From Siena to Il Lombardia: 4 Italian race *Spoilers*

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Alberto Bettiol grinding it out. Refusing to give up. True grit. Fighting back repeatedly. Ought to be dropped for good soon though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    WVA has it in the bag I'd expect. The heat made the race too punishing for fireworks.
  • WVA cramp in 10......9......8.... :D
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    A battle on the final km would have been nice, but enjoyed that.
  • m.r.m.
    Glad cycling is back. This wasn't a great edition. Happy for WVA. Rode a good race and was brave enough to chase the correct attacks and grab it by the horns.
  • Only caught the last twenty km, but enjoyed that.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Good win for WvA. Good to see some proper racing again (even if Eurosport Player did their best to void it).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Decent race that.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited August 2020
    Good on you WvA.

Had it as "radio" from 30 - 5 kms or so and realised that I had somehow rewound my feed when I cringed at a pathetic joke and then thought, "Hang on! I've cringed at that pathetic joke before..." so I missed the whittling down of the main group, but caught the main move
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Really enjoyed this. Great ride by WvA.

Damn it's good to have racing back!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    A few tech observations...
    WvA on rim brakes and some pretty shallow wheels.
    MvdP on the old Aeroad as far as I could tell.
    Bettiol seemed to have the Spidering crankset rather than the jobbie with the power meter that the high end Supersixes come with (he possibly objected to paying the fee to make it work??)
    Alaphillipe's Tarmac didn't look that good with the random rear wheel he'd picked up from somewhere.
    Thought the Astana Wilier looked pretty smart.
    Anyone spot anything else?
  • rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

A few tech observations...
    WvA on rim brakes and some pretty shallow wheels.
    MvdP on the old Aeroad as far as I could tell.
    Bettiol seemed to have the Spidering crankset rather than the jobbie with the power meter that the high end Supersixes come with (he possibly objected to paying the fee to make it work??)
    Alaphillipe's Tarmac didn't look that good with the random rear wheel he'd picked up from somewhere.
    Thought the Astana Wilier looked pretty smart.
    Anyone spot anything else?

Spotted the same.

Couple things on WvA bike - was a suggestion on the Belgian coverage he was a bit intimidated by the final climb hence the choice of rim brakes (weight) and he put in an extra low gear for it too.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Some sort of post race niggle between QS and Bettiol, with the nipper Remco tweeting (and later deleting) that ‘...Wolfpack will never let Bettiol race again...’.

Which is a bit daft.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Thought Bettiol was good value in that race too.

Interesting MvdP finished 15th over 10 mins down.

Absolute slaughter of a race.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Only 42 finishers. That heat was brutal.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Will be interesting to hear Mitch Docker's take on the race and heat in Life in the Peloton, assuming etc etc
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    gweeds said:

Some sort of post race niggle between QS and Bettiol, with the nipper Remco tweeting (and later deleting) that ‘...Wolfpack will never let Bettiol race again...’.

Which is a bit daft.

Hes reportedly said a couple things recently that suggest he needs reigning in a bit.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    gsk82 said:

gweeds said:

Which is a bit daft.

Hes reportedly said a couple things recently that suggest he needs reigning in a bit.
    An Italian with temperament? No? 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Well how many Flanders winners does QS have on their roster?
  • The Lombard Grand Triptych 2020
    The health emergency has also had a great impact on the world of professional cycling race organizers.
    The upheaval of the world calendar has led to the repositioning of all UCI international competitions in a very limited period of time, with the inevitable overlapping of illustrious competitions.
    The three historic races of the Lombardy Region Triptych (Tre Valli Varesine, Coppa Bernocchi and Coppa Agostoni) exceptionally for 2020, have given rise to the Lombard Large Triptych Committee, promoter of the cycling competition of the same name included in the UCI ProSeries calendar.
    The Gran Trittico Lombardo will therefore be played in a single race, which will touch the pivotal points of the route: departure from Legnano, travel to Lissone and arrival in Varese.

Gran Trittico Lombardo (1.Pro) » Legnano › Varese (202.7k)

8 WT teams taking part, including Ineos, Movistar, Astana and Trek.
    As is usual these days, few teams are announcing starters until the last minute.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gran-trittico-lombardo/2020/startlist

Top dogs taking part so far: Nibali, GVA, Kwiatkowski, Moscon, Lutsenko and Bouhanni.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540

I thought I heard on commentary that MvdP punctured. That said, it was Carlton so it could have happened in his head.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154

I love the difference in profile presentations - on looks like a climber's stage, the other a reduced sprint stage
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    Pross said:

I thought I heard on commentary that MvdP punctured. That said, it was Carlton so it could have happened in his head.
    No, MvdP and Alpecin confirmed it. MvdP also admitted to having a bad moment, but stated he felt good at the time of the puncture. Hard to say if it's just damage control or he was genuinely unable to be there in the finale.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    From what I've read, he overdid it when getting back on after his puncture, and wasn't able to respond to the moves on the next section of sterrato.
  • RichN95. said:

I love the difference in profile presentations - on looks like a climber's stage, the other a reduced sprint stage
    A course for all types.

Previous winners.

2019 ROGLIČ Primož
    2018 SKUJIŅŠ Toms
    2017 GENIEZ Alexandre
    2016 COLBRELLI Sonny
    2015 NIBALI Vincenzo

Thibaut Pinot twice second in '17 '18.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    QS suggested that Allaphillipe had 6 punctures. Also reported that VdP needed a bucket at the finish.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

QS suggested that Allaphillipe had 6 punctures. Also reported that VdP needed a bucket at the finish.

Was it not GVA that needed a bucket?
  • m.r.m.
    edited August 2020
    Bucket of what? Water? Ice? Empty bucket with slight amount of water for after a bender?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited August 2020
    Fastest last 25km times from Strava. Note who is 3rd.

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    m.r.m. said:

Bucket of what? Water? Ice? Empty bucket with slight amount of water for after a censored ?

I assumed an empty bucket for him to put something into
    Twitter: @RichN95