Alu 700c wheels, with dyno hub

Hi all

I have a winter/commuter Genesis Equilibrium, which has survived the years well. Unfortunately one of the spokes on the rear wheel broke a few months ago - i had it replaced, the second one broke shortly thereafter, got it replaced, the third one then broke etc etc. The wheels are stock and unbranded, and I feel now is the time to upgrade the wheelset.

I have a soft spot for Fulcrum (on past experience) but i also like Mavic and Shimano (though perhaps not on my winter bike). I've also been considering Hunt, though my LBS warned me against using Hunt (he claimed they weren't reliable?). My budget is between £400 and £600 (can stretch beyond that if necessary). I weigh ~75kg, and I use panniers to commute, I also use the bike for training and would like a balance of reliability, comfort and weight (though if pressed, priorities in that order). Shimano, 10-speed.

Anyway, the problem I have is that the front wheel has a dyno hub. Any replacement wheelset will therefore need a dyno hub...I think I have four options:

1) find a complete wheelset with a new dyno that I like. I'm struggling to find any with the brands I listed above. Do they exist? Or are they only available through niche supplier? (and if yes, which suppliers have race bike wheelsets with front dynos built in?)

2) find any wheelset I like, and then get the front wheel rebuilt with the old dyno hub I have currently. Not sure how easy rebuilding some of my favourite Fulcrum or Mavic wheelsets is though and how risky (in terms of reliability with the old dyno hub) this is though, so thoughts on this option welcomed.

3) find any wheelset I like, and then get the front wheel rebuilt with a new dyno hub. Not sure how easy rebuilding some of my favourite Fulcrum or Mavic wheelsets is though, and I'm not sure if the price of a new dyno hub is really worth it - I've probably covered 10,000 miles with the current dyno hub

4) just replace the rear wheel and not worry about changing the front wheel. Not so keen on this, I do want to have a wheelset of the same model. However it does have the benefit of getting me back on the road quickly!

5) are there any other options I've missed?

Thanks in advance
Tom

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Find a local wheelbuilder and they can rebuild your front wheel using the old dyno hub and also build a matching rear wheel.
    If your UK based then there's usually one not too far away.
  • Turns out 700c front wheels with 32 spokes are a rarity too.

The choice is underwhelming.

I may look at buying a whole new wheelset and hub.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    tommyd84 said:

Turns out 700c front wheels with 32 spokes are a rarity too.

The choice is underwhelming.

I may look at buying a whole new wheelset and hub.

There's loads of 32 hole rims here:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/rims
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I have a Mason Bokeh, which comes as STD with Hunt wheels, I've had 0 issues with the Hunt wheels. I've been heavier than you, use rack and pannier, commuting year round 10 mile each way, all year plus training rides, school runs ect ect
    Hunt do do a dynamo hub front wheel (can't remember spoke count)
    I have a Hope light set up but the from light has gone faulty intermittently, I didn't realise it's going on for 7 or 8 years.
    I'm considering a dynamo light setup, I nearly did it when I got the Mason as they offer it as a option.

My concern with dynamo though was this sort of thing, front wheel expenses
    Obviously a decent dynamo hub like Son is expensive but could be rebuilt into handmade wheel.
    My other concerns are around the "feel" of the magnets and the additional drag.
    Also the brightness of lights especially at lower speeds. I know they say it's to do with beam pattern and lenses but the lumans just seem low. My Hope R4 puts out 2000 lumens, well 1500 meadured lumens and again in bad weather, this can be under powered.
    Be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences
    Thanks Andy
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    SJS cycles do a lot of dyno hubs and they build wheels. I'd ring them and see what they can offer. Something like a DT460 rim with SS spokes would build into a nice tough wheel, but I'd be inclined to take their advice.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    edward.s said:

SJS cycles do a lot of dyno hubs and they build wheels. I'd ring them and see what they can offer. Something like a DT460 rim with SS spokes would build into a nice tough wheel, but I'd be inclined to take their advice.

Good shout, other suspects be the likes of rose bikes