The Rugby Thread

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,814

I can't comment on the rights or wrongs of the penalties and yellow card, but Pat Lam was highly 'disingenious' regarding the fitness or otherwise of Afoa - subbed tactically (Lam tells his pitchside manager what should be recorded), then oddly injured when Lam things they'll go uncontested, but miraculously fit again when Lam is told they'd have to lose an extra man and go down to 13. Borthwick was spot on calling Lam a liar.

Then was the ball out or not when Uren pinched it from between the tigers 6 & 8?
    Not a good sight to see the likes of Nathan Hughes getting involved in the scrap from the subs bench.

I agree with all of this.
    Cause and effect.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Treviso through to the final of the Rainbow Cup to play an SA side shorn of all its internationals.

The perfect end to another epic PrO'14 season.
  • blazing_saddles
    narbs said:

Treviso through to the final of the Rainbow Cup to play an SA side shorn of all its internationals.

Incredible luck for Benetton and bad luck for Glasgow.
    So few daily Covid cases still in Wales, yet Ospreys manage to find three.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931

narbs said:

Must be something in the West Walian air! Scarlets were a Covid hotbeat earlier in the season which resulted in quite a few match cancellations, which certainly in the Euro Cup was to their benefit.
  • narbs

narbs said:

Saves Ospreys the ignominy of being beaten by the worst team in the league I suppose!

Having spent last weekend watching the ProD2 final and the last round of the Top14, knowing Cardiff are stuck in the Pro14 is so frustrating. It's a bad idea for a league, badly executed and officiated, packed with meaningless fixtures against sides supporters don't care about.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    narbs said:

narbs said:

Saves Ospreys the ignominy of being beaten by the worst team in the league I suppose!

Having spent last weekend watching the ProD2 final and the last round of the Top14, knowing Cardiff are stuck in the Pro14 is so frustrating. It's a bad idea for a league, badly executed and officiated, packed with meaningless fixtures against sides supporters don't care about.
    Given the result of the last two Cardiff vs Ospreys Pro14 matches, I'm going to take a wild guess that you are a Cardiff supporter. :D;)
  • narbs
    Absolutely amazing Top14 access match yesterday. Massive local rivalry, huge intensity and an incredible atmosphere from a claimed 5000 supporters (although I suspect there were more than that in there!). Biarritz and Bayonne finished normal time at 3-3 with Bayonne spending the last 4 minutes camped on the Biarritz line and not once attempting a drop goal to win it. 6-6 after extra time so the lottery of penalties from the 25m line which Biarritz won 8-7, Steffon Armitage kicking the winning pen. Biarritz up to the Top14, Bayonne relegated to ProD2.

Then last night the prefecture of Bayonne made a complaint that Biarritz had breached Covid regulations with the selling of alcohol at the ground, so who knows where it will end.

Tremendous stuff!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    ddraver said:
    Playing Devil's Advocate here, so while it's a promising initiative, it needed to be introduced in conjunction with a change to the rolling maul from the line out.
    Such a high percentage of tries are scored from kicking to the corner, sticking the ball behind 8 forwards (illegal in ever other facet of the game) and letting momentum and the rules to get you over the line.

Certain teams, who shall remain nameless will see this as another opportunity to score from a rolling maul, rather than exploiting any possible gain in space for the backs to create.

In other words, more kicking to the corner.
  • ddraver
    edited June 2021
    True but as a forward, a well-executed Rolling Maul is a thing of pure beauty ;)

😘🥰😘😍🥰
    https://youtu.be/MppBGj-0QRM?t=4538
    😘🥰😘😍🥰
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks like the warm up match against Japan may have cost the Lions their captain....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    What channel is that on? Sky Sports I assume?
  • ddraver
    I've taken to taking Grandpa Raver up the pub to watch the local-ist team we have, Exeter Cheifs, the last few weeks. What a game but...gutted :(
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

What channel is that on? Sky Sports I assume?

Sorry for being late.
    No, Channel 4, so you can download it..

Anyhow, both he and Tipuric are off the plane to SA.
    I know how George felt when he got injured and lost his chance.
    For those two must feel even worse.
    Connor Murray new captain.
    Not that I'm much interested, as those matches are bound to be on Sky Sports.
  • Dorset_Boy
    edited June 2021
    It's bad enough to get injured on a Lions Tour but to be out before you've even hopped on the plan is horrible. Such a shame for them.
    End of career for AWJ?

Main tour is on Sky.
  • Pross
    No English players in the starting 15 yesterday? Is that due to their domestic season running so late (play off final yesterday too)? I haven't seen the Tour squad and whilst England had a poor season I expected to see a few in the team.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Pross said:

No English players in the starting 15 yesterday? Is that due to their domestic season running so late (play off final yesterday too)? I haven't seen the Tour squad and whilst England had a poor season I expected to see a few in the team.

Salaries players only joined up earlier this week, Exeter playing the final yesterday. However does seem odd as there are a number of other English players who were available, and a bit like the two injury replacements.
  • Pross
    Looks like Geraint has shamed AWJ into getting back to work. Surprised it's being considered to be honest.
  • Pross
    First Lions Test tomorrow. The team selection was a bit of a surprise based on the bits of matches I've seen so far, I think it's going to be a tight one.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Pross said:

First Lions Test tomorrow. The team selection was a bit of a surprise based on the bits of matches I've seen so far, I think it's going to be a tight one.

Saffa TMO will decide it. By many accounts he should have had Faff sent off in the A game, but couldn't do that to their test 9. Should have been a Kiwi but unlike football, they wanted him in the same country as the matches and he pulled out with the Lions only being told on Wednesday. Judy is said to be fuming.

Will be interesting to see if the Saffas run out of steam later on, if the Lions can get some pace on the game.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Poor first half from the Lions, but they turned it around in the second, dominating territory. Couple of close calls, 2 in the Lions favour, one for Saffa.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Was a hard game, and all down to discipline.

Think the Lions might have won it midweek when they went ballistic about the tmo. Definitely two massive decisions went in our favour there.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Well Rassie's Rant clearly worked as it saved Colby and Faff from being given the red cards the laws state they should have had. Faff's wasn't even looked at by the onfield officials with the Saffa TMO claiming nothing to see here, move on (as he did with Faff in the SA A match). If it was beyond the wit of the IRB to have an independent TMO, who could Wayne Barnes, who is over there, not have had one of the tests as TMO?

Those decision would have resulted in a Lions series win.

Without them the Lions were awful in the second half. The back 3 simply dreadful under the high ball, as was Henshaw in the air on attacking kicks. Sutherland and Owens hopeless as replacements, and the weakness at 9 came home to roost. The Lions so needed Liam Williams today. Pack fell apart when SA made their changes so the backs couldn't play rugby.

Pretty awful game of rugby, even worse than the first test.
  • ddraver
    It's bloomin' hard to watch this series.

Not in terms of quality of rugby but in access to the bloody coverage!
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    ddraver said:

It's bloomin' hard to watch this series.

Not in terms of quality of rugby but in access to the bloody coverage!

Lions tours have been on Sky for the last 30 years.
  • blazing_saddles

Well Rassie's Rant clearly worked as it saved Colby and Faff from being given the red cards the laws state they should have had. Faff's wasn't even looked at by the onfield officials with the Saffa TMO claiming nothing to see here, move on (as he did with Faff in the SA A match). If it was beyond the wit of the IRB to have an independent TMO, who could Wayne Barnes, who is over there, not have had one of the tests as TMO?

Those decision would have resulted in a Lions series win.

Without them the Lions were awful in the second half. The back 3 simply dreadful under the high ball, as was Henshaw in the air on attacking kicks. Sutherland and Owens hopeless as replacements, and the weakness at 9 came home to roost. The Lions so needed Liam Williams today. Pack fell apart when SA made their changes so the backs couldn't play rugby.

Pretty awful game of rugby, even worse than the first test.

Absolutely.
    I haven’t been able to watch but from reading various reports and opinion the common grievance seems to be that the back 3 were awful and the the Boks got away with murder.
    Biggest surprise for me is how Gats has seemingly abandoned his experienced stalwarts in favour of players renowned for being inconsistent.

• kingstongraham
    Who was it slammed into Biggar in the aftermath of what should have been the red card? That was a yellow on its own.
  • Dorset_Boy

Who was it slammed into Biggar in the aftermath of what should have been the red card? That was a yellow on its own.

I think Furlong clipped him rather than a cheap Saffa shot.
  • kingstongraham

I think Furlong clipped him rather than a cheap Saffa shot.
    I think there might have been a little shove here.

• ddraver
    'He made the most of it'....
    - @ddraver