S-Works Tarmac SL2 (2009) super commuter project

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited August 2020 in Your road bikes
Hello
Recently I got chatting with the husband of one of my wife's mum friends as he's also into cycling.

After asking me what bike I had he mentioned he had a Tarmac frame in his loft, as it's too small for him. I told him if he ever wanted rid of it, I'd happily take it off his hands.

Skip forward a few months and I get a message along the lines of "having a clear out, here's some pics of that Tarmac I've got.

Turns out it's a 54cm S-Works Tarmac SL2 from 2009. So this weekend I picked it up for the lovely sum of £0.

Plans are:
Get the chainstay repaired
Repaint
Take all the bits off my winter/commuter Allez and use this as a winter/commuting/starter race bike (Mavic Ksyrium Elites, Ultegra 6800 and a few S-Works bits)

Hopefully it's going to be around the 7kg mark and should be a lot nicer to ride than the Allez.

Firstly I gave it a weigh, as it's a naked frame:

Then stuck my Roval CL50s on it for a laugh

Next up it's off to be repaired.
Updates when there is some!

Comments

• darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited June 2020
    Nice frame for zero ££££.
    This is my one that I’m also building as a commuter but it wasn’t a freebie and I think it’s a couple of years newer than yours.
    The barrel adjusters need replacing so where are you sending yours for the repairs??
  • dannbodge
    @darrell1967 not decided yet.

Getting a quote from all the main players. Will be carbon bike repair, target composites, carbon fibre solutions or Re-Carb.
  • dannbodge
    Frame went off the carbon fibre solutions the other day and should be back in a couple of weeks.

In the mean time I sanded down the forks

Turns out there is 45g of paint on them.

When the frame gets back it will get the same treatment
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Sanding wise what did you use? I have a frame I started sanding but its taking forever to get through the clear coat.
  • dannbodge
    step83 said:

Sanding wise what did you use? I have a frame I started sanding but its taking forever to get through the clear coat.

Started with 120 wet and dry (wet) and once broken through the clear I switched to 240 wet

There wasn't a whole lot of paint on there which helps
  • dannbodge
    Finished working out what design it's getting painted. Now to decide on accent colour. Probably going with the aqua as I've already got the supacaz bar tape.

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    If it were me, I'd go for a nice bright metallic colour (i.e. the aqua you like) for the frame and forks with a simple s-works downtube sticker and leave it at that..... That paint job just seems very stock and a bit boring.
  • dannbodge
    That's because it is a stock paintjob, it's from a S-Works SL5, just with different accent colours.

I'm struggling to find a solid paint scheme that I like and kept coming back to this. I might reconsider doing a fade like the S-Works crux instead.

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    dannbodge said:

step83 said:

Started with 120 wet and dry (wet) and once broken through the clear I switched to 240 wet

There wasn't a whole lot of paint on there which helps
    May explain it, I started with 400 grit!

Paint wise, the Aqua could look good but well worth looking at other paint jobs, have a look at Velocraft, Paintmybike, Kustom Flow, fat creations.
    Probikedesign do a lot of custom specialized's over in the US
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Are you doing all the prep yourself readying it for the sprayjob.
  • dannbodge

Are you doing all the prep yourself readying it for the sprayjob.

I'm doing it all myself, the prep, painting and rebuild.
  • junglist_matty
    Good luck painting all the accents yourself (unless you can get a sticker pack somewhere), it's really hard to get a good finish, let alone a perfect finish unless you have access to professional paints, equipment and workshop.

All the more reason I'd stick to one colour, make it bright and standout, then use solid black finishing kit, and a black sworks tube sticker.
  • dannbodge
    Already got the logos and the rest I'll be masking up by hand, I spent a long time when I was younger masking up model cars and painting graphics, so it should be alright.

I'm fairly competent when it comes to painting, The finish I got on my Allez is as good as any other factory finish I've seen:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13086033/specialized-allez-winter-turbo-commuter-build#latest
  • junglist_matty
    dannbodge said:

Already got the logos and the rest I'll be masking up by hand, I spent a long time when I was younger masking up model cars and painting graphics, so it should be alright.

I'm fairly competent when it comes to painting, The finish I got on my Allez is as good as any other factory finish I've seen:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13086033/specialized-allez-winter-turbo-commuter-build#latest

Fair enough.... How has the paint on your other project bike held up? I found aerosol paints (mainly the lacquer) very soft and not hard-wearing enough for a bike (chips so easily).... Good luck!
  • dannbodge

dannbodge said:

Fair enough.... How has the paint on your other project bike held up? I found aerosol paints (mainly the lacquer) very soft and not hard-wearing enough for a bike (chips so easily).... Good luck!
    It's been alright, got a couple of chips on the top tube where I've dropped Allen keys etc on it, apart from that it's actually alright considering it doesn't get looked after and I only used cheap spray paint.

I might get this one lacquered by a garage (depending on how much it costs)
  • dannbodge
    Change if plan.
    Decided I'm not happy with those paint schemes, so back to the drawing board (well Photoshop)
  • Have you ever seen an all black bike and not liked it?
    Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc 0 2021
    Nukeproof Digger Comp 2021
    YT Capra Pro Race 29 2018
    Genesis Tour de Fer 2018
    All City Big Block SS 2020
    Giant Defy Adv 1 2016
  • dannbodge

Have you ever seen an all black bike and not liked it?

All the time. I like bright colour ones. Black on black on black is just a fad
  • dannbodge
    edited June 2020
    Finished the new design
    Seeing as I nearly bought the acid mint SL6 I thought I'd do the same kind of design on this but in a different colour

• Probably not what you're after, but this guys own paint-job really impressed me.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/350217/#comment15382719

Dunno how he's achieved the effect, but I likes....

(I'd have gone with the yellow-lining outline as he suggests...)
  • dannbodge

Probably not what you're after, but this guys own paint-job really impressed me.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/350217/#comment15382719

Dunno how he's achieved the effect, but I likes....

(I'd have gone with the yellow-lining outline as he suggests...)

That's a cracking paintjob, personally I'm not a fan but can appreciate it!
    Definitely needed yellow solid letters.
  • dannbodge
    Still waiting to get the frame back from the repairer. Not overly happy with him tbh, great communication before he got the job then it's dropped off hugely.

Had to ring him, leave a voicemail, two emails and a Facebook message before I got a reply 3 weeks ago. It really shouldn't be that hard should it?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,252
    The "damage" to the chain stay was something you could fix yourself with a bit of sand paper and a touch of lacquer
    left the forum March 2023
  • dannbodge

The "damage" to the chain stay was something you could fix yourself with a bit of sand paper and a touch of lacquer

I don't think it would be, the cuts were very deep and It had carbon splintering and flaking off. It wasn't just paint.
  • Looking forward to seeing this finished. Fantastic quality of finish on the Allez as well.
    Where did you get the decals from? I'm planning on refreshing my old kinesis soon so am on the lookout for some.
    Also, did you wet sand the masked areas down prior to lacquering to remove any ridges/relief etc?
    Cheers
  • dannbodge
    jeffbwood said:

Looking forward to seeing this finished. Fantastic quality of finish on the Allez as well.
    Where did you get the decals from? I'm planning on refreshing my old kinesis soon so am on the lookout for some.
    Also, did you wet sand the masked areas down prior to lacquering to remove any ridges/relief etc?
    Cheers

The Allez ones were from eBay but they aren't the correct size. I've bought a set from here: https://www.graphicsdirect.com/
    For both the Allez and this Tarmac. I've also got a few from Etsy in different sizes as graphics direct weren't offering custom sizes due to Covid.

Nope, peeled the decals off, wiped it all down with brake cleaner to remove any sticky residue then just cleared over the top.
    If you put enough coats on heavy enough then it all finds its own level and you get no ridges.
  • Thanks for the reply @dannbodge. I'd pretty much narrowed my options down to graphicsdirect so that's good to hear.
  • dannbodge
    Finally got the frame back from being repaired. Very happy with the repair, just not the service I received but never mind.

Next up is make sure my current wheel/tyre combo, mudguards and turbo trainer fit, then I'll get on prepping it for paint!

• bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Hi dabnnbodge,

Absolutely love the new paint scheme - if you can replicate that it will look amazing!

If you really wanted to go all out, you could use a orange candy pearl paint which would really be a finishing touch (perfectpearlsandpaints.co.uk).

Just for reference if you ever need graphics, search for sticky business on eBay - Adam has made me custom sized graphics and spray templates for my Boardman and S-Works and really couldn't have been more helpful and at a good price too.

Cant wait to see the finished product.
  • dannbodge
    bsharp77 said:

Hi dabnnbodge,

Absolutely love the new paint scheme - if you can replicate that it will look amazing!

If you really wanted to go all out, you could use a orange candy pearl paint which would really be a finishing touch (perfectpearlsandpaints.co.uk).

Just for reference if you ever need graphics, search for sticky business on eBay - Adam has made me custom sized graphics and spray templates for my Boardman and S-Works and really couldn't have been more helpful and at a good price too.

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Hopefully I'll get it somewhere near.
    I've already got the paint, so won't be doing any fancy finishes now.

I need a few more made (serial numbers etc) so I'll drop him a message