Things that don't stand the test of time

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,713

I still find some old comedy quite funny - Porridge is one I watched recently and laughed at - I may not be typical but I think I might still find Reginald Perrin funny, I'd have to rewatch Rising Damp not sure about that.

The ones I really can't watch now are the Young Ones and Black Adder (although the last series is an exception) - I just find them juvenile rather than funny.

Porridge is and was sublime. The writing and acting first class.
    It's up there with Fools and Horses and One foot in the grave.
    This explains a lot.
    You disagree about the quality of the acting and writing?
    No. Porridge is what, 40-50 years old? OFAH is 30-40 years old. OFING is almost 30 years old too.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

I still find some old comedy quite funny - Porridge is one I watched recently and laughed at - I may not be typical but I think I might still find Reginald Perrin funny, I'd have to rewatch Rising Damp not sure about that.

The ones I really can't watch now are the Young Ones and Black Adder (although the last series is an exception) - I just find them juvenile rather than funny.

This explains a lot.
    No. Porridge is what, 40-50 years old? OFAH is 30-40 years old. OFING is almost 30 years old too.
    And your point is? Apart from showing off your counting skills.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,676

Dinosaurs.

Given they lasted about 165,000,000 years I think they did pretty well. 230,000,000 if you include birds.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,783
    rjsterry said:

Dinosaurs.

Given they lasted about 165,000,000 years I think they did pretty well. 230,000,000 if you include birds.
    Wonder how long humans will last on current trajectory?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,918

This explains a lot.
    And your point is? Apart from showing off your counting skills.

I think his point is that Shakespeare comedies must be ten times worse, as they are, what, 400 years old?
  • Planets.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,564
    rjsterry said:

Dinosaurs.

What? The female version lasted an extra 65 million years, how did that happen?

(Just checking if 1970s sexist slang stands the test of time)
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    IEEE 1394 FireWire...

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    Earphone cables
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Earphone cables

I find wireless headphones to be a pain in the arse, particularly when using multiple devices and also when paired with a phone and you don't want to use the headphones, forget they're connected and you think there's something wrong with the phone when trying to answer a call. Sound quality is not as good as with normal headphones either.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    elbowloh said:

Earphone cables

I find wireless headphones to be a pain in the censored , particularly when using multiple devices and also when paired with a phone and you don't want to use the headphones, forget they're connected and you think there's something wrong with the phone when trying to answer a call. Sound quality is not as good as with normal headphones either.
    That and they are given to falling out, which necessities use of the ones that hook over the ear if you plan to do anything remotely active. These are both uncomfortable and incompatible with sunglasses.
  • Tattoos.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Apple devices/products
  • briantrumpet
    me-109 said:

Apple devices/products

On purpose?
  • Civilisations.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,419
    elbowloh said:

Earphone cables

I find wireless headphones to be a pain in the censored , particularly when using multiple devices and also when paired with a phone and you don't want to use the headphones, forget they're connected and you think there's something wrong with the phone when trying to answer a call. Sound quality is not as good as with normal headphones either.
    I found that my Bluetooth earphones caused issues with my online Teams meetings causing freezes and drop outs. Had our IT dept totally baffled. Had Office deleted and reinstalled twice. Windows reinstalled once. Only found out it was the earphone by accident when I forgot to charge them and Teams worked flawlessly.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,676

me-109 said:

Apple devices/products

On purpose?
    I dunno, I have an 8-year-old iMac still serving us perfectly well. There's a 10-year-old one that the children have been using for home schooling.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    MS Teams seems to insanely resource-heavy* mind. My work laptop basically runs at 100% with it open, 10 % closed...

* (is that what proper IT nerds call it?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

MS Teams seems to insanely resource-heavy* mind. My work laptop basically runs at 100% with it open, 10 % closed...

* (is that what proper IT nerds call it?)

I uninstalled it on my laptop when we first had it as a company (before it suddenly became the most important bit of software in the world)
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah Bluetooth is not ideal but does it break every 18 months?

• motogull
    motogull Posts: 325

Some mothers do have em.

Good call that. Let's all laugh at a simpleton doing his best to make his way in life. Unwatchable now.
  • briantrumpet
    motogull said:

Some mothers do have em.

Good call that. Let's all laugh at a simpleton doing his best to make his way in life. Unwatchable now.
    I just watched 2 minutes of On The Buses - didn't even like it when it was on, and, erm...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    The Black and White Minstrel show hasn't aged well.
  • Pro cycling, athletic wins.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Yeah Bluetooth is not ideal but does it break every 18 months?

Just every few minutes
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915

me-109 said:

Apple devices/products

On purpose?
    If 'batterygate ' is any thing to go by, yes. I've had a couple of phones and they did appear to be robust physically, but the product lifecycle seems to be artificially shortened by software and OS compatability. Or features that nobody really needs that seem to be intrinsic to the platform/OS and therefore rule out running on older devices.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    My marriage, unfortunately

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    Elbow are you listening to FLAC rather than MP3 stuff then? You must have some fairly decent wired cans (or very poor wireless cans)if you can hear the difference?
  • Pross
    Classic board games being remade. We've started playing some lately and bought new versions of Monopoly and Game of Life. Both have been altered, with Monopoly I think this was just because the only version available was the digital version that is intended to be quicker but it was less interesting for it. Game of Life just seems to have been pointlessly "modernised" as was far worse for it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,783

Elbow are you listening to FLAC rather than MP3 stuff then? You must have some fairly decent wired cans (or very poor wireless cans)if you can hear the difference?

I have 5 sets of head/earphones for various reasons. A mix of wired and BT.
    I can hear differences in all of them. They all have their uses with different strengths and weaknesses.
    As an aside, the sound quality of the original recording is more important than mp3 v lossless or any other remaster.

Back on topic. Poor sound recordings when listened to using decent equipment.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.