Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Zone 6: the hill climb thread

12346»

• joe2019joe2019 Posts: 976

Does every hill you go up end in an everesting?

What d'you think?

• Quite. Why bother?
  • joe2019 said:

Anything less than an Everest is a cop out anyway. Why bother?

They have come up with this Basecamp challenge... for me it was interesting as I quickly worked out it would take me around 7 hours, which is more or less as much daylight as we have this time of the year. If I managed to do every lap in 15-16 minutes, then I should have been able to beat the sunset, factoring in 7 short breaks. It turned out a bit slower... I was hoping for a dry descent, given the wind, but at best we had a few dry patches to brake on (conveniently just before the bends). On a summer day, you can save almost a minute downhill, that's nearly half an hour saved!
    Going up, I was hoping to keep every ascent between 11 and 12 minutes, I only managed 3 ascents at that pace, most of them around the 13 minute mark...

After 12 ascents, mentally I had already packed in... 13-15 got really slow, previous 3 laps took 49 minutes, those took 54... I did lap 16 only to clock 3,000 of climbing and bring home something...
    That said, W12 Lad who did it with me went on until after sunset and finished... he does a century ride a week, so he's quite used to suffer long hours on the bike. Last long ride I did was December 2019.

Best news is my knees didn't bother me at all and even this morning my legs are fine... it's all in the head, these challenges are mostly mind over matter and you really have to want it bad...

If only there was a woven badge for it... ;)
  • joe2019joe2019 Posts: 976
    Fair enough, never heard of the Basecamp challenge. Well done for having a go.

You're right, they are definitely a mind over matter thing.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,689
    edited December 2020
    A bit of cheer in the gloom... 2021 National Hill Climb has been announced... October 31st up Winnats pass... the theatre of pain...

Hope to qualify, somehow I think it'll be harder to get a place

https://www.facebook.com/WinNats21/
  • crossedcrossed Posts: 231

I read an article on Andrew Feather, who won the National and whom I follow on Strava. Just as I thought, his training is unstructured, basically he goes for a couple of hours ride most days and hits a couple of climbs really hard... he doesn't do indoor stuff, he doesn't do crazy reps and pyramid intervals, he doesn't follow religiously a diet and doesn't eat the latest miracle protein source... I'm kind of pleased that my attitude to training is somewhat endorsed by the best in the game.
    Of course he has a VO2 Max of 81 ml/kg min, so he will always be good no matter what, but it's good to see training doesn't have to be something to dread

Where was the article?
    Sounds like it could be intersting to read.
  • crossedcrossed Posts: 231

I read an article on Andrew Feather, who won the National and whom I follow on Strava. Just as I thought, his training is unstructured, basically he goes for a couple of hours ride most days and hits a couple of climbs really hard... he doesn't do indoor stuff, he doesn't do crazy reps and pyramid intervals, he doesn't follow religiously a diet and doesn't eat the latest miracle protein source... I'm kind of pleased that my attitude to training is somewhat endorsed by the best in the game.
    Of course he has a VO2 Max of 81 ml/kg min, so he will always be good no matter what, but it's good to see training doesn't have to be something to dread

Where was the article?
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 25,689
    crossed said:

Where was the article?
    Cycling weekly... I didn't actually read it all, just the bit that was posted on social media by Andrew Feather, but it did include a fair bit... basically two full pages
  • wavefrontwavefront Posts: 223
    The Magnificent 7 hill climb race around Sheffield has predictably been postponed till late summer / Autumn. Which means, should it actually go ahead, it it should be much nicer conditions than the traditional March! It’ll also provide a good warm up event for the hill climb season - Can’t wait!