Clicking/pinging noise from back wheel

webboo
webboo Posts: 6,087
I have a pair of Miche reflex rx7 wheels on my winter bike. I get this noise which is pinging or clicking sound. I know it’s from the back wheel as I swopped pedals and the back wheel and it wasn’t there when I put in a different wheel. The bearings run smooth and the free wheel appears to be ok. Yesterday when I was out for a ride I went through a section of road that was flooded and afterwards the noise stopped for about an hour then started again. I suspect this was due to whatever had got wet had dried out.
Any ideas

Comments

• Chain/rear mech isn't adjusted properly?

Cassette needs tightening / damaged?

Maybe a ball bearing has come loose inside?
  • webboo
    Rear mech works fine and cassette is tight, I had to swop the cassette when I swopped wheels, so it’s been on and off and cleaned. It doesn’t sound like a gears not adjusted properly problem and why would it stop if it got wet. After it got wet there was was no noise from the drive train until it started to dry out.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    sounds very much like spokes or rear skewer then. try a little grease where they cross, and where they exit the hub.

at the risk of being indelicate, are you a larger rider? those of us who are tend to get this issues more.
  • webboo
    edited November 2020
    I consider myself larger than life. However I think I’m about 72 kilos at the moment. I will try the greasing bit, I did spray the spokes where they cross with some muc off mo94 but that didn’t seem to do anything.
  • Had a similar noise on my rear wheel. Turned out there was a tiny amount of grit from water ingress that made it's ways into the grease of the (cup & cone) bearings.

Not noticable when spinning the wheel but the extra pressure while riding and under load made the noise occur.

A good clean out and regrease stopped it temporarily because it was a low quality, poorly sealed hub in the first place.

May not be the case for you as it doesn't explain the noise lessening with water but worth checking out as a possibility.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Certainly had pinging and clicking on a new set of wheels which was said to be down to the spokes/spoke nipples "settling in" when under load. The noises did disappear after a couple of rides.

As @david37 suggests, I think it may be down to the spokes and/or the spoke nipples as the wheel flexes slightly under load. The fact that it disappeared after going through the floodwater could be due to the water seeping into the nipple beds and coating the spokes where they cross.

Might be worth checking the individual spoke tensions in case uneven tensions may be at the root of the problems. Maybe a bit of Teflon lubricant around the spoke nipples would be worth trying also
  • webboo
    The wheels are factory built with 28 bladed spokes. Although the wheel is true the spokes do seem to have a bit of flex in them. I did check the bearings and they seemed clean.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    A DT Swiss rear wheel I had made a pinging sound particularly when out of the saddle under load.

I put a drop of lube on the spokes where they entered the hub & also cleaned / greased the skewer which seemed to sort it.

Had to do this every couple of months though as the noise kept returning.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ibr17xvii said:

A DT Swiss rear wheel I had made a pinging sound particularly when out of the saddle under load.

I put a drop of lube on the spokes where they entered the hub & also cleaned / greased the skewer which seemed to sort it.

Was that a direct pull bladed spoke? I had similar and replaced the rear hub for one with jbend spokes and glorious silence for ever more.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    david37 said:

ibr17xvii said:

Was that a direct pull bladed spoke? I had similar and replaced the rear hub for one with jbend spokes and glorious silence for ever more.

Yeah it was actually.

Didn't really bother me that much TBH, I used to just add a drop of lube where the spokes entered the hub every month or so when I was relubing the chain & that did the trick.