Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Saviour Sunday

Morning. Last shift luckily. Definitely winter ish out.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,056
    Had a nice run with hounds on the not so flats of south Shropshire.

Bbq breakfast, walk then pub is today’s plans
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    'ning

lazy start after much bubbly last night
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,665 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    traditional slow start is being had. Need to put up a curtain rail, other than that not much planned.
    One of the neighbours is a singer and put on a little performance last night in the front garden, we were watching from the road. It was bloody freezing. SG, Hoppy, HD and anyone else that's away, my recommendation is stay away this place isn't worth coming back to.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074

Morning folks,
    SG, Hoppy, HD and anyone else that's away, my recommendation is stay away this place isn't worth coming back to.

Unfortunately my mortgage and my job are in the UK. Also, as much as I like the idea of lurking and lazing in the shady warmth and wallowing in the crystal clear waters, I do have quite a low boredom threshold. I'd have to island hop a bit. Hmm, now there's an idea. Or maybe a motorcycle tour - I've seen a few brave souls on bikes, but it looks lethal.

Bloody hot today, which is a notch above incendio. Visited another museum on my own early this morning. Had the place to myself, wonderful. Beach etc this afternoon.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,737
    Clear blue skies here but nothing near incendio, scorchio, "oh deary me, it's a wee bit werum"*

Bread to bake, toots to entertain/feed, a bit of gardening to be done.
    Managed a roller sesh yesterday. Silly me.

I could give it all up and go to some sunny climb. Destination suggestions welcome. Not too arid, with hills and trees and school for toots 1 & 2.

*A general rule of thumb is that of the mercury hits 18deg here in Jockland, the moaning starts.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,721
    Currently sat in a grey and dismal 9 degrees almost shivering. Seriously wandering if early retirement or part time work is feasible. Getting to old at mid 50,s to nursemaid incompetents and idiots.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,426
    Iffy and undecided weather start to the day. Forecast was rotten, and even the radar loops looked ominous with a huge band of rain. Went walking in search of coffee, and thought it was suspiciously pleasant outside.

Went riding anyway, and had the joys of howling headwind and showers all the way back. Grrr.

Pizza for dinner.

Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS

Went riding anyway, and had the joys of howling headwind and showers all the way back. Grrr.

Well, that was a bit amateur. Unless geography dictated; headwind out, TWH.

the best if it is - you live there amongst all that and you come on here expecting sympathy?!

• WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,426
    pinno said:

Well, that was a bit amateur. Unless geography dictated; headwind out, TWH.

the best if it is - you live there amongst all that and you come on here expecting sympathy?!

Yeah that.

Plus, outbound was not bad, but post-coffee and biccie and chat at turnaround point the wind probably doubled in intensity just in time for the ride back.

Just bad timing.

Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • Picked up a cold from somewhere, either that or the loratadine isn't working anymore. Hope to go out for a ride pm if I can drag mrs DHL to the cooker in good time.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,970
    Domestic chores, inc kitchen floors, almost done so no more(s).

A mini patch of blue appeared momentarily...oh it's gone again. A mini pootle on the gravel, prob mud, bike to come this pm with Daughter #1 trying out her new MTB for the first time.

Oxo, life changes are doable if daunting. I chucked the corporate hamster wheel when I turned 50, had had a working lifetime of coping with numpties, a-holes and psychos, so it was a No More! call. Best call I ever made. Had I stayed in that life I reckon cardio exit within a rel short timeframe...

Picked up a cold from somewhere...

There's a lot of it about.
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778

SG, Hoppy, HD and anyone else that's away, my recommendation is stay away this place isn't worth coming back to.

sadly back in uk after a bubbly quaffing flight, i personally managed 6 mini bottles, 1.2 litres, hic

strolled off first, no delay at the egates, bike box and backpack were waiting for me as i reached the belt, trundled out and driver waiting, could be my fastest ever from plane to car at lhr

didn't feel it last night for some reason, but 'strewth it's cold now, august and the heating is set to 11, still trying to convince mrs s that an immediate flight somewhere warm and sunny is the answer

btw i heartily recommend the sennheiser momentum tw 2 earbuds, excellent sound on the sunbed and wallowing in the pool, and the noise cancelling on the flights worked well too
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,806
    Another good lie in had after staying up late watching the box. Dogs walked, lunch eaten, will do a few bits 'n' pieces and plan the week off that lies ahead.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,721
    Orraloon, my problem is I get so frustrated I end up doing the job myself. I've found the younger snowflake generation are quick to pass the buck or sorry can't do something for a multitude of reasons. Will have to see how the figures stack up.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    A glorious day wasted walking around some park and going to the shops, not even bike or diy shops.
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    sungod said:

... sadly back in uk after a bubbly quaffing flight, i personally managed 6 mini bottles, 1.2 litres,

... an immediate flight somewhere warm and sunny is the answer

... btw i heartily recommend the sennheiser momentum tw 2 earbuds, excellent sound on the sunbed and wallowing in the pool, and the noise cancelling on the flights worked well too
    Good quaffing.

Crete. Go Crete.

Ooh, I have the Sony wh1000 mx 3 over ears. They are not practical for lounging/lurking at all, though great for everything else. Might look into these sennheiser ones. Mrs H³ has the apple Air pod pros, I found them meh when I tried them.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Afternoon, busy day done, 50 mile ride out to Jordan's Mill (where they make Jordan's cereal etc). Rode through Ireland on the way back as you do, not the island, just a small village with the same name.
    Race telemetry done processing occuring.
    Certainly autumnal now long sleeves an 3/4 bibs were the way forward.

DHL has the lurgy, everyone hide!
  • pinno said:

Picked up a cold from somewhere...

There's a lot of it about.
    Not sure how I can catch a cold with all the cv19 precautions, Although I did go to the hairdressers yesterday. Pretty sure its allergies as its extreme light sensitivity. Any bright sunlight, even through a window, and my eyes stream and close up.
    Thread title seems more appropriate now we discover DHL is a vampire.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,970
    Pah. Vampires. Huh. I enjoy garlic me.

Pleasant afternoon pootle up on the Ridgeway. Not a big distance, but lot of effort with ruts, bumps, well slippery stuff. Different game innit.

Had a chat with this old guy heading the other way, he asked to check directions to get over and down to Abingdon, said he was headed there then Hadrians Wall... you wot, not tonight surely? Had set off from Chichester yesterday on a gravel oriented jaunt. Respeck.

Now is glass poured and stage 2 on the catch up.
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,590
    orraloon said:

Had a chat with this old guy heading the other way, he asked to check directions to get over and down to Abingdon, said he was headed there then Hadrians Wall... you wot, not tonight surely? Had set off from Chichester yesterday on a gravel oriented jaunt. Respeck.

Sounds like one of those rides where you just go out for half an hour but stay out all day (and get a bollocking from the other half).

Met an old guy like that on my commute once, he was heading to Coventry via Bushy Park. Reckoned he averaged 140 miles a day.
    Me did the first couch to 5k this evening. Not too strenuous but different muscles in my legs ached, knee a bit painful now so need to be careful. Moobs and nips are fine
    sungod said:

...still trying to convince mrs s that an immediate flight somewhere warm and sunny is the answer

Whatever is wrong with her?!