Gabba - washing advice (smelly)

Hi everyone,

My Gabba short sleeve jersey is a few years old now but still in excellent condition.

I wash at 40 degrees as instructed after every use, but find now that even after a short ride with everything fresh, it smells really badly to the point I can get a whiff of it even before the ride is over!

I don't have this with any of my other cycling tops, be it base layers or jerseys.
I was thinking of giving it a higher temp wash but I'm afraid of ruining it - has anyone had the same experience?

In fairness I think its time to buy a new one anyway, but if I can rejuvenate this one and keep using it too I will as it seems a real shame as its in great condition otherwise.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,266
    I have a 4 years old Gabba and it doesn't smell. It gets washed maybe 10 times over the winter season, as I am quite happy to wear it a few times before it goes in the laundry.
    Maybe it smells because you hang it somewhere where it can't dry properly, poor ventilation or something... sometimes it happens to my cotton T-shirts in the mid season when it's too cold to have the windows open, but not cold enough to have the heating on.
    left the forum March 2023
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    I think (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone) that 40 degrees doesn't actually kill the bacteria, just washes off whatever they've produced that smells.

You either have to wash it much hotter (not really an option) or add something to kill the bacteria like dettol sport wash, or miofresh or napisan if you have a kid about.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    Have you used a sports wash, such as Halo, which are specifically designed to remove body odours from sports clothing?
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533

Have you used a sports wash, such as Halo, which are specifically designed to remove body odours from sports clothing?

Didn't even know there was such a thing.
    Strange that it hasn't happened to any other of my cycling apparel.
    Maybe its something to do with the coating on the Gabba that it holds the bacteria more than a normal jersey would?

Either way, i'll definitely have a look at the few products mentioned above and give them a try to see how I get on, sounds like it could be a winner....would still like a new Gabba but will have the luxury to wait until I find one on sale if I can keep this one in action!

Thanks for all the replies and advice - very much appreciated.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    bsharp77 said:

Didn't even know there was such a thing.
    Strange that it hasn't happened to any other of my cycling apparel.
    Maybe its something to do with the coating on the Gabba that it holds the bacteria more than a normal jersey would?
    I've got some synthetic tops that get well used (cycling, hiking and running) and none smell apart from one which has started recently :confused: I usually stick everything straight in the wash when I get in to try and stop it stinking.

I hadn't heard of the sports wash stuff either, I think I'll give it a go too.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Old Helly Hansen Lifa tops get like this eventually. Usually after 10 years or so.

Thing is, they're virtually indestructible so there are plenty of smelly vintage ones around.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Halo seems to get pretty good reviews.

Available for £4 on Sainsburys if you have one close by - cheapest by a long shot from what I can find online.
    Might take a pop over at the weekend and see if they have it in my local store.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Halo for all cycling kit at 30c that stuff is magic
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    We've been using Halo for 5/6 years now for all our sports washes, and I've Zwifted a lot in that time!
    Wiggle stock it most of the time, and just bought 3 x 1l for under £18 on Amazon.