Castelli Idro pro jacket goretex shake dry

Hello

Just looking at a somewhat frivolous purchase of castelli idro pro jacket. Can anyone offer any experience of this jacket, idro jacket or goretex shake dry and also winter cold weather use. Thanks.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have Gortex Shakedry jacket. It does what it’s supposed i.e keeps the rain out whilst not being too sweaty. It’s in my pocket for most rides and comes out if it starts raining, so I’m usually sweaty already. However when I’ve worn it for a couple of hours my base layers are no damper than if hadn’t been wearing it. I use it all year round.
  • Thanks. With the expenditure I really want to use it all year round. Maybe even go to bed in it.
  • webboo
    I’d rather not wear mine. ;)
  • Had a Gore shakedry since they were released. Stick it in my back pocket every ride just in case, light and folds down easily so you don't notice it.

You are basically paying for a fully waterproof jacket that never needs re-proofing which I personally think is worth it. As mentioned also pretty breathable and you can just wipe it down after riding if you get dirt/road spray over it.
  • One of my favourite pieces of kit. Not only is it 100% waterproof, it has the added benefit of never needing re-treated á la Gabba. I've also found it to be brilliant for keeping the chill off when descending big climbs where you've worked up a sweat and it's a bit cold.

Honestly, if you do a lot of riding it's definitely worth the money.
  • +1 for the Gore Shakedry. one caveat don't come off they don't like abrasion and are expensive to repair ,and believe it or not, even though the jacket is predominately black the Gore repair accredited outlets only repair in BROWN . Doh!
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    edited December 2020
    Love my shakedry for all the reasons already stated.

I had a spill while wearing mine which resulted in a couple of small holes.

I used clear frame protection tape, cut to size to cover the holes and have had no issues with continually scrunching and unscrunching the jacket up, before, during and after rides.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited December 2020
    I have a Gore Shakedry hi viz, the one with Gore Active bits of yellow added on, and I also was delighted to pick up a 7Mesh Oro earlier this year.

If you want a race fit the 7Mesh is much more like it, especially as it goes down to XS, the small gore I have is still pretty roomy.
    From reading the reviews, I think the Castelli sits in the middle ground between the two.

Fantastic quality garments, and the 7mesh notably, at sub 100g, is the definition of a packable jacket.
    The gore can be packed as well, but it doesn't compress quite as small - maybe a stuff sack would help with that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    rapha are bringing one out in EF colours (not the EF branding) if you want something brighter - it is £240 though
  • amrushton said:

rapha are bringing one out in EF colours (not the EF branding) if you want something brighter - it is £240 though

They've been and gone, sold out in a few days on general sale as there were limited numbers due to the difficulty in producing the printed Shakedry

• ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Idro is an excellent piece of kit. I've got the original version. Packs down well and is very light.

Always carry it and its been great in the Canaries for downhills also.

I got it for about £180 I think. Money well spent.

If you are going for the Goretex Shakedry, make sure you don't get the runners one (its like a spinnaker!)
  • ara1973 said:

Thanks. With the expenditure I really want to use it all year round. Maybe even go to bed in it.

Not surprised at that price!
  • ara1973 said:

Hello

Just looking at a somewhat frivolous purchase of castelli idro pro jacket. Can anyone offer any experience of this jacket, idro jacket or goretex shake dry and also winter cold weather use. Thanks.

I have the Gore and it is a game changer just not for the Trails quite a delicate garment , i prefer the Idro purely because Castelli have incorporated elastine making it a more pro look.
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • I have a shakedry but have found it to be the same as all other waterproof jackets. When i put it on the jersey i have on under it ends up wet.
    I don't think i have too much clothes on because used it in summer with just a ss jersey and used it in winter with base layer long sleeved jersey (temp around 0 ).
    Do you think mines could be faulty ??
  • webboo
    I guess it would depend on how hard you are riding. If I’m riding hard in summer in a ss jersey it’s going to get wet with sweat.
  • dod2565 said:

I have a shakedry but have found it to be the same as all other waterproof jackets. When i put it on the jersey i have on under it ends up wet.
    I don't think i have too much clothes on because used it in summer with just a ss jersey and used it in winter with base layer long sleeved jersey (temp around 0 ).
    Do you think mines could be faulty ??

I'd say that's sweat, not the rain. Either that or water is somehow making its way down through the collar. I've worn it in absolute downpours and been dry as a bone underneath.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    To a certain extent it does depend on the individual too - I’m a sweater, summer, winter, rain or shine I sweat buckets. No material will ever be waterproof and able to breath at a rate that will prevent me from being wet on the inside.

For this reason I’ve given up on the idea of waterproof and merely go for windproof. I can remain wet but warm with layers and windproofing.