Things that don't stand the test of time

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    elbowloh said:

One of my windows 10 laptops was bought in 2013 and is still going, albeit a bit sluggish. It was about £450 at the time

I changed the HDD drive in my sluggish old laptop to SDD, pretty easy process and works better than ever.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah, pretty easy to do. I'm comfortable with installing drives, memory and other bits and pieces in laptops/pcs. My desktop (which I no longer use) was built from scratch.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

rolf_f said:

me-109 said:

me-109 said:

Apple devices/products

On purpose?
    If 'batterygate ' is any thing to go by, yes. I've had a couple of phones and they did appear to be robust physically, but the product lifecycle seems to be artificially shortened by software and OS compatability. Or features that nobody really needs that seem to be intrinsic to the platform/OS and therefore rule out running on older devices.
    Hardware impressive, control freak software awful. I have an iphone7 which drives me nuts (currently I can't upload new apps on it because it doesn't accept my Appleid since I foolishly accepted an update and seemingly the only way to reset the Appleid is log on with "my other Apple device". But I don't have another Apple device..... An obnoxious company.

This. My wife has an iPhone and doesn't watch to change, however she wants me to back it up, download photos, manage the storage and its a sodding pain in the censored . Particularly when you don't want to use the Apple Cloud as we have everything else backed up in google drive.

Apple devices. I hate them.
    Using an iPhone without iCloud is a bit like buying a road bike and never using it on the road. Sure it will work, but not very well.
    We use the free iCloud space for some stuff, but to bck up all her photos, you're talking about paying a monthly fee. Why should we, when we already have a cloud service through google?
    ?
    I don't really understand your problem. If you use either Windows or Mac computers, you can simply choose to backup your/her phone through iTunes software direct to that device instead of being "forced" to use iCloud with the storage limit for free

Yes you have to install iTunes on the Windows machine if that's what you use, or do you not have computer at home or work otherwise? It's free software. It works fine.

- Plug in phone.
    - Sync/backup.

Simple.

Have you tried to look at/organise photos you've backed up in iTunes?

Oh and it really doesn't work fine on windows laptops. The amount of times i've had to re-install the software, re-start it and the phone just to get it to recognise that a phone is connected, re-start back-ups because it hangs part way through it ridiculous. Not just on one laptop or on one model of iPhone, but the a number of devices over the last 5 years.

Anyway, i don't really care if you understand my problem, its a problem for us!
    🤷🏼‍♂️ Keep your shirt on. Not everybody knows you can use ITunes on a Windows machine. Just trying to offer an alternative to your iCloud limit issue.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

I knew what had happened as soon as the incident was reported. I once, through work, visited a turbine manufacturer in Leeds. They said you got exactly the same model of turbine blades on HEP sites in Alaska as you did on aircraft turbines. The only difference was that the best quality ones went to the power stations - because those had to run every day, largely unattended for 6 months at a time whereas the aircraft engines were being checked and overhauled all the time. Well, nearly all the time.......

That's a big ol fan blade. There wouldn't be one on an industrial gas turbine as it produces no thrust.

Conversation was over 20 years ago and I can't be relied on for the fine detail but the gist of the message was straightforward enough. I guess we'll soon find out that either the blade was faulty or it hadn't been maintained correctly.

iPhone. Work issue; can't use the cloud. Can't reactivate my Appleid because although I can access my account on a PC Apple requires you to use another Apple device which obviously I don't have. I have a stack of text messages I need to get off the phone which even Apple don't know will be recoverable if I reset the phone completely. Any other device would allow you to export the texts as a word document but all I've achieved so far is to screen shot each one; madness. iTunes is utter censored and any attempt to synchronise images falls over repeatedly despite trying on different computers with different OS. Probably fine if you are able to do things in the one, precise way that Apple want you to do it but if for any reason you can't, they do everything they can to make alternative approaches fail.
    As I see it, if a company treats me with contempt I won't want to use their products. It's an odd business model for Apple but they seem to get away with it. The IT support staff hate them too.

So, your work IT people issue you with an IPhone, with 2 factor authentication enabled, and iCloud *disabled*, without checking if you have another device to use for that 2 factor check, nor whether iOS really works great without the cloud function enabled and then somehow blame Apple as it’s their fault?

Really?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

rolf_f said:

me-109 said:

me-109 said:

Apple devices/products

On purpose?
    If 'batterygate ' is any thing to go by, yes. I've had a couple of phones and they did appear to be robust physically, but the product lifecycle seems to be artificially shortened by software and OS compatability. Or features that nobody really needs that seem to be intrinsic to the platform/OS and therefore rule out running on older devices.
    Hardware impressive, control freak software awful. I have an iphone7 which drives me nuts (currently I can't upload new apps on it because it doesn't accept my Appleid since I foolishly accepted an update and seemingly the only way to reset the Appleid is log on with "my other Apple device". But I don't have another Apple device..... An obnoxious company.

This. My wife has an iPhone and doesn't watch to change, however she wants me to back it up, download photos, manage the storage and its a sodding pain in the censored . Particularly when you don't want to use the Apple Cloud as we have everything else backed up in google drive.

Apple devices. I hate them.
    Using an iPhone without iCloud is a bit like buying a road bike and never using it on the road. Sure it will work, but not very well.
    We use the free iCloud space for some stuff, but to bck up all her photos, you're talking about paying a monthly fee. Why should we, when we already have a cloud service through google?
    ?
    I don't really understand your problem. If you use either Windows or Mac computers, you can simply choose to backup your/her phone through iTunes software direct to that device instead of being "forced" to use iCloud with the storage limit for free

Yes you have to install iTunes on the Windows machine if that's what you use, or do you not have computer at home or work otherwise? It's free software. It works fine.

- Plug in phone.
    - Sync/backup.

Simple.

Have you tried to look at/organise photos you've backed up in iTunes?

Oh and it really doesn't work fine on windows laptops. The amount of times i've had to re-install the software, re-start it and the phone just to get it to recognise that a phone is connected, re-start back-ups because it hangs part way through it ridiculous. Not just on one laptop or on one model of iPhone, but the a number of devices over the last 5 years.

Anyway, i don't really care if you understand my problem, its a problem for us!
    I much prefer Google Photos to Apple's offering and I work on a Mac every day. It's not difficult to backup photos on an iPhone to a Google account and exclude them from iCloud. Google charge for storage as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

elbowloh said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

I knew what had happened as soon as the incident was reported. I once, through work, visited a turbine manufacturer in Leeds. They said you got exactly the same model of turbine blades on HEP sites in Alaska as you did on aircraft turbines. The only difference was that the best quality ones went to the power stations - because those had to run every day, largely unattended for 6 months at a time whereas the aircraft engines were being checked and overhauled all the time. Well, nearly all the time.......

That's a big ol fan blade. There wouldn't be one on an industrial gas turbine as it produces no thrust.

Conversation was over 20 years ago and I can't be relied on for the fine detail but the gist of the message was straightforward enough. I guess we'll soon find out that either the blade was faulty or it hadn't been maintained correctly.

iPhone. Work issue; can't use the cloud. Can't reactivate my Appleid because although I can access my account on a PC Apple requires you to use another Apple device which obviously I don't have. I have a stack of text messages I need to get off the phone which even Apple don't know will be recoverable if I reset the phone completely. Any other device would allow you to export the texts as a word document but all I've achieved so far is to screen shot each one; madness. iTunes is utter censored and any attempt to synchronise images falls over repeatedly despite trying on different computers with different OS. Probably fine if you are able to do things in the one, precise way that Apple want you to do it but if for any reason you can't, they do everything they can to make alternative approaches fail.
    As I see it, if a company treats me with contempt I won't want to use their products. It's an odd business model for Apple but they seem to get away with it. The IT support staff hate them too.

This.

a'holes.

This is exactly what winds me up about Apple. Their "it just works" bull is only just about true (until it doesn't) expressly because, unlike Windows and Android, they've booby-trapped the bonnet release catch, and they are the only ones with the code, so you have to go back to them to fix anything. And then they go "Whaaa, told you so, Windows/Android breaks!!". Well, yes, it does, from time to time, but that's because they let everyone access its workings and to hook stuff up to it to give all sorts of options to use whatever you want bolted on to the systems. Given how much extra stuff most of us plug into Windows & Android, some of it of knowingly dubious origin, it's a miracle it works more than 50% of the time, let alone the 99.9% it normally does. "But your laptop only lasted 3 years!!" Yes, it did, and it only cost £320 new.
    The bonnet is not as booby trapped as Apple would have you believe.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited February 2021

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

So, your work IT people issue you with an IPhone, with 2 factor authentication enabled, and iCloud *disabled*, without checking if you have another device to use for that 2 factor check, nor whether iOS really works great without the cloud function enabled and then somehow blame Apple as it’s their fault?

Really?
    Yeah, they are called Defra. But really, why should I have to use another devcice when I can log into my Apple account on my PC? So yes, it is Apples fault. Oh, and the AppleiD fell over due to an update - the IT folk have a lot of problem with iOS updates going wrong. I think that is probably Apples fault too.

I just find the company poor. For example, when I was touring in Norway my mate had an iPad for us to write our blog on. We downloaded photos onto the iPad which was fine for a while but we ran out of space on Photobucket. So we had to store photos on the tablet. But then we ran out of space on the tablet so we decided to upload the photos back onto a spare SD card. But, either nobody in Apple had thought that anyone might want to move data off the tablet (because who would want to do such a crazy wackaday thing?) or they deliberately decided to ban us from doing it because they are bastards. Of course, Apple had a solution; to put the photos on the cloud. But you try that somewhere between Tromso and the North Cape. Any other tablet would have allowed the data to go both ways. What on earth is the harm in that.

Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    I have to say, I am a bit befuddled when people get annoyed at apple for doing things an apple wasn't designed to do.

It's a bit like complaining your track bike is rubbish on gravel roads. Fine, then don't buy a track bike.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited February 2021
    rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?
    Yeah, they are called Defra. But really, why should I have to use another devcice when I can log into my Apple account on my PC? So yes, it is Apples fault. Oh, and the AppleiD fell over due to an update - the IT folk have a lot of problem with iOS updates going wrong. I think that is probably Apples fault too.

I just find the company poor. For example, when I was touring in Norway my mate had an iPad for us to write our blog on. We downloaded photos onto the iPad which was fine for a while but we ran out of space on Photobucket. So we had to store photos on the tablet. But then we ran out of space on the tablet so we decided to upload the photos back onto a spare SD card. But, either nobody in Apple had thought that anyone might want to move data off the tablet (because who would want to do such a crazy wackaday thing?) or they deliberately decided to ban us from doing it because they are bastards. Of course, Apple had a solution; to put the photos on the cloud. But you try that somewhere between Tromso and the North Cape. Any other tablet would have allowed the data to go both ways. What on earth is the harm in that.

Wrong tools for the job.
    That is a prime example of why I use a laptop instead of a pad of any description.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f

I have to say, I am a bit befuddled when people get annoyed at apple for doing things an apple wasn't designed to do.

It's a bit like complaining your track bike is rubbish on gravel roads. Fine, then don't buy a track bike.

No, it's a bit like complaining your road bike doesn't have brakes because Apple decided that you had scrape your feet on the ground to stop. The point about Windows stuff is it is designed to allow you to do anything whereas with Apple the blindingly obvious things you might want to do turn out to be things that Apple won't let you do for absolutely no logical reason.
    pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.
    That is a prime example of why I use a laptop instead of a pad of any description.
    What tool would you recommend for writing blog entries whilst on a biking tour. Aside from a non-Apple tablet (lesson learned the hard way)

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
    rolf_f said:

No, it's a bit like complaining your road bike doesn't have brakes because Apple decided that you had scrape your feet on the ground to stop. The point about Windows stuff is it is designed to allow you to do anything whereas with Apple the blindingly obvious things you might want to do turn out to be things that Apple won't let you do for absolutely no logical reason.
    pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.
    What tool would you recommend for writing blog entries whilst on a biking tour. Aside from a non-Apple tablet (lesson learned the hard way)

Pre smart phone, I took my Google Nexus (which had to be rooted to allow external storage) on a bike tour, but since I've had a smart phone (I was a late adopter), the tablet's been pretty much unused. Given that smart phones can (mostly) use a micro SD card for external storage to swap photo files between phone and a proper camera, I'd not bother with a tablet these days: too small for the stuff that's best done on a laptop, and too big to stick in a jersey pocket.

• pblakeney
    rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.

A phone for portability; a laptop for power/storage. Choose. I'd take the phone.
    A pad is a compromise with the worst of both.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    edited February 2021

rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.

Pre smart phone, I took my Google Nexus (which had to be rooted to allow external storage) on a bike tour, but since I've had a smart phone (I was a late adopter), the tablet's been pretty much unused. Given that smart phones can (mostly) use a micro SD card for external storage to swap photo files between phone and a proper camera, I'd not bother with a tablet these days: too small for the stuff that's best done on a laptop, and too big to stick in a jersey pocket.

For me - laptop is too expensive, too heavy, uses too much power (quite a challenge keeping GPS, phone and tablet charged via the dynamo hub when cycling in mountainous areas) and is too delicate. Phone too small. Also the tablet serves as a good ebook viewer which a phone wouldn't. Basically, a tablet with USB is ideal. Foolishly we assumed that the Apple connection would work both ways and this is my problem. Apple actively engineers non function into its products and it does it where you wouldn't expect it to.
  • briantrumpet
    rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.

For me - laptop is too expensive, too heavy, uses too much power (quite a challenge keeping GPS, phone and tablet charged via the dynamo hub when cycling in mountainous areas) and is too delicate. Phone too small. Also the tablet serves as a good ebook viewer which a phone wouldn't. Basically, a tablet with USB is ideal. Foolishly we assumed that the Apple connection would work both ways and this is my problem. Apple actively engineers non function into its products and it does it where you wouldn't expect it to.

I've actually been reasonably happy with blogging via phone (via Wordpress), and wouldn't take a laptop on tour. But, yes, I've no idea why Apple or anyone would not make external storage two-way, unless it's to force you to use cloud storage. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that most of Apple's policies are to drive up users' dependence on paid-for Apple services or physical products. It's a long time since they trashed their reputation as the 'good guys', standing in opposition to the 'evil' Microsoft.
  • rick_chasey
    rolf_f said:

No now you're just being snobby.

You want to do things that the apple thing is not designed to.

I'm fairly computer literate, spent a lot of time tweaking my gaming pc as a kid, overclocking etc. I have no issue at all with apple stuff. I use it for what it's designed for. I love it as a result. I don't always want to get stuck into the innards. I don't always want customised - I want it optimised on my behalf.

If I want to start doing something beyond that apple design, I won't even try to do it on apple. I don't know why that is so difficult to understand.

• elbowloh
    I'm pretty sure apple do market iPads for blogging.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Apple's marketing was literally "what's a computer" because an ipad could do everything that a laptop could.
  • pblakeney

Apple's marketing was literally "what's a computer" because an ipad could do everything that a laptop could.

But only if used as designed. If you don't like the way it is designed then don't buy.
    I don't expect my Campg levers to have double tap shifting.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    Not sure why people are trying to defend apple. Some people on here are just saying they have problems with the products. We're not looking for an answer, just stating a fact that they're are pissed off about them.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

Not sure why people are trying to defend apple. Some people on here are just saying they have problems with the products. We're not looking for an answer, just stating a fact that they're are pissed off about them.

I'm not defending them. I just don't understand people buying things that they don't like/expect to work other than designed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    edited February 2021

rolf_f said:

No now you're just being snobby.

You want to do things that the apple thing is not designed to.

I'm fairly computer literate, spent a lot of time tweaking my gaming pc as a kid, overclocking etc. I have no issue at all with apple stuff. I use it for what it's designed for. I love it as a result. I don't always want to get stuck into the innards. I don't always want customised - I want it optimised on my behalf.

If I want to start doing something beyond that apple design, I won't even try to do it on apple. I don't know why that is so difficult to understand.

Am I really being snobby in wondering why if I connect my phone to the computer I can't just drag files across from one to the other? Is it snobby to be surprised that when I finally do manage to get a file onto the phone that I can't actually find it because the file doesn't count as a file for reasons I don't understand so isn't in the folder shaped icon labelled files? Is it snobby to just expect that things that are straightforward tasks everywhere else have been coded deliberately to stop you doing those things? I just want to be able to do things that on every other IT device I have used is taken for granted.

Why do you find that difficult to understand? I don't want to get stuck into the innards. I don't want to have to learn the weird specifics of how Apple has decided to do something this year and download a stack of clunky, unnecessary apps to do it (I mean, iTunes - really? That really is an un-polishable turd). I just want to be able to do simple things easily and intuitively.

In a way you have hit the nail on the head. I want to do things that the Apple thing is designed not to do. That's the difference. Windows stuff is designed to do things, Apple stuff is designed not to do things. And they are really basic things. Idiotic IMO. I have my own brain - I don't need Apple to think for me.

• pblakeney said:

Apple's marketing was literally "what's a computer" because an ipad could do everything that a laptop could.

But only if used as designed. If you don't like the way it is designed then don't buy.
    I don't expect my Campg levers to have double tap shifting.
    So they should have had someone replying "it's that thing over there that you need to use for all the stuff your ipad can't do."?

I don't think that was the point of the advert. It was more "everything you need to do that you used to do on a computer, you can do on an ipad - if you can't do it on an ipad, we've decided you don't really need that stuff".
  • rjsterry
    rolf_f said:

pblakeney said:

rolf_f said:

rolf_f said:

Jezyboy said:

rolf_f said:

Really?

Wrong tools for the job.

I must be missing something. You had mobile Internet access to upload to Photo bucket and post blogs, but somehow you couldn't upload to iCloud?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rolf_f said:

Windows stuff is designed to do things, Apple stuff is designed not to do things.

You can do these things on Apple, you just have to use a different method.
    You don't like the method, fine. Use Windows.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    edited February 2021
    For some of us, we didn't buy them, we were given them by work or, as in my case, the wife bought one as someone (an apple fan) advised her to get it, but I'm the one who has to deal with it.

I'm pretty sure they are designed to connect to iTunes, but 8 times out of 10 the iPad and iPhone (she's had about 4) just won't. That's also across different laptops.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I've moved beyond laptops and life is better as a result.

Work windows laptop, rest of my life on ipads or iphones.
  • elbowloh

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

For some of us, we didn't buy them, we were given them by work or, as in my case, the wife bought one as someone (an apple fan) advised her to get it, but I'm the one who has to deal with it.

I'm pretty sure they are designed to connect to iTunes, but 8 times out of 10 the iPad and iPhone (she's had about 4) just won't. That's also across different laptops.

They were designed to use iTunes a while ago but are now designed to use iCloud. It's been years since I connected my phone to my laptop for any reason other than as a hotspot when on the road.
    Anyway, point made and I'm done.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

Life is better?

Yeah, ok.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Jesus fukcning Christ, you lot.