Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Friday's wasteland

Morning. Cold dark and foggy. Work and maybe play later.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• thistle_thistle_ Posts: 6,180
    'Ning
    Has Biden won yet? Getting fed up with the waiting now.
    Seems mild outside. Was going to go for a run but CBA. Might go for a ride in the sunshine later if motivation returns.
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, just walked the dog in thick fog, shopping in a few minutes, riding when the sun comes out , more gardening later.
    Have a good day
  • sungodsungod Posts: 14,362
    'ning

nippy ride, cafe, nip into gmc then wfh
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 9,141
    Opened the front door to find some [email protected] neighbour park right up against my front bumper! 😤 Got in the car and realised I hadn’t applied the handbrake last night, whoops 😗
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmateballysmate Posts: 15,903
    seanoconn said:

Opened the front door to find some [email protected] neighbour park right up against my front bumper! 😤 Got in the car and realised I hadn’t applied the handbrake last night, whoops 😗

Yep, clumsy fecker. :D
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,617
    seanoconn said:

I would still leave a nasty note on his windscreen
    Pulled my back yesterday and today it is worse 😢 means no training and concerns about next weeks virtual race

Work stuff and then open up the home bar again, though we have the MIL still here walking around in a daze due to the legal drugs she won’t share
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 6,180
    tlw1 said:

Pulled my back yesterday and today it is worse 😢 means no training and concerns about next weeks virtual race

How did you manage to do that?
    Mine's still not right :neutral:

tlw1 said:

Picking up a dog 😳
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 9,141
    tlw1 said:

tlw1 said:

Picking up a dog 😳
    I’m sure Stevo’s spidey smut senses were tingling at 08:53
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Gloomy start to the day but it's looking nice out.
    WFW so going out on the bike isn't an option but the TT is going in the kitchen this afternoon so I can Zwift on the big telly.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Ayup!
    Lockdown?
    What lockdown.
    Seems as busy as ever.
    Anyway done the lockdown shop with the OH. Can't believe some of the sh*te she's just bought, dishwasher salt? What the f*ck is that all about? Picked up OH's hound from dog sitter, the poor lad has sh*t all over the house. Again! Looks like lockdown will now entail full-time dog caring duties too.
    An hour's WFH followed by WFW should see me through to the weekend, then it's chaffeuring duties for the OH and full on parcel deliveries too, until the other side of Xmas. I really hate this time of year, but can console myself with making lots of money.
    If I'm really lucky might get an hour or two with the OH tonight, but it's already looking highly doubtful.
    edited November 2020
    giving the gmc bean to cup machine a workout, aside from security security security have the place to myself

hurrah! just found a stray bottle of haut-brion 2016, think it was a gift from a grateful punter

forgot all about it, must've laid it down in my desk last crimbo, i anticipate a ceremonial cork popping over the weekend

hoppy will be most envious :smiley:
  • Meh weather day. Took a few old tyres to the tip, left here by previous owner. Then, other stuff done, none of it memorable or worthy.

Not much else, other than some turbo miles because wind and rain.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Seven 622SL Kestrel RT1000 On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • If your dog sitter is sh77ing all over the house then he really needs to see a doctor.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,162
    Morning, cold foggy an a bit of snow floating round in the air earlier when walking the hound.

Speaking of hound she managed to again fall into the trench I was clearing out, stupid thing seems drawn to them. She will happily trot along narrow planks but has to go to the edge have a good nose about an faceplant into them. Anyway dog was washed an wrapped in blankets most of the evening which was perfect with all the fireworks, seemed to keep her calm.

Todays heck involves a couple of video calls then not a lot, may strip down a bike I don't really use an pack it away an see about building a flat bar thing for the OH she seems to have a fleeting interest in pedalling. mean time I shall bask in the blazing heat of the wood burner which is munching up some assorted timber nicely.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 49,370
    seanoconn said:

tlw1 said:

tlw1 said:

Picking up a dog 😳
    I’m sure Stevo’s spidey smut senses were tingling at 08:53
    I'm a late starter on BR. You beat me to it, Finbarr :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • parmosparmos Posts: 89
    looking at hitting Tan Hill Later on my way home from working away
    Busy morning dealing with idiots from the Kingdom of Far Far Away, luckily they're 9 hours ahead so no more grief for now.

Time for some food before the next round of time wasters...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod said:

That's a generous gift. A "stray" bottle of a first growth. GMC towers must be an opulent kind of place. :D

hoppy would indeed be most envious . Given its youth, he would also open it in the morning, tip it into a jug, making sure to avoid any sediment, then return it to the rinsed out bottle ready for consumption in the evening with something suitably simple yet grand - best end of lamb perhaps with buttered carrots and suitable spuddage, p'r'aps pommes sarlardaises.

Or magret de canard with some wilted spinach and sauteed mushrooms.

Or just a packet of ready salted crisps and some of KP's finest peanuts.

Nothing so grand chez hoppy. A can or two of Poland's finest and something out of the freezer to make space for more stuff to go in the freezer..
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

That's a generous gift. A "stray" bottle of a first growth. GMC towers must be an opulent kind of place. :D
    only one bottle and the punter gave it to me :smiley:

gmc's office wine rack (yes, there is one) is drinkable plonk, though there was the terrible day some idiot asked a pa to get some bubbly and she ordered a case of prosecco, shudder
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 25,291 Lives Here
    Afternoon folks,
    Another busy day dealing with simpletons. Managed a little run at lunchtime, lots of people out in the park. Another evening of decorating before a weekend of moving and assembling furniture for the female child. Oh what fun.
    When I was still at the german bank, there was good in-house catering to try and keep entertainment costs down. The wine list was fantastic value, wholesale prices for some quite grand wines. You could book a dining room and as long as you reimbursed your cost code if there were no clients, it was a good chance to drink wines I couldn't normally afford at home, let alone in a restaurant setting.

Where I am now, there's a fridge in the stationery cupboard with some Asahi in it...
    hopkinb said:

Where I am now, there's a fridge in the stationery cupboard with some Asahi in it...

[Four Yorkshiremen mode on] You lucky [email protected]
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

[Four Yorkshiremen mode on] You lucky [email protected]
    There is also a lock on the fridge door... :'(
    hopkinb said:

When I was still at the german bank, there was good in-house catering to try and keep entertainment costs down. The wine list was fantastic value, wholesale prices for some quite grand wines. You could book a dining room and as long as you reimbursed your cost code if there were no clients, it was a good chance to drink wines I couldn't normally afford at home, let alone in a restaurant setting.

i used to enjoy going into barcap, the meeting rooms had a wireless butler button, things were never the same after the pétrus fuss
    Barcap - now they were some serious tax avoiders. the man there, what was his name, Bob Diamond, the double-dip king.

Simpler times.

I recall when I worked for KPMG out at Canary Wharf in 2001, one of the partners would decamp to Davys at 12 and get stuck into the port. Daily. He'd summon you on the phone and drunkenly ramble at you whilst plying you with the same port until neither he, nor you, could remember why you were there.
    hopkinb said:

Barcap - now they were some serious tax avoiders. the man there, what was his name, Bob Diamond, the double-dip king.

Simpler times.

I dunno, we did a good double dipper structure back in the 90's, managed to do the French and the Germans at the same time so extra satisfying. It wasn't simple though. o:)
    between credit suisse and barcap near the footbridge? i used to go to that davy's too! happy days

sungod said:

between credit suisse and barcap near the footbridge? i used to go to that davy's too! happy days

That's the one! I am talking nearly 20 years ago now though.