The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

david37 said:

Big pet peeve currently; when i'm out giving the toddler a run around in the local paid for garden.

We go as early as possible to avoid the crowds and for the most part it's absolutely fine.

Only you'll get couples with children of their own heading over to wherever your toddler is playing and *encouraging* their kids to play where yours is.

I mean FFS. F*ck off somewhere else till we're done. They're toddlers; they move on within 5 minutes but if you try to move them before they're done you get 10 minutes of tantrums and then it's even harder to socially distance.

I hear your pain. Ive found that being a sixteen stone skin head with a scar that a quick F off usually keeps people away :D
    That may not be a vible option for Rick :)

Although I'm turning clippers on my bonce this weekend coming. Just hope I don't lose a front tooth as I did last May just after I got my first skinhead cut. That said, it was a great combo for encouraging social distancing :smiley:
    Missed a visit to the barbers in December as well?

Sneaked one in at the start of December when I got wind of tier 4 IIRC but I much prefer short hair as mine is very fine.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've not had a haircut since February 2020.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    elbowloh said:

Likewise. Jan 2020 for me.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Cue ball is the way forward.
    Other value balls are available, depending.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    If you haven't had a haircut for some time don't get it cut now, it's absolutelyfuckingfreezing. Wife has been doing mine since lockdown 1, breaking her pelvis in October made standing painful so I didn't have a haircut until last week. Like Ross my hair grows out rather than down which is good for insulation but gets rather unkempt. I need to wear a hat to go outside now.
  • elbowloh said:

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

If you haven't had a haircut for some time don't get it cut now, it's absolutelyfuckingfreezing. Wife has been doing mine since lockdown 1, breaking her pelvis in October made standing painful so I didn't have a haircut until last week. Like Ross my hair grows out rather than down which is good for insulation but gets rather unkempt. I need to wear a hat to go outside now.

Lol

I’ll give your haircut a mark out of ten when I next see you !!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Some time in 2013 for me
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Not been on the thread for a while.

Is baldness a symptom of covid now?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

Not been on the thread for a while.

Is baldness a symptom of covid now?

In which case I caught in my late teens
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My whole life I never really found a hairstyle that a) I liked the look of and b) took zero maintenance.
    So it's been the clippers (No. 2 - 1 just looks really nasty) for the last 15 years or so.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I normally have a 5 at the sides and back. This is me this morning

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    edited January 2021
    The expected weekend bump from Scotland and Wales reporting their cases on Monday has not happened. Don't know if they are yet to report or they just didn't do much.

After a few days good acceleration we are starting to slack off. Boris needs to make some outlandish claims in a press conference to focus some minds.

Currently trending towards 11 million by mid Feb, which would put us around 2 weeks behind schedule.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited January 2021
    pangolin said:

The expected weekend bump from Scotland and Wales reporting their cases on Monday has not happened. Don't know if they are yet to report or they just didn't do much.

After a few days good acceleration we are starting to slack off. Boris needs to make some outlandish claims in a press conference to focus some minds.

Currently trending towards 11 million by mid Feb, which would put us around 2 weeks behind schedule.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

The bump did happen - Scotland reported 40,151 and Wales reported 25,362 for 17th Jan. England reported 154,564.

It may well be a reporting issue again, but for England this time. That does show all nations lower for the three days including the weekend than the previous days though.
  • pangolin
    Ah yes - just spotted the 'by nation' toggle, thanks
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • how do we feel about the regional discrepancies?

I guess we need to know more about why but my instinct is not to penalise those doing well and let the stats pile pressure on the under achievers
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

how do we feel about the regional discrepancies?

I guess we need to know more about why but my instinct is not to penalise those doing well and let the stats pile pressure on the under achievers

As someone else said, it could be down to where there are higher proportions of people over 80 or living in care so if, for example, coastal areas of Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset are doing well whilst Central London isn't that might explain it.

It doesn't explain why Wales and Scotland are lagging though and everything I've heard so far is pointing at lack of supply being the limiting factor. There was one GP this morning saying they had been doing 2000 per week but only managed 300 last week due to supplies with 800 being expected this week. This could be a sign that supplies are being diverted to those areas that are lagging behind and / or that those doin well so far have been getting the lion's share to date.
  • Week 1 registered deaths were 45% higher than the 2015-2019 average.

Here's this "flu season".

• Also interesting -

Deaths involving COVID-19 (any mention on the death certificate) 6,057
    of which, deaths due to COVID-19 (underlying cause) 5,367

• pangolin
    Apparently 10% of people in the UK had antibodies in December, obviously we hadn't done many vaccinations then so it would mostly be from actually having the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55718213
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Matt Hancock is back in isolation.
    i'm interested to know whether he tests positive as a carrier having had the virus before.
    If the political bs of breaking chains of transmission by isolating despite immunity turns out to be a medical necessity then we're all screwed.
  • pangolin said:

Apparently 10% of people in the UK had antibodies in December, obviously we hadn't done many vaccinations then so it would mostly be from actually having the virus.

There's been the best part of 2 million positive tests since the start of December which probably means 6 million more infections. Add on 4 million vaccinations, and we're getting towards 25% of the population with some immunity. Sounds positive to me - be good if the next 25% can be mostly vaccinations.
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

There's been the best part of 2 million positive tests since the start of December which probably means 6 million more infections. Add on 4 million vaccinations, and we're getting towards 25% of the population with some immunity. Sounds positive to me - be good if the next 25% can be mostly vaccinations.
    You're assuming that no one with a positive has received the vaccination.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    mully79 said:

i'm interested to know whether he tests positive as a carrier having had the virus before.
    If the political bs of breaking chains of transmission by isolating despite immunity turns out to be a medical necessity then we're all screwed.

If he tests negative, that doesn't necessarily prove immunity. Unless I'm misunderstanding your point?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pangolin said:

I'm also probably undercounting positive cases without a test given the positivity rate in December.
  • TheBigBean

pangolin said:

I'm also probably undercounting positive cases without a test given the positivity rate in December.
    Yes. I agree anyway. The rate of infections and vaccinations means there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Ben6899 said:

mully79 said:

If he tests negative, that doesn't necessarily prove immunity. Unless I'm misunderstanding your point?
    Yes, your right but there must come a point when people known to have had covid need to get tested so we know where we are. Sitting in isolation for the sake of it seems crazy and can’t be the plan going forwards after vaccinations.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    mully79 said:

Ben6899 said:

mully79 said:

Yes, your right but there must come a point when people known to have had covid need to get tested so we know where we are. Sitting in isolation for the sake of it seems crazy and can’t be the plan going forwards after vaccinations.

I don't disagree, but I imagine it's possible to be in a scenario which triggers the app and where you don't come into contact with that the other person has breathed out.

So would the person who's previously tested positive, now not testing positive despite the "contact"... would that prove anything concrete? I don't think so.

But I'm no expert. I don't know how we have definitively proven this kind of thing in the past with Chicken Pox, influenza etc.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 said:

mully79 said:

Ben6899 said:

mully79 said:

I don't disagree, but I imagine it's possible to be in a scenario which triggers the app and where you don't come into contact with that the other person has breathed out.

So would the person who's previously tested positive, now not testing positive despite the "contact"... would that prove anything concrete? I don't think so.

But I'm no expert. I don't know how we have definitively proven this kind of thing in the past with Chicken Pox, influenza etc.
    we building a massive sample

If 80% of deaths are over 80 and let's assume there is a 99% take up of vaccinations in that age group then we are about to see a massive reduction in deaths. If govt policy is driven by deaths per day then they can release us back into the wild

as the primary driver is NHS capacity then we may have to wait a little longer to see a successful outcome