a specific hobby.
  • So and so years time we will all be using Neuralink or similar, a brain tap straight to the internet. Imagine BR thread's then it will be instantaneous chaos!
  • pblakeney

So and so years time we will all be using Neuralink or similar, a brain tap straight to the internet. Imagine BR thread's then it will be instantaneous chaos!

Nobody wants to know what's really going on in my head! 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

Yeah. Look I use microsoft for work but I don't know what you really need a pc for in your personal life unless it's a specific hobby.
    Despite working as a consultant on MS products, I myself have not owned my own PC for several years.
    I run a virtual PC in the cloud at the moment but can’t connect my Suunto to it.

I either have to stick Suunto software on my work or family members PC’s or buy a PC for that one specific task. Mac or PC are an option but both are total overkill for the task.

Gamers are a big PC market.

Connecting devices such as watches or GPS or other whatnots are the only thing limiting me from doing everything through my chrome book.
    Even the enterprise software I work with has migrated to cloud only in the last 3 years.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    morstar said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

Even the enterprise software I work with has migrated to cloud only in the last 3 years.
    Of course all this working and learning from home has made it cloud this and cloud that.

But we are finding that it's a long, long way from platform independence.

MS Teams Classroom is by and large a fairly useful service, but trying to use Word docs online is maddening, because the online version of Word simply can't handle a lot of stuff.
    This is especially true for teaching, where we're often using layout features to try and make docs that work for kids - and yet online Word can't even handle text boxes or text wrapping round pics.

When kids get in contact, they always say something along the lines of "it's not working" - it then takes quite a lot of probing to find out what platform they're on, what they're trying to do and what happened.

And don't get me started on the appalling design of OneDrive, especially the way it decides to replace modified dates with the date uploaded...

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

I can't even synch photos effectively. Of course those are the only files that show up normally when I connect the phone to the pc. The synch app on the pc can see the photos on the phone but not actually move them across. I can copy and paste manually but despite trying with two iphones and two entirely different computers, it falls over continuously so a large synchronisation takes tens of minutes of copy, paste, recopy, repaste. If that is the method then I think that anyone with even low expectations would think the method is censored .
    rjsterry said:

rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.

A text from my wife - “ On my way now x” (Copy & paste).
    Use the Photos app and iCloud. Photos are instantly available on all devices.
    Use your phone for a hotspot connection.

All answered from my iPhone proving it can be done. Carry on ranting.
    And there was I thinking I was calmly explaining my situation!

I can copy and paste one message easily. I can't do so for the entire conversation. So how do I get my text messages off the iCloud and the ones that are not on the iCloud (because Apple bolloxd the iOS update? I don't want to download them to another device, I want to download them to a file that I can read on my computer.

Faster than a tent.......
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Please make it stop.

Surely there are other things that don't stand the test of time.

How about vinyl car seats?
  • How about iPads and tablets in general, they were meant to be the future but now when I see stats for site traffic it makes up about 5%.

I blame the revesal in the sizing of phones
  • morstar said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

Despite working as a consultant on MS products, I myself have not owned my own PC for several years.
    I run a virtual PC in the cloud at the moment but can’t connect my Suunto to it.

I either have to stick Suunto software on my work or family members PC’s or buy a PC for that one specific task. Mac or PC are an option but both are total overkill for the task.

Connecting devices such as watches or GPS or other whatnots are the only thing limiting me from doing everything through my chrome book.
    it does amaze me that they are not more popular

and £20 for a Chromecast was the best money I ever spent
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited February 2021
    Yes, vinyl! Glad to see the back of records, now it's all gone digitally compressed and it's in the iCloud.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    I don't think the third India vs England test will stand the test of time. If you blinked, you missed it.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021

How about iPads and tablets in general, they were meant to be the future but now when I see stats for site traffic it makes up about 5%.

They are glorious for train commutes.

Civ6? Yes please.

Football Manager? Yes please.

TV on an ideal sized screen? Oh yes. Easy to tether to your phone for roaming? Absolutely.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900

I don't think the third India vs England test will stand the test of time. If you blinked, you missed it.

At least I no longer need to try and fit days 4 and 5 in around the cycling this weekend 😃 Bit of a result really....
  • morstar

morstar said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

Yep, bought one for my daughter quite early on and thought they’d have ruled the world by now.
    I am far from a true power user but I am an advanced business user and can do almost everything I need to on one. My use cases for a PC are pretty niche and I bet most people buying a PC don’t actually need one.

Only as recently as 3 years ago, I needed a PC most of the time in my job. It is now about 10-20% of the time and decreasing rapidly.

It also forces me to use simple solutions that are inherently more reliable than the abominations some advanced users create with their ‘skills’.
  • How about iPads and tablets in general, they were meant to be the future but now when I see stats for site traffic it makes up about 5%.

Civ6? Yes please.

TV on an ideal sized screen? Oh yes. Easy to tether to your phone for roaming? Absolutely.
    Look around the carriage and you won't see many tablets.

I have one myself that I read on but I am telling you that on a macro level they barely register.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

morstar said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

My daughter had a Chromebook as it was what they used for school. I could never get my head around using it as I'm so used to having programmes installed on a laptop. It was fine for her school stuff but when she wanted to start recording music and doing video editing for her musical theatre college course and auditions I found it very hard to find suitable apps. She's moved to a MacBook now instead.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

morstar said:

morstar said:

elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

My daughter had a Chromebook as it was what they used for school. I could never get my head around using it as I'm so used to having programmes installed on a laptop. It was fine for her school stuff but when she wanted to start recording music and doing video editing for her musical theatre college course and auditions I found it very hard to find suitable apps. She's moved to a MacBook now instead.
    They definitely have their limitations but they are becoming less and less and will only become less so.

Microsoft are moving more and more software to a cloud model and others will follow.

Bizarrely, I work in tech and and am in the only person in the house who doesn’t have their own PC.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2021

How about iPads and tablets in general, they were meant to be the future but now when I see stats for site traffic it makes up about 5%.

Civ6? Yes please.

Look around the carriage and you won't see many tablets.

I have one myself that I read on but I am telling you that on a macro level they barely register.
    I suspect we have a different genre of carriage crowds as mine is (was) chocablock with them.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Maybe people just don't want to use them on the train?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Mary Whitehouse.

She’d sh1te a brick, if she saw modern media.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Ben6899 said:

Mary Whitehouse.

She’d sh1te a brick, if she saw modern media.

I think that was her whole point. You might disagree with her but the quality of TV we have now (or lack of) is precisely because people like her have been sidelined in the name of "progress". Overall I think she had a point.
  • rick_chasey
    Bahaha. TV has never been better what are you on about?
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2021
    Broadcast TV has had it's day.
    In our house anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Sure there's still some great programming but it's increasingly drowned out by the likes of Big Brother, soaps, Love Island and Towie.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

Sure there's still some great programming but it's increasingly drowned out by the likes of Big Brother, soaps, Love Island and Towie.

Anything with "celebs" in.

Why do loads of shows now have "celebs" as contestants where they used to have regular punters?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shortfall said:

Why would you watch anything other than news and sport as it is being broadcast? If you don't, it doesn't matter how much bad stuff there is that you don't watch.