SRAM SX versus Shimano Deore

Hi, I have only ever used bikes with Shimano gear on, and never had any issues.
I am currently riding a Saracen Mantra Trail with a Deore 2x10 set up
I am thinking of trying a full suspension bike, and several that I am looking at are running on SRAM SX eagle 1x12 set ups.

I was wondering if the SX gear is as reliable and robust as my Deore, and before that, Acera.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited August 2020
    I too have only ever used Shimano set ups. A Buddy has a Sram NX 11 speed set up, neither of us have any complaints.

No first hand experience about 12 speeds or the SX groupset but reckon it's not bad and the only weak point I've read about is the SX derailleur being made of plastic and is not so good and could fail with hard use.

The extra weight of SX or NX cassettes compared to high end Sram stuff wouldn't bother me either.

I'll probably stay with Shimano drivetrains as I personally think they perform better but wouldn't be put off by buying a bike with Sram groupset and if the SX derailleur had issues I'd upgrade to an NX mech if needed.

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I've got 12 speed SX, my first 1x and also my first foray into SRAM. I like 12 speed and 1x but not overly impressed with SX. In fairness it hasn't failed me and shifting is mainly OKish but not slick.... I'm a roadie use to Campagnolo and Ultegra... both excellent. When it packs up, and it will, I'll change the RD to Shimano.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I have used all except 1 x 11 Shimano currently still on Sram Eagle 12 x 1 which has certainly made it easier for to select gear. Overall I think they are all good from mid range upwards.
    So Far!
  • loltoride said:

I have used all except 1 x 11 Shimano currently still on Sram Eagle 12 x 1 which has certainly made it easier for to select gear. Overall I think they are all good from mid range upwards.

Thanks.
    Are you using SX or a higher range? I'm only a little concerned if SX proves to be unreliable. I'm not too hard on gear, and am considering the same bike for my wife too. I don't want two bikes with longevity issues.