TDF 2020 - Stage 8: Cazères-sur-Garonne - Loudenvielle 141 km *Spoilers*

15678911»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Don’t think that’s quite fair. If it was Thomas doing that no one would bat an eyelid
  • Don’t think that’s quite fair. If it was Thomas doing that no one would bat an eyelid

Thomas would be following team orders.

Anyhow, here is the interview video.

https://nos.nl/collectie/13847/video/2346958-ploegleider-maassen-dumoulin-had-beter-niet-op-kop-kunnen-rijden
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    "I was worried about Zakarin but when I saw he descended like a goat on a bike I knew I had it" - Nans Peters

calling a sportsman a "goat" is a big insult in France
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Like a ‘donkey’ here?
  • So why does Pinot need an honour guard of the entire team??

One of them wearing a full on winter jacket, lol

FDJ have history in behaving so (the guard of honour, not the winter jacket) - a few years ago they did the same for Demare when he was dropped.
  • Perhaps if Michelton-Scott had tried to defend the yellow jersey, Jumbo wouldn't have felt the need to control things, or at least not so quickly. And thus not worn out Dumoulin, and not lost others quite so soon.
    Afterwards, Tony Martin certainly seemed perplexed by the Mich-Scott passivity.

I also found it amusing that Yates said 'We had everything under control, especially in the steep climb'. That would be when he was riding up front together with Jumbo, as if one of them, so his 'we' was fairly wide-ranging.
    Mididoctors said above 'Too much yellow on peloton strips'; perhaps all the yellow confused Yates too.

Yates certainly was confused about one thing – in one interview he kept refering to Jumbo-Visma as Lotto-Visma!
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Mitch scott dont have the team to control like Jumbo do.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    edited September 2020
    jimmyjams said:

Perhaps if Michelton-Scott had tried to defend the yellow jersey, Jumbo wouldn't have felt the need to control things, or at least not so quickly. And thus not worn out Dumoulin, and not lost others quite so soon.

I also found it amusing that Yates said 'We had everything under control, especially in the steep climb'. That would be when he was riding up front together with Jumbo, as if one of them, so his 'we' was fairly wide-ranging.
    Mididoctors said above 'Too much yellow on peloton strips'; perhaps all the yellow confused Yates too.

Yates certainly was confused about one thing – in one interview he kept refering to Jumbo-Visma as Lotto-Visma!

Michelton-Scott defended the yellow jersey to perfection. The best placed rider in the break was Zakarin at over 16 minutes. He never got close to virtual yellow. Ensuring the break were far enough ahead to take the top 3 places on the stage for the bonus seconds meant Yates just needed to ensure that he came in with everyone else.

Edit: I expect their strategy to be exactly the same today.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Matti66 said:

Like a ‘donkey’ here?

yes
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

ddraver said:

As a massive potter fan (I am the perfect age for it) I put off reading The Cursed Child for 4 years.

Yesterday I saw it in a bargin bucket and thought..."why not?"

Today I discovered why not...

(Oh and cycling is happening)

Yeah I've not read that. Currently listening to the audio books as bedtime listening...
    @bobmcstuff
    Sorry, never replied as Pinot dropped off

I'd say you can rest assured that nothing of interest lies therin. I wonder if the audiobook is better as there is at least a performance element to it. As it's just a script the reader has to do a lot of world building imagination themselves. Plus some of the characters seem to not match up or even be parodies of themselves.

It's like reading a half decent fan fiction (not something I've done much of in general. Certain cycling variants included...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    jimmyjams said:

Perhaps if Michelton-Scott had tried to defend the yellow jersey, Jumbo wouldn't have felt the need to control things, or at least not so quickly. And thus not worn out Dumoulin, and not lost others quite so soon.

Jumbo have taken it on themselves to be the new Sky since before the race started and have been controlling things from day 1. The problem was that yesterday showed they aren't Sky 2.0 and despite having several options on paper they can't do the job when it counts. MS never went there with the intention of riding for GC but Yates still had two team mates there until late in the stage. He may be in yellow but the favourites are so tightly bunched they can't rely on the team of an outside bet to do the work.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    jimmyjams said:

So why does Pinot need an honour guard of the entire team??

One of them wearing a full on winter jacket, lol

FDJ have history in behaving so (the guard of honour, not the winter jacket) - a few years ago they did the same for Demare when he was dropped.
    I remember, and as I recall it was even more daft that time as didn't they all end up outside the time cut?

It's Marc Madiot being a fruitcake isn't it.