Anti nostalgia

12346»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    ...not to mention the limited opening hours.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    and books being out of print
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pblakeney said:

Half day closing, anyone? Remember that?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Half day closing, anyone? Remember that?
    Worked it.
    Had to work a Saturday though. Not so good after a Friday night.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    Has anyone mentioned the toilet paper they used to have in schools? You know, the grease proof paper stuff that performed the opposite to the required function?
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021

Has anyone mentioned the toilet paper they used to have in schools? You know, the grease proof paper stuff that performed the opposite to the required function?

Public toilets too. That and the smell stopped me using them. Save it till somewhere more pleasant. 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916

Post#1 in this thread:

Seeing the nostalgia thread made me start thinking about the things I'm glad have changed or disappeared... so here are some of mine for starters

• shiny toilet paper as standard - only any good for smearing
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387

Although it did prove a good medium for printing "now wash your hands" on every square which is not afforded by the effete "tissue" alternative that we have today.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Cars that seemed to rust visibly overnight.
  • pblakeney
    Buying your new (second hand natch) car and your first drive being to a Halfords to get the Haynes manual.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

Buying your new (second hand natch) car and your first drive being to a Halfords to get the Haynes manual.

Opening said Haynes manual and realising you have neither the tools, skills or motivation to find or fix the problem.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    pblakeney said:

Public toilets too. That and the smell stopped me using them. Save it till somewhere more pleasant. 🤣🤣🤣
    Now there is nowhere more pleasant because there is no money to keep them open.
    The nearest back entry is the only alternative.
    The Romans could organise somewhere for the public to p but in 21st century UK that is beyond us.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    One of the benefits of face coverings is that it takes the edge off when having to use a public toilet.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2021
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Opening said Haynes manual and realising you have neither the tools, skills or motivation to find or fix the problem.
    Said manual and experience taught me an important life lesson. Find out how to do a job then do a time/failure/cost assessment. Some times it is easy, some times it is better just to pay the expert. I rebuilt the engine for my Capri which was surprisingly easy. Fortunately bikes are very easy.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

Cars that seemed to rust visibly overnight.

Ruddy awful.

I recall the future Mrs Slog bringing her car to my house so that my dad could make a bit to fit around the shock absorber under the bonnet. It had failed MOT due to corrosion and needed a piece of metal to be welded there. Dad was a sheet metal worker, and cut and shaped a bit in our shed.

It was a complex shape, but he was very skilled. However, after several adjustments (going back into the shed and more hammering), it still didn't fit which was a bit of a puzzler to him. Whilst studying the part and placement, we noticed a noise, a sort of creaking.

It was the shock was coming out of the top of the wing as we watched, and that's why he couldn't get a fit, it was changing by the minute!

The older I get, the better I was.