Upgrading stock wheels

Hi, can anyone give some advice on upgrading stock bontrager wheels on a trek Madone 2.1 aluminum. Don’t want to spend mega cash but get something that will be noticeably different. Think budget is around 4/500. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you are looking at factory wheels then the Campagnolo Zonda's for around £400 are a good bet (they do Shimano compatible versions in case you're wondering)

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-c17-wheelset/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360776622&kpid=5360776622&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sWawYinbH_dc|mcrid|295270531587|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360776622uk|mslid||&mkwid=sWawYinbH_dc&pcrid=295270531587&prd=5360776622uk&pgrid=60973737802&ptaid=pla-576454152687&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoPL2BRDxARIsAEMm9y-KMYzxT6hJPA_UdElMZqA-JBlK9MiX3tg6xRl3FP_2NtldJP558k0aAvtIEALw_wcB

You can also get some handbuilts within your budget eg these from Malcolm at Cycleclinic

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/borg31-wheelset

I have a set of his Miche/Archetype wheels and they've been excellent.
  • eavesy31
    eavesy31 Posts: 38
    I’ve looked at the campags a few times I think the past particularly like the rear spoke set up. The hand made option is something I didn’t know existed if I’m honest !
  • eavesy31
    Is it easy enough to fit the cassette onto the rear wheel ?
  • eavesy31
    So going tubeless or not is something I have no idea about apart from I assume if you have a puncture your dead 💀 any advice appreciated please
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    eavesy31 said:

So going tubeless or not is something I have no idea about apart from I assume if you have a puncture your dead 💀 any advice appreciated please

No, if you go tubeless you'd be silly not to put sealant into your tyres, which means you can get small punctures and they'll seal up without you even noticing.... There's videos on YouTube showing tests of riding over things from pins to 3inch nails and the tyres sealing.... You can carry rubber worms to fix big punctures, but you'll prob need to use a co2 pump "on the road" as the tyre will need reseating and you'll never do that with a manual pump!!!

Tubeless is the way to go imo, it's less faff and you never get punctures (just top up sealant every 2 months as it dries out).... Only time you ever need to remove a tyre is to replace it. Plus you can run lower pressures so it's much more comfortable on the road and grippier.
  • eavesy31
    Sounds great. If I was to use the cycle clinic will they prepare the wheels with tyres already fitted ? I have used the C02 pump but would defo need to educate myself on sealants and repelling tyres etc.....
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    eavesy31 said:

Sounds great. If I was to use the cycle clinic will they prepare the wheels with tyres already fitted ? I have used the C02 pump but would defo need to educate myself on sealants and repelling tyres etc.....

Yes they will.

Send Malcolm an email with your requirements and budget. He's a good guy who you will see posts on here frequently.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Just watch out with going tubeless that using co2 to inflate the tyre is recommended to be a temporary thing (i.e. to repair a big hole out on the road).... It can freeze some sealants and some sealants claim to be broken down by co2. Obviously check the sealant recommendations.