Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Hambini. An utter tool?

13»

• neilrobinsneilrobins Posts: 102
    Whether you enjoy, agree, dislike his presenting style I doubt he cares. His debunking of mythology within cycling is worth the watch. As with some other posters I always thought threaded BB were better until he pointed out that they were also pushfit (within an threaded housing) it made me reevaluate my own frame and components. It can be a hard watch (I own a Cervelo and Zipp wheels) but worse is the manufacturing censored that we put up with and never argue.
  • amrushtonamrushton Posts: 930
    owner of my local bike shop has 2 of Hambinis BB's and really rates them. he bought one for his own bike then immediately bought another. I enjoy the vlogs and he can get wearing but the recurring theme is if the bikes were made properly he wouldnt be able to say anything. The Canyon with the sign off sheet was good, the OPEN and the companies lack of response is enlightening - I thought they were supposed to be good. Then there is the bike speak by makers who claim X and Y and he highlights the science that refutes the claim
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,284
    Whilst he can be vulgar, he never says anything that cannot be backed by sound engineering practices or knowledge. Just considering do I need to get one of his BB,s.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,250
    oxoman said:

Whilst he can be vulgar, he never says anything that cannot be backed by sound engineering practices or knowledge. Just considering do I need to get one of his BB,s.

Just skim-watched the one on the OPEN U.P. frame. Hmm.

Think I'm going to disagree with you Oxo on a few things. He says plenty in that video that indicates either laziness or lack of honesty or both.

The QC information is perhaps useful, but would have been a lot more credible if he'd done all that measuring and assessment on a new frame, not one that's had (how many?) BB's installed and removed several times already, by person or persons unknown, qualified, skilled and with right equipment, or not. The carbon voids issue is serious, but not a single picture or actual test image result in the video? Just "my NDT guy"... found this? Curious he'll show OPEN's website on screen being scrolled, but not a hint of anything to back up the actual claims he's making? Why?

The funny part was his final fix, and satisfaction that he's made the frame usable by fitting his own BB. He hasn't. He's f**ked it. :D

He has rendered the frame impossible to build up. Neither the rear brake hose line nor the derailleur cables are fitted on that frame, and the BB cable guide plate is installed. He's demo'd with Shimano (double) cranks, so probably not a wireless groupset. Once you install the BB, especially one like that with the full width tube, you're stuffed trying to do those things.

Trust me, I have two Open frames, I know this. :)

You have to pull all his work *out* of the frame and start again. Good luck with that.

I'd also be very wary of claims that the owner contacted Open, and got "no response". I've emailed them a few times over the years, and been more than a little surprised that I've had responses pretty fast, and pretty comprehensively to queries about parts, assembly procedures, geometry queries and more. And I am *not* an original owner of a frame.

I'd assume there was a response from OPEN, just perhaps not the one the owner wanted. But it's a better story to say they just didn't respond at all, no?

He may be a good engineer, and the actual technical stuff he's on about is fine. Maybe his BB's are very good devices. Just don't let him install it. And don't believe everything he says (or doesn't say). DYOR for sure.
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • wongataawongataa Posts: 922

Think I'm going to disagree with you Oxo on a few things. He says plenty in that video that indicates either laziness or lack of honesty or both.

The QC information is perhaps useful, but would have been a lot more credible if he'd done all that measuring and assessment on a new frame, not one that's had (how many?) BB's installed and removed several times already, by person or persons unknown, qualified, skilled and with right equipment, or not.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to change the alignment of the holes on each side. If it did there would be noticeable damage to the bearing shells. The poor alignment is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to make the hole the bearing fits in too small either. That is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings is not going to make the hole the bearing fits in too big without noticeable damage to the hole. No damage, that is how the frame came from the factory.

These BB bearing fit and alignment issues are from the factory.
  • shortfallshortfall Posts: 3,242
    Just watched his Cervelo video! Jeez the guy's got some balls to say what he does, regardless of whether he's right about the quality of their engineering and QC (which he almost certainly is).
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,250
    wongataa said:

The QC information is perhaps useful, but would have been a lot more credible if he'd done all that measuring and assessment on a new frame, not one that's had (how many?) BB's installed and removed several times already, by person or persons unknown, qualified, skilled and with right equipment, or not.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to change the alignment of the holes on each side. If it did there would be noticeable damage to the bearing shells. The poor alignment is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings isn't going to make the hole the bearing fits in too small either. That is from the factory.

Installing and extracting bearings is not going to make the hole the bearing fits in too big without noticeable damage to the hole. No damage, that is how the frame came from the factory.

These BB bearing fit and alignment issues are from the factory.
    All true. The alignment issue is certainly disappointing from a manufacturer.

But this was a frame that had been built up, and ridden, and (if I understood correctly) even had one of Hambini’s BB’s installed but that hadn’t fixed the problem, which is why he had it back in the shop. Just fitting and removing bearings won’t change things much, but riding it (for how long? Didn’t say I think) with bearings/cups that aren’t a good fit will certainly wear the shell, far enough to be out of tolerance? Certainly out of round, which was one of the things he said was an issue.

You might be correct and it’s all factory poor QC. There’s a chance that not all the issues he highlights are that however.

And the frame still can’t be reassembled with his BB already in it.

Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS