Forum home Road cycling forum Cyclocross

Tannus tyre inserts or Tyre invaders.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,859
Probably the wrong place to ask, but ask I will.
Currently running my TCX with tubes as using it more as a XC or heavy duty gravel bike. All my other bikes are tubeless except this one and not looking to buy new TR wheels yet. Had some heavy hits and resulted in pinch flats even though running high pressures, normally catching sharp edges or big stones when hammering it. Looking at Tannus inserts or the Effetto tyre invaders, has anybody used these at all. Currently running smart sams 42,s on giant S-X2 wheels. Advice welcomed. Being used on easier red trails like Sherwood and parts of cannock and natural stuff in the peak district and occasionally the odd beginner CX race.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 24,665
    Tannus inserts will inevitably take the joy out of riding your bicycle. If you pinch flat, then you need more pressure... the fact that someone runs 30 PSI and gets away with it, doesn't mean you will. Try 50.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,859
    Ugo the problem I have is, some of the trails are hardpack gravel then onto slightly looser or softer stuff along with sharp edges stones or boulders. If I'm on my MTB I get away with it because I'm running bigger tyres etc. Because I'm running smaller tyres on my CX I'm not and I'm trying to get a happy P free medium that stops this. Because I'm fortunate i ride straight from home, ideally don't want to be adjusting tyre pressures mid ride and again on a return journey. Didn't want to buy another set of tubeless wheels just yet either. Thanks for the reply as well.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 24,665
    That's always been the issue... do I keep 20 PSI, but then are unable to ride on tarmac, or do I keep 60 PSI but then I have no traction on the soft ground? My happy medium on 32 CX tyres was around 30-35, at 68-70 kg... you just have to find your happy medium.
    The problem with those inserts is that they are basically a much bigger version of what Marathon plus have between the rubber and the carcass, which numbs the ride completely... those inserts can only be a lot worse and I suspect they will give you awkward handling of corners at low pressure too.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 7,859
    Cheers for that, suspect I will have to suck it up till I get new tubeless wheels.